title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Genre / Style

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Genre / Style

Me too!

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Genre / Style

Hi,

I was listening to my Eric Clapton 'Reptile' CD and it seems to be a cross-section of Rock/Blues/Country:

I am tagging the GENRE as: 'Popular', but I am not sure what to put for STYLE please? Blues Rock?; or that maybe that is a bit too heavy?

I dare say a lot of people own this CD.

Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-13-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

I was listening to my Eric Clapton 'Reptile' CD and it seems to be a cross-section of Rock/Blues/Country:

I am tagging the GENRE as: 'Popular', but I am not sure what to put for STYLE please? Blues Rock?; or that maybe that is a bit too heavy?

I dare say a lot of people own this CD.

Cheers.
    Genre- Blues
    style- Rock

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Genre- Blues
    style- Rock
    So you would not bother with the Country aspect?

dBpoweramp Guru

I have at least one thousand country, alternative country, bluegrass, folk. I own reptile and would never consider it country. But of course you can choose any labels that fit your own thoughts.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have at least one thousand country, alternative country, bluegrass, folk. I own reptile and would never consider it country. But of course you can choose any labels that fit your own thoughts.
    I would not say it was Country (if I did I would have GENRE = Country). But I find it to be rather Country influenced (which is why I was considering the latter as STYLE).

I can't imagine how you have so many CDs?! I have about 600 and have been ripping continuously since July last.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-13-2018 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Genre- Blues
    style- Rock
    I agree with garym.

On a track by track basis, you could have a myriad of styles and influences. A Clapton track like Tulsa Time, is country, or country rock. If this was on a Clapton compilation, I would personally, still tag the album as Rock; Blues, or some combination of Blues and Rock!

With using Style, you can add, whatever, or as many different styles, that make sense to you. As you have seen from the providers metadata, there is often not one obvious answer.

The choices with genre / style, are, is it how you view the artist, album, or even any given song?
    Last edited by Oggy; 01-14-2018 at 06:41 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I agree with garym.

On a track by track basis, you could have a myriad of styles and influences. A Clapton track like Tulsa Time, is country, or country rock. If this was on a Clapton compilation, I would personally, still tag the album as Rock; Blues, or some combination of Blues and Rock!

With using Style, you can add, whatever, or as many different styles, that make sense to you. As you have seen from the providers metadata, there is often not one obvious answer.

The choices with genre / style, are, is it how you view the artist, album, or even any given song?
    I only have a relatively small amount of non-Jazz and non-Classical music; hence my 'Popular' folder is probably more less-defined (mixed) than most users. I mean, I am trying to keep the GENREs to a minimum. To be honest, there are so many genres out there which I have never even heard of! And so STYLE is quite important to me (though I would say I use it a little wider than most).

I have just ripped an Elvis CD (early compilation from 'Sun Studio'). It is under: GENRE = 'Popular' (along with Clapton, Neil Diamond, Carol King). For STYLE I am using: Rock 'n' Roll. But how would one write this style, please:

Rock 'n' Roll, Rock And Roll, or Rock & Roll?
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-14-2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I have just ripped an Elvis CD (early compilation from 'Sun Studio'). It is under: GENRE = 'Popular' (along with Clapton, Neil Diamond, Carol King). For STYLE I am using: Rock 'n' Roll. But how would one write this style, please:

Rock 'n' Roll, Rock And Roll, or Rock & Roll?
    To my mind, they are all valid. Select the one you prefer.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    To my mind, they are all valid. Select the one you prefer.
    I was not sure if there were any illegal characters (ie. ampersand). Plus, some might say that the 'And' should be written in lower-case (ie. Rock and Roll).

dBpoweramp Guru

I was not sure if there were any illegal characters (ie. ampersand). Plus, some might say that the 'And' should be written in lower-case (ie. Rock and Roll).
    Paul,

The Genre pull down in CD Ripper has Rock & Roll, and the ampersand is not on the restricted list, but as mville said, select the one you prefer.

I don't know if you are still using the DSP which automatically capitalises first letters, if so Rock and Roll would end up Rock And Roll, anyway.

At some stage you will probably come across artist names and song titles, that could use any of the variations.

dBpoweramp Guru

Paul,

The Genre pull down in CD Ripper has Rock & Roll, and the ampersand is not on the restricted list, but as mville said, select the one you prefer.

I don't know if you are still using the DSP which automatically capitalises first letters, if so Rock and Roll would end up Rock And Roll, anyway.

At some stage you will probably come across artist names and song titles, that could use any of the variations.
    I have kept it all in words and gone with: Rock And Roll.

Yes, I use the DSP capitalisation.

I do like to check with the community first just to see what the general consensus is. Even if I do not go with the majority, I at least like to have considered it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

Yes, there are almost as many genres as you want them to be, and I'm sure many would struggle to differentiate a substantial number.

If this list is shows sub-genre of Progressive Rock, it has certainly been an education!!

Whether we use Genre, or Genre and Style, it certainly makes sense to use names that are logical in the context of our own libraries and experience.

dBpoweramp Guru

If this list is shows sub-genre of Progressive Rock, it has certainly been an education!!
    While I don't have an extensive knowledge of 'Prog. Rock', many bands listed in that ranker list did take me by surprise!

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

If you had the band Steely Dan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steely_Dan) under the GENRE of: 'Popular', then what would you put for STYLE, please?

Thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-15-2018 at 06:31 PM. Reason: LINK