title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asset R6.1 beta for Mac/Linux

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Asset R6.1 beta for Mac/Linux

another interesting one concerning ordering, which may be my lack of understanding but here goes. I have a flac file with the relevant metadata set as follows COMPOSER=André Previn and COMPOSERSORT=Previn, André. I have Asset set up to only show in the sort location so in theory, if I have understood things correctly, it should use COMPOSERSORT and it should show up with the P's, but it doesn't, it orders with the A's. If, however, I remove the accents and just use plain ASCII text so COMPOSER=Andre Previn and COMPOSERSORT=Previn, Andre it orders as expected. Do the non-ASCII characters cause something to happen to the sorting or the original scanning?
    Philip

dBpoweramp Guru

In which client software are you seeing this behaviour?

FYI, in Asset R6.1 for windows, I have COMPOSER=André Previn and COMPOSERSORT=Previn, André and in foobar2000 and Asset Control, it's sorted under P, not A.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    In which client software are you seeing this behaviour?

FYI, in Asset R6.1 for windows, I have COMPOSER=André Previn and COMPOSERSORT=Previn, André and in foobar2000 and Asset Control, it's sorted under P, not A.
    running the latest beta 5 version of 601 on the RPi

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by psweetie View Post
    running the latest beta 5 version of 601 on the RPi
    I meant, in which software (client software) are you seeing Previn, André sorted under A, not which version of Asset (server software) are you using.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I meant, in which software (client software) are you seeing Previn, André sorted under A, not which version of Asset (server software) are you using.
    Tried it with the Naim software and with c5, a more generic DLNA control point. Same with both.
    Philip

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Tried it with the Naim software and with c5, a more generic DLNA control point. Same with both.
    Philip

dBpoweramp Guru

Philip
    OK. Please can you confirm one other thing, your flac files are using COMPOSERSORT and not COMPOSER SORT?

It is possible that the Raspberry Pi Release 6 version does not support unicode characters. Spoon or PeterP would have to confirm this.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

yes, did try both but now def have COMPOSERSORT (and CONDUCTORSORT, ARTISTSORT, etc.). In the end I have simplified the metadata by removing all not ASCII chars from the library which works fine and is at least transferrable across operating systems!

Super Moderator

Asset handles sort values by taking the first sighted ARTISTSORT/COMPOSERSORT/etc for each ARTIST/COMPOSER/etc and keeping it in its database. It does not notice that the files have been retagged or that the value it keeps is no longer present in your library. It's confusing because different Asset installs behave differently depending on file indexing order or other leftovers from old tags that you had at some point bfore.

One way to get rid of unwanted entries it to make sure that your files are tagged consistently and perform a full rescan discarding all previously indexed data.

Another way - if you're feeling up to it - is to extract Asset's uMediaLibraryMainDBv5.bin and edit it with SQLite Database Browser - manually fix offending entries in t_artist lines.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Had a play with SQLite browser and found that 2,460 out of 3,954 records in the t_artist table had no sortvalue. When I checked with MP3Tag there were no artists without an artistsort entry. Just completely rescanned the library, all 21k + files and the results are the same, still a significant number of records with no sort value set. Not planning on amending every one of those entried by hand, is there anything else that could cause it?
    Philip

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Reduced my library to a single file and every time it is rescanned I get the same result. No sort value in t_artist despite the populated tags for artist and artist sort. Have sent you a representative file.
    Philip

dBpoweramp Guru

Had a play with SQLite browser and found that 2,460 out of 3,954 records in the t_artist table had no sortvalue. When I checked with MP3Tag there were no artists without an artistsort entry. Just completely rescanned the library, all 21k + files and the results are the same, still a significant number of records with no sort value set. Not planning on amending every one of those entried by hand, is there anything else that could cause it?
    I believe there is a problem with Asset parsing the Artist tag and have done for a while now.

I mentioned a possible related problem with Asset R6.1 for windows here (see post no. 12):
    uMediaLibrary-dumpdb.exe output, multi-value tags are not consistent

a few months ago, which I only stumbled upon when reading the uMediaLibrary-dumpdb.exe output. Using DB Browser for SQLite and sql shows an issue with the t_artist table, similar to what you describe i.e. no sort value. I don't know if the issue is exactly the same, but there is an issue here.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the bug report.

Asset looks for "artist sort" while the commonly used FLAC field is "artistsort". I'm fixing it so each way works from the next update on.

Sadly the proper field name is not defined in the specification - FLAC metadata spec points you at the Vorbis Comment document, and the Vorbis Comment document defines only the most basic fields.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Great, thanks Peter. Is the same true of albumsort as that also did not seem to be consistently populated and is 100% with my data?

Super Moderator

Correct, "Album Sort" was looked for instead of more commonly used "albumsort" without the space.
    Beta 8 has been posted - hopefully the last beta before R6.1 stable. The sort field handling has been corrected so you don't need to retag your files.