title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Gary,

If I purchased a d/l copy - whether it be mp3 or otherwise - I would leave it as it is. As you say, it's a waste of space.

I have emailed qobuz to see what they say about the file format ...

Paul
    You misunderstand me. an mp3 is a LOSSY file. So converting it to LOSSLESS (like FLAC) is a waste of space. The Quobuz files are LOSSLESS files (either FLAC, or ALAC, or WAV). There is nothing wrong with converting from one LOSSLESS format to another LOSSLESS format.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You misunderstand me. an mp3 is a LOSSY file. So converting it to LOSSLESS (like FLAC) is a waste of space. The Quobuz files are LOSSLESS files (either FLAC, or ALAC, or WAV). There is nothing wrong with converting from one LOSSLESS format to another LOSSLESS format.
    Gary,

Do you not think that 'qobuz' site should state which file types the d/ls are?; whether they be: FLAC, ALAC, or WAV.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Do you not think that 'qobuz' site should state which file types the d/ls are?; whether they be: FLAC, ALAC, or WAV.
    They do!

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Per the Quboz site, you can get pretty much any lossless format you desire. Click here.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

True. In this case if there's only one lossless option, should it be ALAC or WAV it's perfectly ok to convert it to FLAC.

But given a choice, FLAC is a better download option because you can verify the checksums. Which of course, when it comes to downloads, only tells you that the FLAC file itself is ok - potential errors before the compression are likely unknown.

This leads me to a related topic - how can you verify the source and integrity of downloaded lossless files? Are they usually, or not, accompanied by some sort of documentation? The few I have purchased didn't include anything of the sort, except some vague info in the tags.

Are lossless 16/44 downloads actually ripped from CD's or do they come straight from the masters? In the case of ripping, who does that - the vendors themselves?

Can 16/44 downloads be identified and thus verified by the accurate rip database?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    This leads me to a related topic - how can you verify the source and integrity of downloaded lossless files? Are they usually, or not, accompanied by some sort of documentation? The few I have purchased didn't include anything of the sort, except some vague info in the tags.

Are lossless 16/44 downloads actually ripped from CD's or do they come straight from the masters? In the case of ripping, who does that - the vendors themselves?

Can 16/44 downloads be identified and thus verified by the accurate rip database?
    I just want to add that it was not my intention to dismiss lossless downloads - if it so appeared. I'm just interested in the topics of their sources and their verification, if anyone knows anything about it.

dBpoweramp Guru

usually no in my experience

probably some of both.

On some (most) of mine, they can't be verified by AR database. I suspect these are ones that were not ripped, but created from some other direct source. I suspect this has something to do with CD offsets, etc.

dBpoweramp Guru

Here is an example of the download options for a buy in CD quality.

qobuz.png

And here an example for a hires download.

qobuz-hires.png

Dat Ei
    Last edited by Dat Ei; 12-19-2017 at 02:57 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks garym. I haven't downloaded much lossless, but my impression so far is similar to what you say, that often you can't verify the downloads. So we just have to trust the vendors with integrity and also the little info they give about sources.

This may force us to actually start using our ears to determine sound quality...

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks garym. I haven't downloaded much lossless, but my impression so far is similar to what you say, that often you can't verify the downloads. So we just have to trust the vendors with integrity and also the little info they give about sources.

This may force us to actually start using our ears to determine sound quality...
    I don't download much, but I haven't had any problems. I recall reading about some Quoboz flac downloads that had playing problems, but they were solved by simply converting from FLAC to FLAC. Was something related to an odd header in the file.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Per the Quboz site, you can get pretty much any lossless format you desire. Click here.
    JH,

Thanks for that.

For some weird reason I keep getting the whole website in French, and then having to use Google-Translate (which may not always be accurate). But your link (thanks) showed all of the text perfectly fine.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-19-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I just want to add that it was not my intention to dismiss lossless downloads - if it so appeared. I'm just interested in the topics of their sources and their verification, if anyone knows anything about it.
    evasv,

I would much prefer the hard-copy-boxset any day; but I am not paying circa 150GBP for a s/h copy on eBay!

There is the option (mentioned much earlier) of the mp3 d/l format from Amazon (@ 20GBP). Otherwise, it's this FLAC version (@ 45GBP) on qobuz.

This malarkey of online d/l purchasing is actually a last-resort/one-off for me. But I dare say that the majority of millenniums would never consider physically walking into a high street retail store!

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-19-2017 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Here is an example of the download options for a buy in CD quality.

qobuz.png

And here an example for a hires download.

qobuz-hires.png
    Hi Dat Ei,

Images are still pending, but thanks.

I have notified the moderator.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't download much, but I haven't had any problems. I recall reading about some Quoboz flac downloads that had playing problems, but they were solved by simply converting from FLAC to FLAC. Was something related to an odd header in the file.
    Cheers Gary,

That may be handy to know.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

btw: A very kind member (from another forum) Dropboxed me the entire "Miles On The Corner" liner-notes which he had scanned. This will make my tagging a zillion times easier (regarding the session data).
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-19-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling