title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

windows media audio cd quality

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

windows media audio cd quality

what is the bitrate for cd quality in windows media audio 9. Please specify for both CBR AND VBR. Also does wma provide the same quality as mp3s at half the bitrate?
  • Unregistered

Re: windows media audio cd quality

Originally posted by Unregistered
    what is the bitrate for cd quality in windows media audio 9. Please specify for both CBR AND VBR. Also does wma provide the same quality as mp3s at half the bitrate?

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

This is an easy question to ask and a hard one to answer.
      Some of the easier parts first.
      Many very-well informed people do assert thatwma provide the same quality as mp3's at half the bit-rate and typically they compare 64 kbs wma to 128 kbs mp3 files. My own experience is that I much prefer 128 kbs. files to 64 kbs. wma files. But wma is a superior codec at higher compression settings.
      Second, I don't think that cbr or vbr setting should affect sound quality, they should only affect compression.
      "CD quality" is a subjective term. I usually use mp3, ogg or musepack settings of 192 (for mp3) or above except when listening or working with tracks which were originally encoded at a lower bitrate. I do not work with the wma format but my rough guess is that I would want to encode to at least 128 kbs. and, more likely, 160 kbs. to obtain what I felt would be a quality roughly equivalent to 192 kbs mp3 setting (which is sort of my idea of "CD quality").
      But this term is so objective, if you really care about the answer you really should do your own listening tests.
      Best wishes,
      Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Correction. The portion of my reply that reads:
        My own experience is that I much prefer 128 kbs. files to 64 kbs. wma files. But wma is a superior codec at higher compression settings.
        SHOULD read:
        My own experience is that I much prefer 128 kbs. mp3 files to 64 kbs. wma files. But wma is a superior codec at lowerer compression settings.

My apologies for any confusion this may have created.
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

no one noticed i guess where not codec junkies around here :p

i do like the WMA lossless though.

Comment

Working...

]]>