title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: comment tag overwritten

comment tag overwritten

- I rip a CD to FLAC
    - I convert said FLAC to whatever
    - the new file(s) have "dBpoweramp" in the comment tag
    - if I have made a comment in the original FLAC, it is also overwritten with "dBpoweramp"

obviously this is coming from the original rip...

1. is there a setting in dBpoweramp to prevent the comment tag from being overwritten when converting FLAC files later?
    2. is there an edit I can make to the FLAC files I have already ripped to prevent the comment tag from being overwritten when converting them?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: comment tag overwritten

Which platform/OS, which software versions and are you using any DSPs when converting?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by crucifyd View Post
    - I rip a CD to FLAC
    - I convert said FLAC to whatever
    - the new file(s) have "dBpoweramp" in the comment tag
    - if I have made a comment in the original FLAC, it is also overwritten with "dBpoweramp"

obviously this is coming from the original rip...

1. is there a setting in dBpoweramp to prevent the comment tag from being overwritten when converting FLAC files later?
    2. is there an edit I can make to the FLAC files I have already ripped to prevent the comment tag from being overwritten when converting them?
    Odd, I've never seen this with my 1000s of CD rips with dbpa and I often use comment tags. In my rips, the tag field "encoded by" shows dbpoweramp and version, but that is NOT the comment tag. As mville hints, it is probably something in a DSP you have inadvertently set. What music database or player are you using where you see the "dbpoweramp" in the comment tag? Maybe your database/player is reading the wrong tag?

RIPPING: latest version of dBpoweramp
    TAGGING: Tagscanner
    PLAYER: latest version of Foobar

after ripping with dBpoweramp and looking at the FLAC in Tagscanner, the comment tag is blank. then, during the conversion (in Foobar) it overwrites the blank comment tag with "dBpoweramp". as far as I can recall, any program I have looked at the original rips in has shown a blank comment tag. the comment only shows up after a conversion. if I have put a comment in the original rip, it gets overwritten in the conversion.

I also have the "encoded by" tag and, as you stated, it shows dBpoweramp and the version, and this is not the comment tag. I made a copy of a FLAC rip to test on and deleted a couple tags, including the "encoded by" tag, that I thought might be the source of this issue, then did a conversion. the blank comment tag was still overwritten with "dBpoweramp" in the new mp3 files without these other tags...

it has been several years since I set it all up but I don't believe I am using any DSPs...I will have to check that when I am home in the next couple days...

dBpoweramp Guru

Do not use Tagscanner, but convert a flac to mp3 and use the Edit ID-Tag context menu to view the comment tags.

What do you see in the comment tag for both files, as displayed using the Edit ID-Tag context menu?

dBpoweramp Guru

It seems like something in your foobar2000 conversion program is adding/overwriting this comment tag. In foobar2000, right click, select conversion, then select the "..." from menu, click on the "processing" and "other" items to see if you have something odd set there that overwrites your comment tag.

p.s. You have dbpa. It does conversions very well. Why use foobar2000 for conversions?

the source of the comment tag is the first line in the CUE sheet which says:
    REM COMMENT "dBpoweramp"

when that line is removed from the CUE sheet the comment tag is not filled in upon conversion.

questions all this brings up:
    1. deleting that first line in the CUE sheet will have no other affect, correct?
    2. is there a way to keep dBpoweramp from putting that line in the CUE sheet in the first place? or will I have to manually remove it after a rip?
    3. is it correct to say that you cannot rip from a CUE sheet in dBpoweramp?
    4. do you rip to single image FLAC or FLAC tracks? argument for / against?

I put the process I went through to find the answer to where the mystery comment was coming from below just because I had already written it out and maybe the process I went through would help somebody else. If you don't care about the process don't read below the asterisks.

OK, I do have one DSP in use..but all it does is "Capitalize First Letters" and "Remove Month & Day from year"...however, this is irrelevant as you will see.

as to why I use Foobar? I think it was because I decided to rip each entire album to a single FLAC and then convert from the CUE sheet...am I correct that you cannot convert from a CUE sheet with dBpoweramp?

since I cannot convert from a CUE sheet with dBpoweramp I tried converting a single image FLAC and there is nothing in the comment tag. that makes me thing it is something in Foobar...so as I was writing this I kept trying things. I put a CUE sheet into foobar and right click > Properties and lo and behold in the comment tag it says "dBpoweramp" BEFORE I have done a conversion or anything...so it is obviously coming from Foobar. now it's just a matter of where it comes from. I put the CUE sheet in Foobar again > right click > Properties and delete the comment tag and save. Now when I put the CUE sheet in Foobar and convert, the comment tag is blank.

This makes me think the source is teh CUE sheet...open the CUE sheet up and I found the first line says "REM COMMENT "dBpoweramp"". I deleted said first line and save the CUE sheet. go through the conversion process and the comment tag is left blank.
    Last edited by crucifyd; 12-15-2017 at 01:01 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

It would have been helpful if you had stated you were ripping to flac with CUE Sheet earlier and I am still not entirely clear in which application you are ripping and converting and how.

Please can you describe exactly, your ripping and conversion workflow process?

sorry i'm not clear

workflow process:
    dBpoweramp: rip CD to FLAC image (single file) and CUE sheet with
    foobar2000: drop the CUE sheet into foobar2000, which automatically selects all tracks
    foobar2000: right click the selected tracks and convert, via lame encoder, to mp3 320
    tagscanner: edit/manipulate tags

dBpoweramp Guru

OK. The cue sheet info is all new and yes that seems to be your problem. But seems solved now (correct??). I can't imagine any reason why you need the CUE sheet step, but you must have them. The only need I ever saw for CUE sheets was in the old days they were needed by some applications to get gapless. That hasn't been true for years. But again, I assume you have your reason.