title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: dBpoweramp V.16.3 FLAC tags "apparently" non-existent after rippiong CD

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

dBpoweramp V.16.3 FLAC tags "apparently" non-existent after rippiong CD

I am baffled by this issue. After ripping a CD with all of the dBpoweramp settings I've been using for at least 6 or 7 years (or more), the target folder for the ripped albums lists the files correctly with the predefined naming convention but they are only 16kB in size. Opening the files with mp3tag yields no metadata at all, with track lengths set to 0:00.

Any idea of what has gone wrong, along with suggestions of where to look for the cause of this problem?

It's not like I'm a newbie here. I've ripped thousands upon thousands of CD successfully...up until the last few weeks.

Thanks for your excellent support. I need it.

Dennis...aka "d2b"

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: dBpoweramp V.16.3 FLAC tags "apparently" non-existent after rippiong CD

Is this the problem you are seeing? It would have only appeared (on some computers only) after the 16.3 update.

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...amp-FLAC-1-3-2

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

Yes, that's the problem alright. My workstation uses AMD Opteron dual-core processors. It "appears" to be OK at compression level 3, but I have misgivings about the codec when combined with dBpoweramp CD Ripper.

If the FLAC 1.3.2 codec fails at compression level 5 on these processors, what guarantee is there that it's still lossless at compression level 3?

Dennis, aka "d2b"

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by d2b View Post
    Yes, that's the problem alright. My workstation uses AMD Opteron dual-core processors. It "appears" to be OK at compression level 3, but I have misgivings about the codec when combined with dBpoweramp CD Ripper.

If the FLAC 1.3.2 codec fails at compression level 5 on these processors, what guarantee is there that it's still lossless at compression level 3?

Dennis, aka "d2b"
    I understand your concern. Do you have PerfectTunes by chance? After ripping when I move my new rips to main storage, I run
    PerfectTunes - AccurateRip check (not using the AR tag) on the files (after they are on the new drive) and certainly if they had AR match, this shows me that they still have an AR match (post copying/moving).

Administrator

FLAC contains a MD5 of the audio which went into the codec before processing, if you convert a FLAC file to >> Test Conversion, if the decoded data does not match this md5 it is reported, if there is no error report the file is 100% correct.