title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting CD that has individual wav or other file types

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soongsc
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2011

Converting CD that has individual wav or other file types

Recently I have come across some CD that have individual audio files named “track 1”, “track 2” etc. I would like to rip them to the hard drive with the file names like acquires from meta data bases. How can I do that?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Converting CD that has individual wav or other file types

You would have to manually type the names if the databases do not provide the metadata, select track 1 and press F2 to begin editing.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by soongsc
      Recently I have come across some CD that have individual audio files named &*8220;track 1&*8221;, &*8220;track 2&*8221; etc. I would like to rip them to the hard drive with the file names like acquires from meta data bases. How can I do that?
      If this CD is actually a data cd that contains WAV files, then you wouldn't rip the CD (as it is not a redbook CD). Instead you'd just copy the files from this data disc to your harddrive and then use dbpa to edit the metadata and/or convert to another type of file (e.g., FLAC or mp3).

Comment

• soongsc
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2011

Thanks for the responses. The detail situation is that when I plug the CD in, I see all the meta data like this:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 11.22.30.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	293766
        But I cannot rip.
        Then I looked at the contents of the CD, it has these:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 11.24.57.png
Views:	1
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	293767
        Normally when I rip a CD the file names will be the track names indicated in the first pic.

Is there a way to convert the file names and meta data into the format that is like being ripped from a normal redbook CD?

Comment

• soongsc
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jan 2011

Thanks for the responses. The detail situation is that when I plug the CD in, I see all the meta data like this:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]1892[/ATTACH]
          But I cannot rip.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]1893[/ATTACH]
          Normally when I rip a CD the file names will be the track names indicated in the first pic.

Is there a way to convert the file names and meta data into the format that is like being ripped from a normal redbook CD?
          This is weird, if I look at CD contents under Windows it becomes like this:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 12.51.32.png
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	293769
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dat Ei
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2014

This is weird, if I look at CD contents under Windows it becomes like this:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]1895[/ATTACH]
            This looks like the content of an usual Audio CD (red book standard). You just see cda files generated by the Windows Explorer to represent the content of an Audio CD. You can replay such a CD on every ordinary stand alone CD player / audio system or on computers.

You need to rip the Audio CD to generate audio files which you can copy, backup, tag, convert or rename. dBpa is able to rip such Audio CDs and to retr But ieve metadata for most of the CDs from different databases over the internet. If there are no metadata for your CD in those databases, you can type them in manually. If you rip your CDs to audio files you can use those metadata to tag and name your extracted audio files. That is a question of your personal setup of dBpa.

Dat Ei

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1892[/ATTACH]
              But I cannot rip.
              This is getting a little confused. Can we assume you have fixed the original issue, described in your post no. 1?

If you cannot rip CDs, please describe what happens when click the rip button or post any error message(s)?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1893[/ATTACH]
              In what software are you viewing the files in this screenshot?

If a CD is an audio CD (that is, it conforms to the red book standard), you can rip it in CD Ripper. If the CD is a data CD (CD-R/CD-RW etc.) containing audio files, you can simply copy the files to your hard disk and edit the metadata using the Edit ID-Tag context menu option.

Comment

• soongsc
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jan 2011

I am confused because with the same CD, on the Mac using "Finder" I see the audio aiff files. On Windows 7 file manager, I see the contents that show only 1KB size files. On either machine under dbpoweramp, I see the meta data. But the CD just won't rip. There are actually a few CDs like this.

So I am thinking, if I can see the audio files on the Mac, maybe there is a way to use the meta data to change the file names after I copy them from the CD.
                Last edited by soongsc; 12-07-2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• mville
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2008

I am confused because with the same CD, on the Mac using "Finder" I see the audio aiff files. On Windows 7 file manager, I see the contents that show only 1KB size files. On either machine under dbpoweramp, I see the meta data. But the CD just won't rip. There are actually a few CDs like this.

So I am thinking, if I can see the audio files on the Mac, maybe there is a way to use the meta data to change the file names after I copy them from the CD.
                  Is this a mixed mode CD? What CD is it i.e. Album Artist - Title, label, catalog no.?

Have you copied the files to your hard disk?

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

On either machine under dbpoweramp, I see the meta data. But the CD just won't rip. There are actually a few CDs like this.
                    Please describe in more detail what happens when you click the rip button or post any error message(s)?

Comment

• soongsc
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by mville
                      Is this a mixed mode CD? What CD is it i.e. Album Artist - Title, label, catalog no.?

Have you copied the files to your hard disk?
                      This CD. Seems it could be a mixed mode CD. I have copied the files to disk on a MacBook , and it plays. Now I need to figure out out to convert the file names.

Name:	AC5ED21E-432A-4DF9-8563-9E86941A25B5.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	293770

Comment

• Dat Ei
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Feb 2014

Looks like a hybrid SACD (SACD / CD).

Dat Ei

Comment

• soongsc
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Jan 2011

Another interesting thing. I just looked at another CD that could not be ripped. On the MacBook, with iTunes running in the background, all file names show up like this:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 23.33.09.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	293771
                          All files can be copied as well.

Comment

• mville
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2008

This CD. Seems it could be a mixed mode CD. I have copied the files to disk on a MacBook , and it plays. Now I need to figure out out to convert the file names.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]1896[/ATTACH]
                            As far as I can tell, this seems to be a feature of OS X, i.e. ripping CDs to AIFF from the Finder. Can other apple users confirm this?

The problem here is compounded by the fact that this disc is an SACD. Please can you confirm whether this is a hybrid SACD or a single layer SACD?

Also, ripping CDs using the Finder probably won't report errors so your rips may not be AccurateRip/Secure.

Comment

• soongsc
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Jan 2011

Yes, it seems like iTunes is ripping them because the names did not change before iTunes was open. It seemed to have changed while I first tried to copy. In the middle of the first attempt to copy. Finder reported the files were not available, then I discovered the changes file names. Second attempt to copy was successful.
                              This may not be perfect rip, but seems to be a good option when CDs cannot be ripped by dbpa. Other CDs work the same as well. Jriver seems to rip by normal playing since it is very slow. On the Mac, it seems the fastest.
                              However, I like the way dbpa organizes the files after the rip. Much less work to get them organized on a NAS drive.

Comment

Working...

]]>