title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you submit tags to a database?

How do you submit tags to a database?

I'm ripping some newer classical box sets where there are no tags. As I edit them in CD Ripper how do I submit them to the databases so others have access to them?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How do you submit tags to a database?

Quote Originally Posted by staxSR007 View Post
    I'm ripping some newer classical box sets where there are no tags. As I edit them in CD Ripper how do I submit them to the databases so others have access to them?
    Hi stax,

Menu
    CD Ripper Options
    Send Results to Online Database

Administrator

Note the OS X version cannot submit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Hi stax,

Menu
    CD Ripper Options
    Send Results to Online Database
    This says submitting to AccurateRip database (which I believe is set to do automatically after certain amount of time), this will also upload the metadata tags?
    Last edited by staxSR007; 12-28-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Administrator

No, idtags are not part of accuraterip

dBpoweramp Guru

Lightbulb Re: How do you submit tags to a database?

Quote Originally Posted by staxSR007 View Post
    Stax,

Because I am ripping on a daily basis, my 'submit' frequency is also set to once every 24 hours. But you can set the frequency as long or short as you like. In any event, the process literally only takes seconds, despite how large the 'submit' is.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-29-2017 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Stax,

Because I am ripping on a daily basis, my 'submit' frequency is also set to once every 24 hours. But you can set the frequency as long or short as you like. In any event, the process literally only takes seconds, despite how large the 'submit' is.

Paul
    Paul, I think you're actually submitting AccurateRip results every 24 hours. This is NOT tag metadata. To submit to tag database, one clicks on the SETTINGS menu item, chooses "Active Providers" and then at the bottom of the dropdown menu there is "submit changes to" freedb. This would submit your manually entered tag data to freedb database.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: How do you submit tags to a database?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Paul, I think you're actually submitting AccurateRip results every 24 hours. This is NOT tag metadata. To submit to tag database, one clicks on the SETTINGS menu item, chooses "Active Providers" and then at the bottom of the dropdown menu there is "submit changes to" freedb. This would submit your manually entered tag data to freedb database.
    Hi Gary,

But would my tag metadata be of use to anyone else? I am assuming the is the submission of the likes of: Producer, Year, Conductor, etc? I mean, if so, then it may not be to anyone else's liking!

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Gary,

But would my tag metadata be of use to anyone else? I am assuming the is the submission of the likes of: Producer, Year, Conductor, etc? I mean, if so, then it may not be to anyone else's liking!

Cheers,

Paul
    Why not. You are a meticulous editor of metadata and this could prove useful to others. The more submissions to the freedb database, the better the data becomes for all.

dBpoweramp Guru

Why not. You are a meticulous editor of metadata and this could prove useful to others. The more submissions to the freedb database, the better the data becomes for all.
    Thanks. So if someone ripped the same CD(s) as I have, then would MY metadata automatically show up in their tags? Or would they have to (somehow) select it?

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks. So if someone ripped the same CD(s) as I have, then would MY metadata automatically show up in their tags? Or would they have to (somehow) select it?
    I'm not sure how the freedb algorithms work for adding submitted items to their database. But I'm pretty sure that you submitting your data doesn't automatically replace other data that might be there. I suspect there is some sort of algorithm that requires a certain number of submissions before something hits the database.

Do keep in mind though that there is lots of bad data already in these databases. Many are based on user submissions and we can all testify to the bizarre entries that sometimes show up from these "crowd sourced" metadata databases. Particularly in the "genre" label it seems.

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm not sure how the freedb algorithms work for adding submitted items to their database. But I'm pretty sure that you submitting your data doesn't automatically replace other data that might be there. I suspect there is some sort of algorithm that requires a certain number of submissions before something hits the database.

Do keep in mind though that there is lots of bad data already in these databases. Many are based on user submissions and we can all testify to the bizarre entries that sometimes show up from these "crowd sourced" metadata databases. Particularly in the "genre" label it seems.
    Yes, Gary. Well you have brought up my next question. There is no regulation (for lack of a better term) as to whether or not an individuals self-created/submitted metadata is actually accurate! There are indeed many cases where the metadata has been nothing short of totally bizarre (eg. Miles Davis's STYLE being 'Country & Western'!). For basic tags, it is usually OK (eg. ALBUM-ARTIST, GENRE, etc); but for the likes of PRODUCER such data is usually non-existent.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-29-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, Gary. Well you have brought up my next question. There is no regulation (for lack of a better term) as to whether or not an individuals self-created/submitted metadata is actually accurate! There are indeed many cases where the metadata has been nothing short of totally bizarre (eg. Miles Davis's STYLE being 'Country & Western'!). For basic tags, it is usually OK (eg. ALBUM-ARTIST, GENRE, etc); but for the likes of PRODUCER such data is usually non-existent.
    Which is why it is a good idea for folks that spend a lot of time entering correct and detailed metadata to submit such metadata to the online databases (e.g., as in doing this via dbpa and the submit to freedb option). I *think* this has to be done while the CD is read, metadata is entered and before the actual ripping. This is NOT like AccurateRip data which can be submitted at a later time.

dBpoweramp Guru

Cheers, Gary; I will have a look tomorrow.

dBpoweramp Guru

I *think* this has to be done while the CD is read, metadata is entered and before the actual ripping. This is NOT like AccurateRip data which can be submitted at a later time.
    Yes, AccurateRip data can be submitted post-rip. I really don't know about FreeB though.