title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: dbpoweramp 16.3/16.4 & FLAC 1.3.2 CPU Problems - A Request

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

dbpoweramp 16.3/16.4 & FLAC 1.3.2 CPU Problems - A Request

"The libraries for FLAC 1.3.2 contain code which will not run on all CPU types, unlike the predecessor. We held out for 1 year to release 1.3.2 and felt the need to include it in dBpoweramp as for 99.9999% of people 1.3.2 runs fine on their system."

So this affects all AMD Athlon II CPU's. so that 6 9's isn't realistic.

1) would you please seriously consider releasing a codec of FLAC 1.3.1 that can be installed in 16.3/16.4 and beyond. Leaving older systems in the dust (like Apple) isn't fair when the rest of the package works fine, it's just this one encoder (yes I know I could set the compression to 0 or 3, but we are talking thousands of files and that lost space adds up). Other than time is there a defensible reason not to release a FLAC 1.3.1 that would work with 16.3 and beyond?

2) Verify Written Audio is broken. If FLAC 1.3.2 doesn't write any data the Verify DOES NOT generate an error. A data stream length of zero is not seen as an error (yes I know it Technically isn't an error) but when Data goes into the Flac encoder and no data comes out THAT is an error that Verify Written Audio should be making noise about.

Thank you for your time.

Re: dbpoweramp 16.3/16.4 & FLAC 1.3.2 CPU Problems - A Request

I've been wondering why I get crashes of CoreConverter.exe whenever I try to rip CD's with dBpoweramp 16.3 and 16.4, whilst all is well with 16.2.

I rip to FLAC, and though my processor is an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, I suspect that I'm running into the same thing.

This is most disappointing to hear.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBaird View Post
    I've been wondering why I get crashes of CoreConverter.exe whenever I try to rip CD's with dBpoweramp 16.3 and 16.4, whilst all is well with 16.2.

I rip to FLAC, and though my processor is an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, I suspect that I'm running into the same thing.

This is most disappointing to hear.
    Read this: dBpoweramp R16.4 & FLAC 1.3.2

Administrator

All those suggestions worked well for me. Since I want to continue to use FLAC compression level 5, I'll use the beta 1.3.3 FLAC.dll.

Thanks!

Just for feedback: I had the same problem with an old computer, but running on Windows 10:
    It created empty FLAC files with latest release of dBpoweramp.

FLAC 1.3.3 beta resolved the problem for me, too!

Well I guess I am also one of the 0,000000001 %
    I was ripping like crazy, only to find out that all my files were empty. After having a look in the forum, I found the 1.3.3 Beta and it works. So thankyou.

But Spoon, maybe a disclaimer on the download would be good, showing there could be problems with the new flac version. That would have saved me a few hours work, I never checked, since dbpoweramp has always been reliable.
    Or why not simply use the Beta in the new download?

Administrator

The beta might have issues, it is unreleased code. Really the people behind FLAC should have made 1.3.3 with the simple fix 1 year ago, they chose not to, and we are in this situation.

Ok, so maybe the safe option would be to offer the older 1.3.1 for your newest Ripper? Just to be on the safe side?

I am doing a lot of ripping and it would be horrible if there were a problem with the flac beta...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MTWolf View Post
    "The libraries for FLAC 1.3.2 contain code which will not run on all CPU types, unlike the predecessor. We held out for 1 year to release 1.3.2 and felt the need to include it in dBpoweramp as for 99.9999% of people 1.3.2 runs fine on their system."

So this affects all AMD Athlon II CPU's. so that 6 9's isn't realistic.
    Are they the only CPUs affected? If not, is there a list of which CPUs are problematic? I have quite an old one in my PC, an Intel Q6600, and just want to make sure all will be well with it.

Cheers

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    Are they the only CPUs affected? If not, is there a list of which CPUs are problematic? I have quite an old one in my PC, an Intel Q6600, and just want to make sure all will be well with it.
    Currently, there is no known list. Read posts no. 1 and 2 here: dBpoweramp R16.3 & FLAC 1.3.2

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Currently, there is no known list. Read posts no. 1 and 2 here: dBpoweramp R16.3 & FLAC 1.3.2
    Aha, I see. Thanks for the link.

I'm on a PC with an Intel Q6600. On the off chance that anyone reading this has the same CPU, please let me know if it did/didn't have issue with that version of FLAC.

Cheers