title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inconsistent result from 'New Albums' and from searching...

Administrator

Re: Inconsistent result from 'New Albums' and from searching...

Possible issue noted.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks Spoon. I'll be interested to see if there's an actual issue with Asset or if it's down to my 'unique' tagging, although having checked I can't see anything obviously wrong there.
    I did uninstall/remove settings/reboot/reinstall Asset, but no difference in the 'New Albums' results.

Mick

Administrator

If this album has an Album Artist assigned for all the tracks, then it should be only showing tracks from this album, if it is not then it is an oversight in asset.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If this album has an Album Artist assigned for all the tracks, then it should be only showing tracks from this album, if it is not then it is an oversight in asset.
    I don't tend to use ALBUM ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST tags and as a result very few of my CD rips have them.

Mick

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mickc View Post
    I don't tend to use ALBUM ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST tags and as a result very few of my CD rips have them.
    I don't understand why not. How is server/player software going to know what the album artist is, if you don't populate album artist?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So you have albums called "Singles", with Album Artist not set (so I presume if you browse "Album artist", you just have one container called "unknown" or "undefined"?) I can see why Asset would group them altogether as one album called "Singles", with various artists, all under an "unknown" album artist. It would need to be clever enough to group all the tracks of the same artist in one "Singles" album for each. How would it handle compilations? Or tracks with multiple artists? Unlikely, but imagine there are two "Singles" albums by artists A and B, and one track appears in both because it was a collab. or duet, with two artist tags (A and B). Which album would they appear in? Both twice? Tricky....!
    Last edited by timster67; 01-17-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Shooting the breeze....

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I don't understand why not. How is server/player software going to know what the album artist is, if you don't populate album artist?
    Why do I need to tell the server software who the album artist is? I use ARTIST search almost exclusively. Compilations have the COMPILATION tag set and Asset handles them to suit me.

My tagging is very minimal. Usually:-

ARTIST - Fred Smith
    ARTIST SORT - Smith, Fred
    ALBUM - album title
    GENRE - xyz
    TITLE - abc
    TRACK - 01
    YEAR - 1234

Mick

EDIT: Ok, so...! Just set album artist on the three albums mentioned before, and both new albums and a search for 'singles' works as it should, so it looks like I have a bit of a tagging mission to go on. However, I still can't quite see why two of the three albums didn't turn up in the 'singles' search - none had album artist populated and yet the Alison Moyet one appeared. So far as the 'new albums' thing goes, I guess I'd only see that issue if other albums had the exact same name (I have very few 'greatest hits' albums), so even with a library of nigh-on 4,000 albums I'd not see the issue very often.
    I could possibly get away with the 'fill album artist field from artist' option in Asset setup.
    Probably started off this way ripping ten years ago because I had very few compilations, so as far as I'm concerned Artist would be the same as Album Artist on 99% of my ripped music.
    Last edited by mickc; 01-17-2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Being a bit of a plonker...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mickc View Post
    Why do I need to tell the server software who the album artist is? I use ARTIST search almost exclusively. Compilations have the COMPILATION tag set and Asset handles them to suit me.
    In most server/player software Artist (and Title) refer to the track, whereas Album Artist (and Album) refer to the album.

Of course, you can do whatever you like with tags but IMO, to ignore server/player software tag handling, is asking for trouble.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    In most server/player software Artist (and Title) refer to the track, whereas Album Artist (and Album) refer to the album.

Of course, you can do whatever you like with tags but IMO, to ignore server/player software tag handling, is asking for trouble.
    I do appreciate that, but as I clumsily said earlier, when I bought my first DS ten years ago, I had next to no compilations, so as far as my collection went then, Artist WAS Album Artist.
    I have set the 'autofill Album Artist from Artist' option in Asset and I'll see how I get on.
    Thank you (and you, Timster!) for your comments.

Mick