title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Dynamic browsing in QNAP Asset 6

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davmurimd
    • Mar 2016

Dynamic browsing in QNAP Asset 6

I have taken advantage of the flexibility in the Browse Tree in QNAP Asset 6 to make Dynamic Drowsing better fit with the way I browse my albums.. I changed the order of some containers and deleted others. I have never used Jukebox Track Select or Jukebox Album Select, and would like to delete them, but they do not show in the Browse Tree. Can the two Jukebox containers be deleted and if so, how is this done?
  • timster67
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2014

Re: Dynamic browsing in QNAP Asset 6

The Top Level Jukebox containers can be deleted, but it is the main feature of Dynamic Browsing to create dynamic playlists dependent on the criteria you give it. Without creating the jukebox album or track selections, there would be no point in having it. How are you using it to select an album?

Comment

• davmurimd
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by timster67
      The Top Level Jukebox containers can be deleted, but it is the main feature of Dynamic Browsing to create dynamic playlists dependent on the criteria you give it. Without creating the jukebox album or track selections, there would be no point in having it. How are you using it to select an album?
      I do not use jukebox. These containers appear in the second level. For my setup, if the first level is, for example genre, then selecting a genre shows the containers I set in the Browse Tree plus the three lists for albums, tracks and artists and the two jukebox containers.

I never playlists either. I use dynamic browsing to find an Album with a minimum of scrolling.
      Last edited by davmurimd; 12-28-2017, 01:16 PM. Reason: Correction to typing

Comment

• timster67
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • May 2014

Originally posted by davmurimd
        I do not use jukebox. These containers appear in the second level. For my setup, if the first level is, for example genre, then selecting a genre shows the containers I set in the Browse Tree plus the three lists for albums, tracks and artists and the two jukebox containers.

I never playlists either. I use dynamic browsing to find an Album with a minimum of scrolling.
        Then you don't need dynamic browsing. Using your example, you only need select genre at the top level to get the same result, if you have set up your browse tree within it to contain albums tracks and artists. Sounds like you're using the genre of the first level within dynamic browsing, which is unnecessary.

Comment

• davmurimd
          • Mar 2016

Then you don't need dynamic browsing. Using your example, you only need select genre at the top level to get the same result, if you have set up your browse tree within it to contain albums tracks and artists. Sounds like you're using the genre of the first level within dynamic browsing, which is unnecessary.
          I agree I could come to the same result, but I have found the amount of scrolling though albums is reduced using Dynamic Browsing. To put my original question in context I should say a little more how I use Asset browsing. I have set up the Browse Tree to replicate how I used to search though my Cds on the shelf. My collection is mainly classical and I have the Cds ordered by composer with Cds for each composer ordered by genre (orchestral, concerto, choral etc.). When tagging the rips in DBpoweramp I put composer as the first word in the album title, so that sorting by Album is the same as sorting by composer. Until recently when using Asset I have sorted by genre then scrolled through the resulting Albums to find the one I wanted. I have now set up Dynamic Browsing to fine tune the search. For example: for concertos. genre (concerto) - instrument (piano) - soloist (Brendel) - album will show just piano concertos with the Brendel as soloist. Perhaps I am wrong, but as far as I can see there is no way of doing this without using Dynamic Browsing.

Comment

• timster67
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • May 2014

I think I see what you're saying. And I think you could replicate your Dynamic Browsing set up in the main tree to do what you want. Can you just set up the top-level browse tree to be the same as what you have under Dynamic Browsing?
            Otherwise I think you may just have to live with the [..] entries that dynamic browsing automatically generates because that's it's main use.

Comment

• davmurimd
              • Mar 2016

I think I see what you're saying. And I think you could replicate your Dynamic Browsing set up in the main tree to do what you want. Can you just set up the top-level browse tree to be the same as what you have under Dynamic Browsing?
              Otherwise I think you may just have to live with the [..] entries that dynamic browsing automatically generates because that's it's main use.
              If I understand the main browse tree correctly, to have a similar set up to Dynamic Browsing would require containers for other tags (soloist, instrument, orchestra etc) inside genre. I do have these tags in the top level of the main browse tree. These provide alternative ways of making the initial selection of albums, but do not permit a second level of sorting. I would have to spend some time playing with the settings to see how second level might work out. Dynamic Browsing does this very simply. As you suggest it may be easiest to live with a few unused containers!

Thank you for your suggestions

Comment

• timster67
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • May 2014

What if you add a +root under those containers? Would that not give you another level?
                Just a thought.

Comment

• davmurimd
                  • Mar 2016

What if you add a +root under those containers? Would that not give you another level?
                  Just a thought.
                  I put +\root into genre as you suggested. This gave me an additional level. For example I was able to choose genre - orchestral, then selected root and could choose composer. This filtering gave me the reduction in scrolling I was looking for whilst maintaining simplicity. I was not able to continue the sequence to the next level to select conductor. To do that either I would probably need to add +\root into all the other containers. I have just over 1000 albums, so in practice I hink the one additional level will be sufficient.

Thank you very much for your help and advice

Comment

Working...

]]>