title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD track listing in alphabetical order

CD track listing in alphabetical order

I ripped CDs to FLAC files on a Windows 10 PC using CD ripper and see the correct track order in file explorer and in Windows Media Player. But when I try streaming them to an Onkyo NR545 receiver using an Onkyo Remote 3 app on my iPhone, the tracks show up in alphabetical order and play in that order. I would prefer to play them in the original CD track order. Anyone know how to do this?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD track listing in alphabetical order

Quote Originally Posted by dsb53 View Post
    I ripped CDs to FLAC files on a Windows 10 PC using CD ripper and see the correct track order in file explorer and in Windows Media Player. But when I try streaming them to an Onkyo NR545 receiver using an Onkyo Remote 3 app on my iPhone, the tracks show up in alphabetical order and play in that order. I would prefer to play them in the original CD track order. Anyone know how to do this?
    The onkyo is probably using file names rather than the metadata tags. Your naming structure is probably something like: trackname.flac. Needs to be "01 - trackname.flac" or "01. trackname.flac" etc.

This is the dynamic naming string I use to achieve this (as well as automatically handle compilations, multidisk, etc.)

[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]
    Last edited by garym; 12-23-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    The onkyo is probably using file names rather than the metadata tags. Your naming structure is probably something like: trackname.flac. Needs to be "01 - trackname.flac" or "01. trackname.flac" etc.

This is the dynamic naming string I use to achieve this (as well as automatically handle compilations, multidisk, etc.)
    Actually naming structure is <track*> <artist> - <track name>.flac. As in:
    01 Paul Simon - The Boy In The Bubble.flac

So shouldn't Onkyo be ordering them correctly?

Also where does dynamic naming string get entered?

dBpoweramp Guru

when I try streaming them to an Onkyo NR545 receiver using an Onkyo Remote 3 app on my iPhone, the tracks show up in alphabetical order and play in that order.
    What server software is being used to stream the tracks to the Onkyo NR545 receiver?

dBpoweramp Guru

Also where does dynamic naming string get entered?
    CD Ripper Naming (bottom left of the main CD Ripper window).

dBpoweramp Guru

Actually naming structure is <track*> <artist> - <track name>.flac. As in:
    01 Paul Simon - The Boy In The Bubble.flac

So shouldn't Onkyo be ordering them correctly?
    My hypothesis was not correct then. Not sure why Onkyo not handling this (tags and name are correct and in "number" order). mville's question becomes key (what is streaming to the Onkyo and what settings may be available to this streamer?).

My hypothesis was not correct then. Not sure why Onkyo not handling this (tags and name are correct and in "number" order). mville's question becomes key (what is streaming to the Onkyo and what settings may be available to this streamer?).
    I assume it's Windows Media Player since that's the default DLNA server on Windows 10? I haven't installed any other DLNA server. Do I need to in order to resolve this?

dBpoweramp Guru

I assume it's Windows Media Player since that's the default DLNA server on Windows 10? I haven't installed any other DLNA server. Do I need to in order to resolve this?
    sorry, can't help. I don't use Windows Media Player (and if you do, you better make sure you turn off all the automatic settings, as it is known for modifying your tags and artwork without your permission). I can't recommend DLNA players as my network streamers don't use that protocol. Illustrate, maker of dbpa, also produces ASSET, a DLNA/UPNP server. Maybe you should do try the free trial of that?

sorry, can't help. I don't use Windows Media Player (and if you do, you better make sure you turn off all the automatic settings, as it is known for modifying your tags and artwork without your permission). I can't recommend DLNA players as my network streamers don't use that protocol. Illustrate, maker of dbpa, also produces ASSET, a DLNA/UPNP server. Maybe you should do try the free trial of that?
    Asset free version works great. Tracks are now listed in Remote 3 app as they are on CD. Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Asset free version works great. Tracks are now listed in Remote 3 app as they are on CD. Thanks.
    great!