title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: mp3 files - weird result in iTunes/iOS Music sync

mp3 files - weird result in iTunes/iOS Music sync

Hi all,

I recently ripped a big bunch of CDs using multi-encoder (FLAC and mp3). The FLAC files are fine, but there's something up with the mp3s... they seem ok in iTunes, but when I sync onto a device (iPod with Music app, iOS 11.2.1) the album names are ok but the track Titles have all been replaced with the 'Style' tag (which I didn't know even existed until I went back and checked the ID tags on the file).

When the track is played, however, the Music app shows the correct title in the player. The tracks are also out of order.

See screenshot attached

File 21-12-2017, 21 39 48.jpg

Eliminating some possibilities:
    - I ripped a CD direct from iTunes, and that came out fine on the iPod
    - I have mp3 files I ripped with dbpoweramp CD ripper a couple of years ago, and they also came out fine when synced now with iTunes/iPod. As far I can can remember, I have the same settings now (although it's a different version on a different PC).

Finally, each time I sync the iPod, iTunes copies the whole library, even though all the files are already there. I'm thinking this must be somehow connected to the tag/display problem.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? And how i can fix it? Really hoping I don't need to re-rip all those CDs...

Thanks in advance for any input.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: mp3 files - weird result in iTunes/iOS Music sync

If you haven't changed anything in dBpoweramp and the mp3 albums appear ok in iTunes, then it is probably an Apple issue. Have you tried asking on the Apple forums?

Also, have a look at this: Need help with FLAC to MP3 conversion for iPod

... and this: Song name shows as Grouping name on iPhone
    Last edited by mville; 12-21-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added links to similar issues

Many thanks mville, that first link helped. iTunes was picking up the 'style' tags and using them in 'title'. When I delete that tag from the mp3 file, everything works fine. I'll go in and delete the field from all the files, which is certainly better than re-ripping.

My next question ... how do I get rid of the 'style' field for future rips? I checked my old rips and it wasn't on those (see below). It also doesn't appear in the editable meta-data for tags when ripping, and I can't see any options in CD ripper. Any ideas?

Old rip:Old rip (2012).PNG
    New rip: New Rip (2017).PNG

Any feedabck appreciated

Simon.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by scalder View Post
    how do I get rid of the 'style' field for future rips? I checked my old rips and it wasn't on those (see below). It also doesn't appear in the editable meta-data for tags when ripping, and I can't see any options in CD ripper. Any ideas?
    Got to CD Ripper Options >> Meta Data & ID Tag >> Write ID Tags. Style is listed here, so un-tick it.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Got to CD Ripper Options >> Meta Data & ID Tag >> Write ID Tags. Style is listed here, so un-tick it.
    So it is! Thanks mville.