title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: External drives

External drives

Am wanting to rip CD collection but dont have a desktop. I figure that there way be an external USB drive that will rip accurately ... at least will give me accurate rips most of the time, whereas I'm assuming my Lenovo laptop CD drive is unlikely to. Would appreciate feedback from those who have knowledge about this.
    Mark

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: External drives

Quote Originally Posted by MarkHS View Post
    Am wanting to rip CD collection but dont have a desktop. I figure that there way be an external USB drive that will rip accurately ... at least will give me accurate rips most of the time, whereas I'm assuming my Lenovo laptop CD drive is unlikely to. Would appreciate feedback from those who have knowledge about this.
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

Your laptop drive will give you an AccurateRip for the vast majority of your CDs. Depending on the number of CDs you've got to rip, any Copy Protected CDs, a second drive may be a good idea, and a full size drive, may well rip quicker.

The Lite-On (Atapi) from the list below, operating via USB adaptor, is a good solution:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...racy-List-2016
    Last edited by Oggy; 12-05-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Hi Mark,

Your laptop drive will give you an AccurateRip for the vast majority of your CDs. Depending on the number of CDs you've got to rip, any Copy Protected CDs, a second drive may be a good idea, and a full size drive, may well rip quicker.

The Lite-On (Atapi) from the list below, operating via USB adaptor, is a good solution:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...racy-List-2016
    Thanks for the advice. Can you please be more specific as to which lite-on you mean?
    Cheers
    Mark

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for the advice. Can you please be more specific as to which lite-on you mean?
    Cheers
    Mark
    iHAS 124-14, still available, cheap and working well for a couple of friends.

That looks like an internal drive and I dont have a desktop. Any external drive suggestions?
    Cheers
    Mark

dBpoweramp Guru

That looks like an internal drive and I dont have a desktop. Any external drive suggestions?
    Cheers
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

Yes, it is an internal drive; a number of people use these on laptops, via USB adaptors, either with, or without enclosures.

If you go that route, especially an adaptor that has both ide and SATA, you can then use any internal drive, you may have lying around. I use a laptop with internal drives, via an USB adaptor, and these are far quicker and more robust than my laptop's internal drive, and a slimline external Samsung USB drive, I occasionally use. The other advantage, is that you can pick them up, very cheaply, or even free, and unlike my Samsung slimline drive, two or three that I have, cope with Copy Controlled discs.

If you don't like the idea of implementing an internal full-sized drive, Lite-On also manufacture a slimline external drive, and a number of larger external drives are available; someone may be able to advise on specific models.
    Last edited by Oggy; 12-08-2017 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks for the advice - I'm good with that. I'm guessing the drive might have fewer errors if it is secured to something ... or am I getting carried away?
    Mark

dBpoweramp Guru

I have three loose drives here at home connected via USB-SATA adapters to my desktop to run multiple instances to speed up ripping. (Many of my Caribbean CDs aren't in Accurate Rip and take about 15 minutes each for 3 pass secure rips). I also have a loose drive that I use with my laptop at the radio station I'm working for. The only time they have errors is when they fall on the floor... Particularly if the cheap SATA connectors come unplugged or worse still break.