title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Move Asset UpnP from laptop to NAS?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Victorthesecond
    • Feb 2017

Move Asset UpnP from laptop to NAS?

Hi, I run Asset on my laptop and am a "Premium Registered" client. I'm trying to figure out if 1) I should move my music files to a NAS and 2) if can move the Asset program to a NAS. Of special importance (in terms of back-up) are my photographs....which already actually back up to KnowHow Cloud, so the NAS would just offer an extra layer of protection for those.

At the moment, I'm happy with simply running the laptop for music playing to my Muso and using my Android tablet as the means of telling the MuSo what to play, but am exploring a NAS for general back-up purposes as well as music. I'm looking at Synology or QNAP as those seem the best for the MuSo (according to their forum). However, I'm also happy to explore less expensive options such as WD Red drives as long as those to can work with Asset.

I can't seem to find anywhere that tells me which version of Asset I have (ie is it "only" PC or is it a "NAS capable" version....anyone know how to find this out?

Plus, any comment or feedback on best NAS to use with the MuSo would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Mike
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Move Asset UpnP from laptop to NAS?

Asset UPnP is not cross/platform software, i.e. you purchase Asset UPnP for the OS you require.

What OS is your laptop? Which version of Asset did you purchase? If you can't remember, go to Registration Retrieval and enter your Asset order number?

Comment

• Victorthesecond
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by mville
      Asset UPnP is not cross/platform software, i.e. you purchase Asset UPnP for the OS you require.

What OS is your laptop? Which version of Asset did you purchase? If you can't remember, go to Registration Retrieval and enter your Asset order number?
      OK thanks. I've managed to dig out the order and it is for Asset Premium R6.1 which is currently installed on my laptop running Windows 10. The retrieval page seems to indicate I can download a version on to Windows Home Server v1 OR 2011. I dunno if that means I will spend more money but guess it will! Does a NAS come with Windows Home Server pre-installed, or do I need to buy that as well??

(As you can tell, I am not experienced in these things!)

Comment

• Victorthesecond
        • Feb 2017

HI Thanks for the reply.My laptop runs Windows 10 and, according to the registration retreival, my Asset version is Premium R6.1. There is a link through which suggests I can download a version for Windows Home Server (v1 OR 2011, although I have no idea of the difference, nor if that came pre-installed on a NAS)

TBH, everything I see on this subject looks complicated! When I bought the MuSo (which I love), I wasn't aware of the need for Asset (ie the retailer (John Lewis) just told me "yeah, it will stream from your PC", so every step I take is like a new planet given my lack of technological prowess!

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

You cannot purchase WHS Nas any more. You can get a 50% discount to purchase the NAS (QNAP) version of Asset, the offer link is on registration retrieval.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Victorthesecond
            Does a NAS come with Windows Home Server pre-installed, or do I need to buy that as well??
            NAS (network-attached storage) devices come with different operating systems, not just Windows Home Server.

Comment

• Victorthesecond
              • Feb 2017

Thanks folks. Does anyone know if a WD "My Cloud" NAS will work with Asset and MuSo??

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

The wd my cloud will not run Asset.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• timster67
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by Victorthesecond
                  Thanks folks. Does anyone know if a WD "My Cloud" NAS will work with Asset and MuSo??
                  I you want to go the NAS route I wouldn't go for the WD as not many 3rd party applications are written for it. I don't know about MuSo, but I would recommend QNAP for Asset. ARM versions of Synology may be as well but not so simple.

Comment

Working...

]]>