title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Genre / Style

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Genre / Style

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Oggy,

I am not quite sure what you mean?

You mean have one Genre POP, and another Genre as POPULAR?

Paul
    Yes, keep Pop for your Madonna etc. and Popular for the more "easy listening" and "middle of the road" type artist. Just a suggestion that's maybe not too clumsy and hopefully not too far off the mark. Ultimately these are simply names which need to make sense to you.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Genre / Style

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Yes, keep Pop for your Madonna etc. and Popular for the more "easy listening" and "middle of the road" type artist. Just a suggestion that's maybe not too clumsy and hopefully not too far off the mark. Ultimately these are simply names which need to make sense to you.
    Oggy,

That's probably what I will end up doing I think. I have exhausted all other possible naming naming schemes (all the ones that I am aware of, at least).

But, if I search for POPULAR in Foobar, then will the results also show all of the POPs as well? I mean, POP is the first syllable in POPULAR!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

That's probably what I will end up doing I think. I have exhausted all other possible naming naming schemes (all the ones that I am aware of, at least).

But, if I search for POPULAR in Foobar, then will the results also show all of the POPs as well? I mean, POP is the first syllable in POPULAR!

Paul
    Paul,

I'm not very familiar with Foobar, but when you type the u of Popular, wouldn't Pop stop showing?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I'm not very familiar with Foobar, but when you type the u of Popular, wouldn't Pop stop showing?
    Yes, for a simple search. However, typing in "pop" will bring up both "Pop" and "Popular," which might not be desired.

(foobar does have query syntax that lets one find tags with specific content like "Pop" without also finding "Popular", or find anything containing "pop" as in the simple search.)
    Last edited by Jailhouse; 01-07-2018 at 11:05 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

So you mean DON'T have (say):

"The Carpenter's Hits" (GENRE = 'Easy Listening'; STYLE = 'Easy Listening').
    That's what I'm saying, yes. Any CD needing an "Easy Listening" Genre tag and an "Easy Listening" Style tag should be classified as a narcotic.

But what about mix&matching across one's entire CD collection? For example:

"Barry Manilow's Hits" (GENRE = 'Latin'; STYLE = 'Easy Listening').

"Carol King's Hits" (GENRE = 'Easy Listening'; STYLE = 'Ballads').

So that the dreaded 'Easy Listening' appears under two separate tags (albeit not on the same CD)!
    The first example is what I was getting at. You're saying the music is in the Latin genre, but is not in the raucous style of some Latin music. Style is a refinement of Genre, sort of like a sub-Genre. The other example works in much the same way.

If you're dead-set on not using "Easy Listening" in your tags, you might consider "Chill" instead. I see some Electronic and EDM music tagged that way, or as "Chill Out." It wouldn't hurt anything if you borrowed "Chill" for your own use.

Or how about "Mellow"?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Yes, for a simple search. However, typing in "pop" will bring up both "Pop" and "Popular," which might not be desired.

(foobar does have query syntax that lets one find tags with specific content like "Pop" without also finding "Popular", or find anything containing "pop" as in the simple search.)
    Hi JH,

Yes, that's what I kinda thought. I noticed this when typing in artists names such as:

James, Jameson; John, Johnson; etc.

In any event - without meaning to split hairs - is 'Pop' not an abbreviation for 'Popular'?

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

That's what I'm saying, yes. Any CD needing an "Easy Listening" Genre tag and an "Easy Listening" Style tag should be classified as a narcotic.

The first example is what I was getting at. You're saying the music is in the Latin genre, but is not in the raucous style of some Latin music. Style is a refinement of Genre, sort of like a sub-Genre. The other example works in much the same way.

If you're dead-set on not using "Easy Listening" in your tags, you might consider "Chill" instead. I see some Electronic and EDM music tagged that way, or as "Chill Out." It wouldn't hurt anything if you borrowed "Chill" for your own use.

Or how about "Mellow"?
    JH,

Finding 'Easy Listening', on the same CD, in both both Genre and Style is the kinda thing you would expect within a pre-completed tag.

So you see nothing wrong/problematic in having 'Easy Listening' as a Genre on some CD's, and as a Style on others?

Yes, Mellow and Chill are good possibilities, thanks.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-08-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

In any event - without meaning to split hairs - is 'Pop' not an abbreviation for 'Popular'?
    Yes. However music considered to be "Pop" tends to be popular across a wider demographic than, say Rock. There is a fair amount of crossover between the two, though, which is why a lot of music is tagged as "Pop/Rock."

dBpoweramp Guru

So you see nothing wrong/problematic in having 'Easy Listening' as a Genre on some CD's, and as a Style on others?
    I don't, not at all. The more pertinent question is, do you? It's your library.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes. However music considered to be "Pop" tends to be popular across a wider demographic than, say Rock. There is a fair amount of crossover between the two, though, which is why a lot of music is tagged as "Pop/Rock."
    JH,

POP is going to be next on my list. I was looking earlier and I think I actually have way less than I originally thought. In which case, I may just bundle most of the POPs together (under: 'Pop'). I don't really think I will need to split-Genres here.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't, not at all. The more pertinent question is, do you? It's your library.
    It was more a question of whether or not such duplication of a term might cause conflictions? Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

It was more a question of whether or not such duplication of a term might cause conflictions? Cheers.
    There won't be conflicts your player except where software/firmware is extremely poorly written. And if that's the case you can always edit your tags to suit, or dump the player.

As long as you aren't personally conflicted, you should have no trouble at all.

dBpoweramp Guru

There won't be conflicts your player except where software/firmware is extremely poorly written. And if that's the case you can always edit your tags to suit, or dump the player.

As long as you aren't personally conflicted, you should have no trouble at all.
    OK, cheers JH.

That's a good idea. There aren't too many CDs of this type and so I can easily switch them around at a later date if need be.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Making a start now. I have created a folder called 'Popular'. I just ripped a Neil Diamond CD with:

GENRE = Popular

STYLE = Easy Listening

All of the 'Pop' stuff will also be going into this folder (eg. Madonna, Eric Clapton, Gary Numan) albeit with their own appropriate STYLE tag.

Thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

And so my GENRES to date are:

Christmas

Jazz

Popular

Progressive Rock

Stage & Screen

TOTAL = 110GB