title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Rip a Complete CD Without Hanging

Can't Rip a Complete CD Without Hanging

I just rebuilt Intel Core 2 Quad CPU desktop with 8 GB of RAM & Win7Pro. Purchased R16.3 after using 14.4 for years.

As I get back to ripping, I find that tracks hang on encoding frequently. I can't rip an entire CD without hanging. Running multi-core helps; but one or more of the cores hangs during a rip. I've seen all four hang. Same happens when I run single core. I'm ripping to mp3 and m4a simultaneously; but have run mp3 only and still seen it happen.

Any ideas?
    Happy Holidays!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Can't Rip a Complete CD Without Hanging

Any other music software like Windows Media Player running in the background accessing the CD drive?

Dat Ei

Administrator

Try ripping to the local HDD.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ran some tests today. It is independent of running a music player or local vs ext HDD. My results follow; but I couldn't find a clear result. Please let me know what you think.
    1) TEST: No music player open, light CPU usage
    CONFIG: Fresh boot, opened one chrome window & CD Ripper, my standard target configuration - rip to ext HDD & a network drive.
    RESULT: Hung on first track.

2) TEST: CPU usage - Ripper only open application
    CONFIG: Fresh boot, only CD Ripper open, my standard config:
    RESULT: hung

3) TEST: Use local HDD
    CONFIG: Fresh boot, only CD Ripper open, configured with C: as target drive:
    RESULT: Passed

4) TEST: CPU usage - Light
    CONFIG: Fresh boot, Directory explorer and Notepad open:

5) TEST: CPU usage - Ripper only
    CONFIG: Fresh boot, only CD Ripper open, configured with C: as target drive:

6) TEST: CPU usage - Light
    CONFIG: Directory explorer and Notepad open:

7) TEST: CPU usage - Ripper & Notepad
    CONFIG: Fresh boot, Notepad open:

8) TEST: External Drives (my target config)
    CONFIG: Notepad open, my standard config:

9) TEST: Fresh boot,
    CONFIG: Fresh boot, Notepad open, my standard target config:

10) TEST: Open windows
    CONFIG: Notepad, 1 dir, 2 chrome windows w 6 & 3 tabs each open, my standard config, not active on keyboard:

11) TEST: Open windows some usage
    CONFIG: Notepad, 2 dirs, 2 chrome windows w 6 & 3 tabs each open, my standard config, active in Chrome:
    RESULT: Hung on one Track

12) TEST: Open windows, light usage
    CONFIG: Notepad, 2 dirs, 2 chrome windows w 6 & 3 tabs each open, my standard config, active in chrome during encoding of first 4 tracks.
    RESULT: Rip completed; but error on 1 track (Error overwriting)
    My runs, until the last 1 were not overwriting existing files.

Administrator

When it hangs, you mouse stops?

I meant to be more specific. The hangs are in CD Ripper or in a process underneath it. The encoding sits at 0% and the elapsed time counter continues to count. I have attached a screenshot as an example.
    dBpoweramp_CD_Ripper_Hang_Screenshot.jpg

dBpoweramp Guru

For what it's worth:

Occasionally I find CD Ripper stopping for a few seconds, with the drive spinning down, after a track is ripped and before its encoding begins. Once encoding completes, the drive spins up and ripping resumes. It happens when encoding on CPU1 or CPU2; I have not seen encoding using the other two cores on my CPU (an Intel Core i7 from 2009). The delay before encoding has never been any longer than about 5 to 10 seconds or so, though, and ripping has never resumed before the encoding has completed. I rip exclusively to FLAC, and do so with other applications open but not being actively used during the ripping process.

Thanks Jailhouse. I have, in the past, been able to be using other applications. Even so, my testing showed that it might hang even when I wasn't being active in other windows.

I noticed that when it is hung, the processes are still showing as seen in the attachment. Capture.PNG I can open and run a new instance.

dBpoweramp Guru

@galtfrog Your screenshot in reply 6 shows 13 successful track rips and two not completed. Have you tried a second rip, choosing only those hung tracks?

When the application hangs on encoding one or more tracks, I cannot do anything in the application. I have to force it closed through task manager or taskbar. I can open a new instance and run it on the remaining tracks. This may take multiple tries. For example, 1st run - 17/20 tracks successfully encode, 2nd run - 2/3 remaining tracks encode, 3rd run - last track encodes.

Administrator

Try ripping just track 1 over and over. When does it hang? during encoding (after ripping if on secure mode) or during encoding.

I ripped one track 5 times in secure mode without a hang. When it does hang it is always after rip at "CPU* Encoding 0%" where * is 1 to 4. Perhaps in the handoff from rip to encode.

I've attached a pdf showing two screenshots. The first shows the processes running just after starting Rip - CDGrab.exe is running for the main application and 3 instances of CoreConverter.exe are running. The second screenshot shows the running processes as the rip progresses - multiple instances of CoreConverter.exe. Capture2.PNG

The issue seems to be with CoreConverter.exe. Manually ending the Core.Converter.exe process in Windows Task Manager completes the Rip, displays the Information popup and I am able to continue.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by galtfrog View Post
    Perhaps in the handoff from rip to encode.
    I opened Resource Monitor from Task Manager and see activity of some sort on all 8 CPUs (4 cores w/2 threads each); in Task Manager I see Steam, Rapport, ESET and various other background tasks running intermittently. So it's easily possible to have all cores/threads in use when CoreConverter.exe needs to run. But for me it runs fairly soon (perhaps because of the eight threads), while for you it seems that CoreConverter.exe queues up for an available core and is subsequently completely ignored.

Now I'm curious. I'm going rip some disks with Task Manager open.

Does paused encoding always hang until you end the CoreConverter.exe process, or do you have instances where it finally runs?

What I define as hanging is when the encoding percentage stays at 0% for minutes. I have left it for as long as 6 minutes or so several times and even longer a time or two.