title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: New User Questions

New User Questions

I just got dbpoweramp (was using iTunes) at the urging of the audio guys at a high-end stereo shop nearby, and rip to a NAS drive that is accessed with Sonos.

My first rip was a commercial CD ... there were were no conflicts with metadata, and the "Accurate (x)" was good. Sweet...

I have some CDs that were burned for me. In some instances, meta data are detected in both dB and iTunes. For others, iTunes sees meta data but dB does not. In yet others, dB sees meta data, and iTunes does not. And metadata for another is not seen with either. Any explanation?

Also, I'm not sure what Rip Status "AR (25) [green check] Secure" actually means, and all tracks say the same thing. The web page says "Your ripping result disagrees with [25] other peoples rips, the green i indicates that frames had to be re-ripped, possibly an undetected error has slipped through. If all tracks except one have an AccurateRip verification, and the confidence (number shown in brackets) is more than one, it is likely your rip has errors." So, this means that my rip has 25 errors? Again, the source CD is a rip ...

Alrighty ...

Administrator

Re: New User Questions

If you are using CDs which are burned, you cannot realistically expect metadata, as the track starting offsets can be wrong (which is used for metadata request).

The 25, means there are 25 people who have the same result on that CD, but yours does not match theirs, if all the tracks are the same, then you will likely have a different CD to them (CDs are released in batches, called pressings).

I figured burned CDs would be sub-par ... some "work" for metadata, some don't.... thanks for the reply !!!!!

Another question, if anyone sees it ... I decided not to make a new thread. I have a Sonos system that feeds into my main system (Arcam amp, Vandersteen speakers) so I rip to a NAS drive, and Sonos accesses those files. The guys at the stereo shop suggested ripping to ALAC, since I'm a "Mac" guy, but I'm not really using a computer to listen to the CDs (i use Sonos, as I said). I see that the "Ripper Setup Guide" uses FLAC as the standard. Should I use FLAC???? Does it really matter???

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    Another question, if anyone sees it ... I decided not to make a new thread. I have a Sonos system that feeds into my main system (Arcam amp, Vandersteen speakers) so I rip to a NAS drive, and Sonos accesses those files. The guys at the stereo shop suggested ripping to ALAC, since I'm a "Mac" guy, but I'm not really using a computer to listen to the CDs (i use Sonos, as I said). I see that the "Ripper Setup Guide" uses FLAC as the standard. Should I use FLAC???? Does it really matter???
    If you're using SONOS as your music server, I recommend FLAC files. Unless you need to play through itunes, there is an important reason that FLAC files are better as lossless files. FLAC files have a built in CRC that allows for one to test later on (in a batch manner) whether one has any corrupted files. ALAC doesn't have this.

thanks Gary... here's another question...

The instructions say: "Once a CD is inserted metadata is read from the Internet, also an offer is made to find the drive offset ...", but I've yet to have this offer made. Any insights????

thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    The instructions say: "Once a CD is inserted metadata is read from the Internet, also an offer is made to find the drive offset ...", but I've yet to have this offer made. Any insights???
    I believe this relates only to the Windows version and with the Apple version, offsets are set automatically. The fact that you are getting AccurateRips, suggests the drive is configured correctly.