title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 85

Thread: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

  1. #31
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    114

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I'm not entirely sure why evasv states:
    Gapless playing of live albums can be more problematic with mp3 than with flac though.
    I once had an mp3 encoder which had an option specially for "gapless encoding". Not sure what it did, but even using this option it didn't work out on the player I used at the time. FLAC went without problems on the same player. This was at least 5 years ago though.

    Since then I use FLAC on portables when I need gapless, just to avoid problems, but maybe this is unnecessary with new encoders and players?

  2. #32
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,659

    Question Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    Since then I use FLAC on portables when I need gapless, just to avoid problems, but maybe this is unnecessary with new encoders and players?
    Hi evasv,

    Does your music collection comprise of a mixture of MP3s and FLACs? Or, are you now trying (like myself) to convert/move over to a single format (that being the latter)?

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-27-2017 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling

  3. #33
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,274

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    but maybe this is unnecessary with new encoders and players?
    I have gapless mp3 files in addition to my FLAC files. Most of these were encoded with the mp3 LAME encoder going back over 10 years. They all play gapless on my ipods, iphone, ipad, foobar2000, logitech media player (feeding my squeezeboxes), and Roon.

  4. #34
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    114

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi evasv,

    Does your music collection comprise of a mixture of MP3s and FLACs? Or, are you now trying (like myself) to convert/move over to a single format (that being the latter)?

    Paul
    I have two different libraries. My main library is 95% flac. From that I encode to mp3 for my portable library, because of space limitations. I have also some flac on my portable for gapless playback, but this may not be necessary after all.
    Last edited by evasv; 11-27-2017 at 05:35 PM.

  5. #35
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    114

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I have gapless mp3 files in addition to my FLAC files. Most of these were encoded with the mp3 LAME encoder going back over 10 years. They all play gapless on my ipods, iphone, ipad, foobar2000, logitech media player (feeding my squeezeboxes), and Roon.
    Then it was probably lack of gapless support in the player, since I use LAME too. I think it was a Sansa Clip, but I'm not sure. Since there also was a "gapless encoding" option in the GUI, I thought this was a fairly common problem, but obviously not.

  6. #36
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,274

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    Then it was probably lack of gapless support in the player, since I use LAME too. I think it was a Sansa Clip, but I'm not sure. Since there also was a "gapless encoding" option in the GUI, I thought this was a fairly common problem, but obviously not.
    If one goes back far enough, gapless was definitely a problem with mp3 files. My original ipods couldn't handle gapless until firmware updates pretty far down the road fixed that.

  7. #37
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    627

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    If one goes back far enough, gapless was definitely a problem with mp3 files. My original ipods couldn't handle gapless until firmware updates pretty far down the road fixed that.
    Think my first iPod was a fourth generation, and that still put the dreaded glitches on all of my favourite albums! A major design flaw.

  8. #38
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,584

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    So sometimes when one track fades into another, you may get a couple of seconds break (silence) - which disrupts the flow.
    A gapless player will play the tracks as per the CD. If the CD has a 2 second gap you will still hear a 2 second gap.

  9. #39
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,584

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    no. Your rips to FLAC are automatically gapless.
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Gary,

    Oh great, that's ingenious!

    Paul

    Not really. CD Ripper is just ripping the digital audio as is.

  10. #40
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,584

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I have gapless mp3 files in addition to my FLAC files. Most of these were encoded with the mp3 LAME encoder going back over 10 years. They all play gapless on my ipods, iphone, ipad, foobar2000, logitech media player (feeding my squeezeboxes), and Roon.
    Me too. flac and mp3 playing back fine. I guess any issues are with non-gapless players.

    ... or, as in the case of early generation iPods, poorly implemented software/firmware.
    Last edited by mville; 11-28-2017 at 05:21 AM.

  11. #41
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,659

    Question Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Hi,

    Is this a FLAC format d/l? - would anyone know for sure - please:


    It says it is: "16 bit CD Quality", but that is all I can see?

    Thanks,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-19-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: LINK

  12. #42
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,274

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

    Is this a FLAC format d/l? - would anyone know for sure - please:

    It says it is: "16 bit CD Quality", but that is all I can see?

    Thanks,

    Paul
    says it is lossless. I think I've read that Quobuz does FLAC downloads. But even if not FLAC, because it is lossless, it is trivial to convert the downloaded files to FLAC with dbpa converter.

  13. #43
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,659

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    says it is lossless. I think I've read that Quobuz does FLAC downloads. But even if not FLAC, because it is lossless, it is trivial to convert the downloaded files to FLAC with dbpa converter.
    Gary,

    If I purchased a d/l copy - whether it be mp3 or otherwise - I would leave it as it is. As you say, it's a waste of space.

    I have emailed qobuz to see what they say about the file format ...

    Paul

  14. #44
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,140

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    I'm a qobuz customer for more than 2 years now. Yes, qobuz does stream and offer downloads in CD and even hi-res quality. Especially if you are interested in jazz (like I'm), qobuz is a good address.


    Dat Ei

  15. #45
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,659

    Re: The 49 Year Old Virgin!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    I'm a qobuz customer for more than 2 years now. Yes, qobuz does stream and offer downloads in CD and even hi-res quality. Especially if you are interested in jazz (like I'm), qobuz is a good address.
    Hi Dat Ei,

    It was the only reputable site I could find "Miles On The Corner" COMPLETE on, at a sensible price.

    I would not be 'streaming' though, only purchasing a d/l.

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-19-2017 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •