title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Converting CD that has individual wav or other file types

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Converting CD that has individual wav or other file types

Recently I have come across some CD that have individual audio files named “track 1”, “track 2” etc. I would like to rip them to the hard drive with the file names like acquires from meta data bases. How can I do that?

Administrator

Re: Converting CD that has individual wav or other file types

You would have to manually type the names if the databases do not provide the metadata, select track 1 and press F2 to begin editing.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by soongsc View Post
    Recently I have come across some CD that have individual audio files named &*8220;track 1&*8221;, &*8220;track 2&*8221; etc. I would like to rip them to the hard drive with the file names like acquires from meta data bases. How can I do that?
    If this CD is actually a data cd that contains WAV files, then you wouldn't rip the CD (as it is not a redbook CD). Instead you'd just copy the files from this data disc to your harddrive and then use dbpa to edit the metadata and/or convert to another type of file (e.g., FLAC or mp3).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses. The detail situation is that when I plug the CD in, I see all the meta data like this:
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 11.22.30.jpg
    But I cannot rip.
    Then I looked at the contents of the CD, it has these:
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 11.24.57.png
    Normally when I rip a CD the file names will be the track names indicated in the first pic.

Is there a way to convert the file names and meta data into the format that is like being ripped from a normal redbook CD?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses. The detail situation is that when I plug the CD in, I see all the meta data like this:
    But I cannot rip.
    Normally when I rip a CD the file names will be the track names indicated in the first pic.

Is there a way to convert the file names and meta data into the format that is like being ripped from a normal redbook CD?
    This is weird, if I look at CD contents under Windows it becomes like this:
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 12.51.32.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

dBpoweramp Guru

This is weird, if I look at CD contents under Windows it becomes like this:
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 12.51.32.png
    This looks like the content of an usual Audio CD (red book standard). You just see cda files generated by the Windows Explorer to represent the content of an Audio CD. You can replay such a CD on every ordinary stand alone CD player / audio system or on computers.

You need to rip the Audio CD to generate audio files which you can copy, backup, tag, convert or rename. dBpa is able to rip such Audio CDs and to retr But ieve metadata for most of the CDs from different databases over the internet. If there are no metadata for your CD in those databases, you can type them in manually. If you rip your CDs to audio files you can use those metadata to tag and name your extracted audio files. That is a question of your personal setup of dBpa.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

But I cannot rip.
    This is getting a little confused. Can we assume you have fixed the original issue, described in your post no. 1?

If you cannot rip CDs, please describe what happens when click the rip button or post any error message(s)?

In what software are you viewing the files in this screenshot?

If a CD is an audio CD (that is, it conforms to the red book standard), you can rip it in CD Ripper. If the CD is a data CD (CD-R/CD-RW etc.) containing audio files, you can simply copy the files to your hard disk and edit the metadata using the Edit ID-Tag context menu option.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I am confused because with the same CD, on the Mac using "Finder" I see the audio aiff files. On Windows 7 file manager, I see the contents that show only 1KB size files. On either machine under dbpoweramp, I see the meta data. But the CD just won't rip. There are actually a few CDs like this.

So I am thinking, if I can see the audio files on the Mac, maybe there is a way to use the meta data to change the file names after I copy them from the CD.
    Last edited by soongsc; 12-07-2017 at 10:38 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I am confused because with the same CD, on the Mac using "Finder" I see the audio aiff files. On Windows 7 file manager, I see the contents that show only 1KB size files. On either machine under dbpoweramp, I see the meta data. But the CD just won't rip. There are actually a few CDs like this.

So I am thinking, if I can see the audio files on the Mac, maybe there is a way to use the meta data to change the file names after I copy them from the CD.
    Is this a mixed mode CD? What CD is it i.e. Album Artist - Title, label, catalog no.?

Have you copied the files to your hard disk?

dBpoweramp Guru

On either machine under dbpoweramp, I see the meta data. But the CD just won't rip. There are actually a few CDs like this.
    Please describe in more detail what happens when you click the rip button or post any error message(s)?