title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Normalize vs ReplayGain when converting to MP3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luc
    • Nov 2017

Normalize vs ReplayGain when converting to MP3

Greetings,

I'm new to both dbPoweramp as well as to audio editing (or even something as "simple" as converting) and have been trying to find an answer in other posts. But still confused...

Basically, I'm in the process of ripping my CD collection to .flac files, to be kept as best possible copies on my PC (using dbPoweramp recommended settings). Sound levels of .flac files on both PC and smarthphone are ok, but when I convert them to mp3 files to be played on my car's audio system (which doesn't read .flac files), the sound level is far too low. It doesn't look like the level is being reduced during the conversion (going by a visual comparison of wave levels in WaveLab Elements) but, as said, in order to be played audibly in my car the level needs to be cranked up considerably.

There seem to be several options and, when ripping, I have marked ReplayGain but the car's audio system doesn't seem to read this. Would "Volume Normalize" be a better option when converting to MP3 (leaving the .flac files intact) and, if so, what specific setting would be the better option? Using ReplayGain or EBU R128 (leaving Desired Volume at Max (but at 0 dB), and Maximum Amplification at x8) doesn't seem to make any difference. Can I just change the "0 dB" into, for instance, "3 dB" or an even higher number? Or would it make more sense to use Fixed Amplification and indicate, again, "3 dB" or a higher number? Or am I missing something entirely in my layman's question?

Any piece of (even short) advice to put me on the right track would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Luc
Working...

]]>