title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White border

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

White border

When I rip tracks with dbpoweramp, there is a jpg file that gets created, called Folder.

Within minutes, that Folder.jpg gets hidden, and thus creates a white border around the Folder artwork.

Why does this happen, and is there anything I can do to stop it happening?

And yes, I have my hidden files and folders ticked and on show.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: White border

Quote Originally Posted by 808beats View Post
    Within minutes, that Folder.jpg gets hidden, and thus creates a white border around the Folder artwork.
    Where is it hidden from what? Which programm shows this effect?

Further: what OS are you using? What music player do you use?

Dat Ei

Administrator

It is likely Windows Media player is taking over that file and replacing it with its own.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Where is it hidden from what? Which programm shows this effect?

Further: what OS are you using? What music player do you use?

Dat Ei
    Within minutes, the folder.jpg disappears, as if it wasn't there in the first place. I view my mp3's in the "My Music" folder on my PC. I am using Windows 10, and I alternate between WMP and Groove.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It is likely Windows Media player is taking over that file and replacing it with its own.
    I'd be surprised if that was the case, as plenty of my mp3's are rare, and don't get found on the internet.

This also happened when I used the Groove player....

dBpoweramp Guru

Within minutes, the folder.jpg disappears, as if it wasn't there in the first place. I view my mp3's in the "My Music" folder on my PC. I am using Windows 10, and I alternate between WMP and Groove.
    Allowing Windows Media Player to access/control your audio library is likely to be the cause of your issues. If you search these forums you will find similar problems.

I would not be surprised if Groove adds a whole set of headaches, also.
    Last edited by mville; 12-18-2017 at 06:15 AM. Reason: added Groove ref

dBpoweramp Guru

The problem is, that the WMP edits your files if it is configured to handle and manage your music files. Once your files are edited, it doesn't matter which player you will use for playing. The best choice is to uninstall WMP, or to stop WMP to manage your music files and to store the music files in a Folder different to the standard folder of WMP.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I have had this problem for over 12 months now. I have only been using WMP for a week, and was using Groove before that.

If I remove both Programs, which player shall I use to play my mp3's?

Administrator

You do not need to remove them, there is a option buried in WMP which stops wmp from downloading art and overwriting the existing.

Folder.jpg is not being deleted, it is being hidden (if you set Windows explorer to show hidden files it will show).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

there is a option buried in WMP which stops wmp from downloading art and overwriting the existing.
    I had already turned that option off.

Folder.jpg is not being deleted, it is being hidden (if you set Windows explorer to show hidden files it will show).
    I already have the show hidden files box ticked, so it shouldn't hide them. The Folder.jpg is there momentarily, and it then disappears.

That's when the white border shows.
    Last edited by 808beats; 12-18-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Administrator

You can post a screen shot? of this white border.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Capture.jpg

Top row, left to right. Folders 1,2, & 3 are fine. 4,5, & 6 have a white border.

Second row are all fine.

Now look inside one of the folders. The first folder view is fine, but all others show a white border.

Capture 2.JPG

Inside one folder

Capture 3.JPG

and inside another folder

Capture 4.JPG

One folder has a Folder.jpg inside, the other doesn't.

Both should have.
    Last edited by 808beats; 12-18-2017 at 10:55 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Do as Dat Ei suggested and re-rip a CD with incorrect artwork to a different location. Make sure Groove and WMP do not have access to this new location and do not open the files in Groove and WMP.

Is the artwork as expected or is it changed as previously described?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yesterday, I got rid of all files from both WMP and Groove.

I then deleted and re-ripped a CD to the My Music folder. I checked an hour later, and the artwork (Folder.jpg) was still in view, and there was no white border on the front
    I will keep a check over the next day or so, but I think I may have found the problem.

That doesn't make those files that are hidden come back into view though, even though I have the box ticked to view hidden files.

It looks like I may have to re-rip loads of stuff and never put my collection into a player any more.

I can still play the mp3's through both players, I just won't add them to the player's Library itself.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yesterday, I got rid of all files from both WMP and Groove.

I then deleted and re-ripped a CD to the My Music folder. I checked an hour later, and the artwork (Folder.jpg) was still in view, and there was no white border on the front
    This is what I'd expect.

I will keep a check over the next day or so, but I think I may have found the problem.

That doesn't make those files that are hidden come back into view though, even though I have the box ticked to view hidden files.

It looks like I may have to re-rip loads of stuff and never put my collection into a player any more.

I can still play the mp3's through both players, I just won't add them to the player's Library itself.
    Well, at least not the built-in Microsoft libraries, as used in Groove and/or WMP. There are players out there that build libraries fine, like foobar2000.

The problem with modern computing is that Microsoft, Google, Apple et al are trying to track and control everything we do. I find it bewildering that often, without the users' knowledge, they edit data on a PC that does not belong to them. What also drives me mad here is they make assumptions about what is best for the user, when they have absolutely no idea, harumph .

BTW, why not rip to flac instead of mp3?
    Last edited by mville; 12-19-2017 at 07:31 AM. Reason: changed text