title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Need help with FLAC to MP3 conversion for iPod

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metalhead64
    • Jun 2015

Need help with FLAC to MP3 conversion for iPod

Hi,
    I need advice for converting my FLAC files to MP3 for use with my iPod touch. I recently bought a new PC and have been setting everything back up.

After ripping to FLAC and then converting to MP3 for use with my iPod touch I don't get the track names to show up on the iPod. I've tried a few naming strings without luck. What confuses me is the track names show when I view the files on the hard drive I save to and stranger yet is the track names show up on my Android phone & in iTunes but not the iPod. In place of the track name is the genre. The music is there and plays, just no track name. What am I missing?

This last summer I upgraded to the latest version of dbpoweramp and had been successfully converting to MP3 until now. Dbpoweramp settings look a bit different between the 2 computers which is strange because the dbpoweramp version is the same.

I figure it's a simple solution but I've been unable to figure it out.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by metalhead64; 12-11-2017, 03:03 AM.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Need help with FLAC to MP3 conversion for iPod

Originally posted by metalhead64
    After ripping to FLAC and then converting to MP3 for use with my iPod touch I don't get the track names to show up on the iPod. I've tried a few naming strings without luck. What confuses me is the track names show when I view the files on the hard drive I save to and stranger yet is the track names show up on my Android phone & in iTunes but not the iPod. In place of the track name is the genre. The music is there and plays, just no track name. What am I missing?
    Looks like an issue with the iPod Touch. I would try posting on the relevant apple forum.

Comment

• metalhead64
      • Jun 2015

I solved my problem.

The iPod was showing what appeared to be the genre in place of the track names. I noticed the genre listed in iTunes didn't match the iPod. I thought how can this be because the iPod is an extension of iTunes. I started looking at the properties of the tracks and found a tab labeled I.D. Properties. The very last line at the bottom said "style" and the entry matched what I was seeing on the iPod. I could edit the line so I deleted it. Deleted my converted MP3 file and converted again. Deleted the problem album from iTunes and loaded again and re-synced the iPod. Problem gone! Now the track names show like they should.

I still don't understand what happened but it must be something with my new HP computer compared to my old Toshiba. Matter of fact I looked at a file ripped and converted from my Toshiba and the tab for ID Properties wasn't there.

Comment

• RecklessMission
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2018

I'm new to dBpoweramp and I'm having the same problem. As a test, I batch converted a few albums from AIFF to MP3 and dragged them to iTunes for use on my iPhone. After syncing, on my iPhone the album is listed as genre, and each track title is listed as genre too.

For example, I just converted the Mastodon album "Emperor of Sand" from AIFF to MP3 and on my iPhone the album is listed as "Progressive Metal/Sludge Metal" and every track is listed as "Progressive Metal/Sludge Metal" also. The artwork is fine, and the tracks play fine, though.

Oddly enough when viewing the album as a "Playlist" everything looks fine.

So, what is going on here and how do I prevent this from happening in the future when it's 1,000 albums I'm trying to convert and import to iTunes, instead of just a couple?

thanks!

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RecklessMission
          I'm new to dBpoweramp and I'm having the same problem. As a test, I batch converted a few albums from AIFF to MP3 and dragged them to iTunes for use on my iPhone. After syncing, on my iPhone the album is listed as genre, and each track title is listed as genre too...
          See post no. 2 in this thread: mp3 files - weird result in iTunes/iOS Music sync

specifically the link to Song name shows as Grouping name on iPhone.
          Last edited by mville; 01-17-2018, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• RecklessMission
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2018

Thanks, mville! Will read through those and troubleshoot.

Comment

• RecklessMission
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by mville
              See post no. 2 in this thread: mp3 files - weird result in iTunes/iOS Music sync

specifically the link to Song name shows as Grouping name on iPhone.
              That worked! Thanks, again. "Style" tag deleted from previous rips, and unchecked in settings for future rips.

I don't really anticipate ever requiring it, but I assume I can easily re-scan and add the "style" tag to my whole library again in the future (with PerfectTUNES?), in case Apple fixes that bug?

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

That worked! Thanks, again. "Style" tag deleted from previous rips, and unchecked in settings for future rips.

I don't really anticipate ever requiring it, but I assume I can easily re-scan and add the "style" tag to my whole library again in the future (with PerfectTUNES?), in case Apple fixes that bug?
                I don't think so.

If you want to keep the Style tag data, you can either:
                01. Export the Style tag, using the Audio Info utility codec or other software e.g. MP3Tag
                02. Copy the Style tag to a custom tag e.g. StyleNotInUse, using the ID Tag Update utility codec
                before you totally delete the tag.

Comment

• RecklessMission
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Jan 2018

I don't think so.

If you want to keep the Style tag data, you can either:
                  01. Export the Style tag, using the Audio Info utility codec or other software e.g. MP3Tag
                  02. Copy the Style tag to a custom tag e.g. StyleNotInUse, using the ID Tag Update utility codec
                  before you totally delete the tag.
                  Hmm. Is there a way to batch-edit tags? For example, if I rip and keep all tags (including "style") for my AIFF files can I batch-edit and delete the "style" tag from the MP3 conversions alone afterward (instead of one album at a time)? Alternatively, how about unchecking "style" (somewhere) during the actual conversion process (in other words, keeping the "style" tag in the source files but blocking them from carrying over during the MP3 conversion)?

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

Hmm. Is there a way to batch-edit tags? For example, if I rip and keep all tags (including "style") for my AIFF files can I batch-edit and delete the "style" tag from the MP3 conversions alone afterward (instead of one album at a time)?
                    Yes, it is simple. Use Batch Converter with the ID Tag Update utility codec.

Alternatively, how about unchecking "style" (somewhere) during the actual conversion process (in other words, keeping the "style" tag in the source files but blocking them from carrying over during the MP3 conversion)?
                    Yes, also simple. Use the ID Tag Processing DSP.

Comment

• mville
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2008

Hmm. Is there a way to batch-edit tags? For example, if I rip and keep all tags (including "style") for my AIFF files can I batch-edit and delete the "style" tag from the MP3 conversions alone afterward (instead of one album at a time)? Alternatively, how about unchecking "style" (somewhere) during the actual conversion process (in other words, keeping the "style" tag in the source files but blocking them from carrying over during the MP3 conversion)?
                      Please post which platform/OS and version of dBpoweramp you are using, as certain features exist in one version and not another.

Comment

• RecklessMission
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Jan 2018

Excellent! Thanks, mville. My OCD/completist brain is having trouble getting comfortable with the prospect of not acquiring and keeping all possible tags in my "master/source/archival" AIFF files before converting to MP3 for use on my iOS devices.

Comment

• RecklessMission
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Jan 2018

Please post which platform/OS and version of dBpoweramp you are using, as certain features exist in one version and not another.
                          Platform = Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2
                          dBpoweramp version = 16.2, Registered Reference

Comment

Working...

]]>