title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed to connect FLAC library to Apple Lossless

Help needed to convert FLAC library to Apple Lossless

Hi

Been using dbpoweramp for many years, mainly for ripping CDs to FLAC. I am looking to batch convert my large FLAC library to Apple lossless to allow me to play on the go via all my istuff. I did batch convert to MP3 a few years ago (with great help from garym back in 2013). I'm having a similar problem as all my attempts at converting FLAC to lossless music is showing as lists of songs but not contained within albums. I have moved over to a Mac since my 2013 issues and have the latest versions of batch converter but am at a loss where to start in order to maintain the folder structures when converting?

Also reason I am doing this is that many of my albums when played via iPhone or iPad (using iCloud) don't show track names but list them as genres and I think this is down to using my original converted mp3 file as the source library for my apple music.

If garym is looking at this you helped with my original issues in a thread called Batch Converting dated 07/29/13. I have relooked at your instructions but don't know how to apply these points to latest version of batch converter. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by paul44birch; 12-24-2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling mistake in title

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Help needed to convert FLAC library to Apple Lossless

Quote Originally Posted by paul44birch View Post
    I am looking to batch convert my large FLAC library to Apple lossless to allow me to play on the go via all my istuff. I did batch convert to MP3 a few years ago (with great help from garym back in 2013). I'm having a similar problem as all my attempts at converting FLAC to lossless music is showing as lists of songs but not contained within albums.
    music is showing as lists of songs. Where (in which software) exactly, is this showing?

I have moved over to a Mac since my 2013 issues and have the latest versions of batch converter but am at a loss where to start in order to maintain the folder structures when converting?
    When converting, what have you selected/set in the Output To drop-down box?

Also reason I am doing this is that many of my albums when played via iPhone or iPad (using iCloud) don't show track names but list them as genres and I think this is down to using my original converted mp3 file as the source library for my apple music.
    This (Apple) issue has been discussed (and resolved) a couple of times recently in these forums. Have a quick search/look for the answers.

Hi mville

The issue shows up in Apple Music when selecting music from my music library (drawn from iCloud and made up from my mp3 music file stored on my synology NAS (these were converted for this purpose from my FLAC files).

When converting i selected folders and sub folders

I realise it has been discussed and have done a few web searches myself. I can resolve the problem but only on an album by album basis, which would take me weeks! I did a test and converted some files from FLAC to lossless and they now show up fine in Apple music. I am therefore trying to create a new Apple lossless library for Apple iCloud to use as my music.

Hope this helps?

Regards

Paul

Also title of thread should say 'convert FLAC' not 'connect FLAC'. I have edited it but the edit is not showing yet.

dBpoweramp Guru

The issue shows up in Apple Music when selecting music from my music library (drawn from iCloud and made up from my mp3 music file stored on my synology NAS (these were converted for this purpose from my FLAC files).
    Sorry I am confused. Are you now referring to the mp3 files you converted in 2013 OR your recent attempt at converting FLAC to Apple lossless?

When converting i selected folders and sub folders
    Must be different on the apple version of the software as I do not have a folders and sub folders option in the Output To drop-down box (I am running windows dBpoweramp R16.3).

... just had a quick look at the 2013 thread. garym suggested using:
    [TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath]\[origfilename][][]

so, why not use this instead of folders and sub folders e.g. if the source flacs are in G:\Music\FLAC and you are converting to G:\Music\ALAC?

I realise it has been discussed and have done a few web searches myself. I can resolve the problem but only on an album by album basis, which would take me weeks! I did a test and converted some files from FLAC to lossless and they now show up fine in Apple music. I am therefore trying to create a new Apple lossless library for Apple iCloud to use as my music.
    How are you resolving the Title/Genre (and/or Style) issue on a an album by album basis? I convert flac to mp3 for Windows iTunes/iPod Classic and I do not have this issue, which seems to be occurring recently for Apple users, since the introduction last year of the Work Name tag in iTunes.
    Last edited by mville; 12-24-2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added ref to 2013 thread

Thanks again mville. I&*8217;m out and on my mobile so will reply properly later to your questions

Hi again mville

Yes my first answer may have confused. I am seeing the list of tracks in the folder I am copying the converted FLAC files to ie my Synology NAS. I have created a folder called Apple music.

Not sure what you mean by output to dropdown, but when I go into batch converter, the first window shows a list of sources from where to select the music to be converted. I select the appropriate ones and check the boxes that the 2 blue dots appear (for folders & sub folders). How/where would I apply garyms formula?

Maybe I'm trying the using a sledgehammer to crack an egg approach and should just stick with my existing mp3 files (not all show incorrect track names but its my nature to want everything just right.

You are correct in that this issue seems to originate from Apples introduction of the work name tag. I can fix the issue on individual albums by going into iTunes and making changes to the track preferences.

Regards

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes my first answer may have confused. I am seeing the list of tracks in the folder I am copying the converted FLAC files to ie my Synology NAS. I have created a folder called Apple music.

Not sure what you mean by output to dropdown, but when I go into batch converter, the first window shows a list of sources from where to select the music to be converted. I select the appropriate ones and check the boxes that the 2 blue dots appear (for folders & sub folders). How/where would I apply garyms formula?
    I was referring to the converter window not the selection window, of Batch Converter:

If you select Edit Dynamic Naming, you can set the Base Location e.g. G:\Music\FLAC and Dynamic Naming e.g.
    [TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][]\[origfilename]

You are correct in that this issue seems to originate from Apples introduction of the work name tag. I can fix the issue on individual albums by going into iTunes and making changes to the track preferences.
    So, in iTunes you could select all tracks affected by the issue, not just select individual albums. Alternatively, according to the Apple forums, you can create a smart playlist, which automatically updates with the affected tracks, so making track selection simple.
    Last edited by mville; 12-24-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: corrected dynamic naming string

How do yo get to that screen. I get this..
    Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 18.13.26.jpg

Also in iTunes how can I select all effected files? I would have to go through each album in my collection to identify which shows wrong track information unless there is an easier way?

dBpoweramp Guru

How do yo get to that screen. I get this..
    Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 18.13.26.jpg
    It is the same screen, just your software is for the Mac, mine is for Windows.

Also, you mentioned earlier Not sure what you mean by output to dropdown.

However, I can see the Output To dropdown, right in the middle of this screenshot

Also in iTunes how can I select all effected files? I would have to go through each album in my collection to identify which shows wrong track information unless there is an easier way?
    Check on the Apple forums as there are solutions posted there.

Ah OK I see it now. Sorry about being a bit of a numpty! I will now have a go at what you suggest. Thanks for all your help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul, just saw this and it looks like mville has set you on the right path to converting your files while maintaining your folder/subfolder structure.

Hi garym. I have not needed to use batch converter since our last forum exchange back in 2013 and as explained above I am trying to use it again to convert FLAC to Apple Lossless. mville has helped and I am just about to have a go having just had my Christmas dinner and while my wife watches strictly come dancing!

Hope you don't mind if I fire any more questions your way if I have any issues?

Regards

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi garym. I have not needed to use batch converter since our last forum exchange back in 2013 and as explained above I am trying to use it again to convert FLAC to Apple Lossless. mville has helped and I am just about to have a go having just had my Christmas dinner and while my wife watches strictly come dancing!

Hope you don't mind if I fire any more questions your way if I have any issues?

Regards

Paul
    happy to help if I can. I don't use apple lossless or Mac, but generally process is the same. Merry Christmas! I'm listening to some Christmas tunes (blues and rock), drinking craft beer and my wife is messing about in the garden (it's Florida!).

Re: Help needed to connect FLAC library to Apple Lossless

OK I have followed instructions (I think). Set up a folder to receive the test files called Apple. All files appear to have copied to lossless correctly now with all folders in place, however there seems to be a problem of additional sub folders being added to my Apple folder.

here is how I have music converter set up:
    Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 19.48.52.jpg

and here is how the files appear in the Apple file:
    Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 19.49.10.jpg

See how the extra folders...Paul Whitehead/(thats me)/Music/FLAC now appear

What am I doing wrong?