title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problem batch converting compressed FLAC files to uncompressed

Problem batch converting compressed FLAC files to uncompressed

I originally ripped my CDs some years ago with dBpoweramp v14 to FLAC using the default level 5 compression. I want to uncompress them because I've discovered that my Linn DS sounds better with uncompressed files (another discussion; put that to one side for now).

Using Batch Converter v16 which I've just upgraded to, I set about uncompressing them, saving the new files to new locations, not overwriting them. At the same time I re-named all files to a consistent tag based system of [album artist]/[album]/[track] - [title] because I'd not been 100% consistent with the original rips. I set the conversion up in batches of approx 2000 files at a time just working my way through A - Z.

Everything seemed to have worked just fine, with the files named as I wanted and in the correct file structure, but I've now discovered that not all albums have been uncompressed. Some have some havn't.

Any ideas as to what's going on and what I do about it?

Many thanks, Chris

Re: Problem batch converting compressed FLAC files to uncompressed

More information: It looks as though some albums have been partially uncompressed. An example for a single track:

The original track file Audio Properties (right clic in Windows File Explorer) says Size 26.32MB (63% Compressed) Original Size 70.05MB
    The batch uncompressed file Audio Properties says Size 49.67MB (30% Compressed) Original Size 70.05MB

I set the batch converter to verify after conversion and never had any errors reported.

Yet more information: I just re-ripped the above individual track to uncompressed FLAC.

The Audio Properties now says Size 49.73MB (30% Compressed) Original Size 70.05MB

Pretty much the same as the batch converted file. The only thing I can see that's a bit odd is that it says it's a 2,116kbps (DVD) 24bit, 44.1KHz. Well it's not, it's a standard CD.

Administrator

HDCD? that would be 24 bit.

24 bit flac files cannot be stored as uncompressed.