title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

The 49 Year Old Virgin!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    Gary,

If I purchased a d/l copy - whether it be mp3 or otherwise - I would leave it as it is. As you say, it's a waste of space.

I have emailed qobuz to see what they say about the file format ...

Paul
    You misunderstand me. an mp3 is a LOSSY file. So converting it to LOSSLESS (like FLAC) is a waste of space. The Quobuz files are LOSSLESS files (either FLAC, or ALAC, or WAV). There is nothing wrong with converting from one LOSSLESS format to another LOSSLESS format.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
      You misunderstand me. an mp3 is a LOSSY file. So converting it to LOSSLESS (like FLAC) is a waste of space. The Quobuz files are LOSSLESS files (either FLAC, or ALAC, or WAV). There is nothing wrong with converting from one LOSSLESS format to another LOSSLESS format.
      Gary,

Do you not think that 'qobuz' site should state which file types the d/ls are?; whether they be: FLAC, ALAC, or WAV.

Paul

Comment

• Dat Ei
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
        Do you not think that 'qobuz' site should state which file types the d/ls are?; whether they be: FLAC, ALAC, or WAV.
        They do!

Dat Ei

Comment

• Jailhouse
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2016

Per the Quboz site, you can get pretty much any lossless format you desire. Click here.

Comment

• evasv
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2016

True. In this case if there's only one lossless option, should it be ALAC or WAV it's perfectly ok to convert it to FLAC.

But given a choice, FLAC is a better download option because you can verify the checksums. Which of course, when it comes to downloads, only tells you that the FLAC file itself is ok - potential errors before the compression are likely unknown.

This leads me to a related topic - how can you verify the source and integrity of downloaded lossless files? Are they usually, or not, accompanied by some sort of documentation? The few I have purchased didn't include anything of the sort, except some vague info in the tags.

Are lossless 16/44 downloads actually ripped from CD's or do they come straight from the masters? In the case of ripping, who does that - the vendors themselves?

Can 16/44 downloads be identified and thus verified by the accurate rip database?

Comment

• evasv
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by evasv
              This leads me to a related topic - how can you verify the source and integrity of downloaded lossless files? Are they usually, or not, accompanied by some sort of documentation? The few I have purchased didn't include anything of the sort, except some vague info in the tags.

Are lossless 16/44 downloads actually ripped from CD's or do they come straight from the masters? In the case of ripping, who does that - the vendors themselves?

Can 16/44 downloads be identified and thus verified by the accurate rip database?
              I just want to add that it was not my intention to dismiss lossless downloads - if it so appeared. I'm just interested in the topics of their sources and their verification, if anyone knows anything about it.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

usually no in my experience

probably some of both.

On some (most) of mine, they can't be verified by AR database. I suspect these are ones that were not ripped, but created from some other direct source. I suspect this has something to do with CD offsets, etc.

Comment

• Dat Ei
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Feb 2014

Here is an example of the download options for a buy in CD quality.

Click image for larger version

Name:	qobuz.png
Views:	1
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	293781

And here an example for a hires download.

Click image for larger version

Name:	qobuz-hires.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	293782

Dat Ei
                  Last edited by Dat Ei; 12-19-2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• evasv
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jan 2016

Thanks garym. I haven't downloaded much lossless, but my impression so far is similar to what you say, that often you can't verify the downloads. So we just have to trust the vendors with integrity and also the little info they give about sources.

This may force us to actually start using our ears to determine sound quality...

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Thanks garym. I haven't downloaded much lossless, but my impression so far is similar to what you say, that often you can't verify the downloads. So we just have to trust the vendors with integrity and also the little info they give about sources.

This may force us to actually start using our ears to determine sound quality...
                      I don't download much, but I haven't had any problems. I recall reading about some Quoboz flac downloads that had playing problems, but they were solved by simply converting from FLAC to FLAC. Was something related to an odd header in the file.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                        Per the Quboz site, you can get pretty much any lossless format you desire. Click here.
                        JH,

Thanks for that.

For some weird reason I keep getting the whole website in French, and then having to use Google-Translate (which may not always be accurate). But your link (thanks) showed all of the text perfectly fine.

Paul
                        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-19-2017, 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

I just want to add that it was not my intention to dismiss lossless downloads - if it so appeared. I'm just interested in the topics of their sources and their verification, if anyone knows anything about it.
                          evasv,

I would much prefer the hard-copy-boxset any day; but I am not paying circa 150GBP for a s/h copy on eBay!

There is the option (mentioned much earlier) of the mp3 d/l format from Amazon (@ 20GBP). Otherwise, it's this FLAC version (@ 45GBP) on qobuz.

This malarkey of online d/l purchasing is actually a last-resort/one-off for me. But I dare say that the majority of millenniums would never consider physically walking into a high street retail store!

Cheers,

Paul
                          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-19-2017, 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Dat Ei
                            Here is an example of the download options for a buy in CD quality.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1911[/ATTACH]

And here an example for a hires download.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1912[/ATTACH]
                            Hi Dat Ei,

Images are still pending, but thanks.

I have notified the moderator.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

I don't download much, but I haven't had any problems. I recall reading about some Quoboz flac downloads that had playing problems, but they were solved by simply converting from FLAC to FLAC. Was something related to an odd header in the file.
                              Cheers Gary,

That may be handy to know.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

btw: A very kind member (from another forum) Dropboxed me the entire "Miles On The Corner" liner-notes which he had scanned. This will make my tagging a zillion times easier (regarding the session data).
                                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-19-2017, 11:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...

]]>