title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Genre / Style

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Genre / Style

Hi,

I am about to begin ripping a new GENRE. I am not sure whether to use a '&' as a replacement for 'and'.

The CD's consist of show-tunes, filmscores, musicals, TV themes, etc.

I am thinking of bundling them all together (there are about 20 in total) under the GENRE of:

Stage & Screen

or

Stage And Screen

These two factors seem to cater for all categories.

But would you use the '&' or 'and', please?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-06-2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Genre / Style

They're the same thing, but with the middle word either spelled out or abbreviated to an ampersand. It essentially boils down to which you would rather see in your library. So, what looks better to you? (If you choose Stage and Screen, though, don't capitalize "and.")

I have no strong feeling either way. If I ever have to pick one for my own use, I would probably go with the ampersand.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    They're the same thing, but with the middle word either spelled out or abbreviated to an ampersand. It essentially boils down to which you would rather see in your library. So, what looks better to you? (If you choose Stage and Screen, though, don't capitalize "and.")

I have no strong feeling either way. If I ever have to pick one for my own use, I would probably go with the ampersand.
    Thanks JH,

I was not sure if certain tags had illegal-characters or not. Obviously not, it appears.

I think you are correct about keeping 'and' in lower-case. It looks better with the adjustment.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

I am about to begin ripping a new GENRE. I am not sure whether to use a '&' as a replacement for 'and'.

The CD's consist of show-tunes, filmscores, musicals, TV themes, etc.

I am thinking of bundling them all together (there are about 20 in total) under the GENRE of:

Stage & Screen

or

Stage And Screen

These two factors seem to cater for all categories.

But would you use the '&' or 'and', please?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Hi Paul,

I've used R & B, Rhythm & Blues and, Rock & Roll: another day it may well have been, Rock 'n' Roll, or Rock And Roll. As long as it works for you, and are consistent, it is all about choices!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I've used R & B, Rhythm & Blues and, Rock & Roll: another day it may well have been, Rock 'n' Roll, or Rock And Roll. As long as it works for you, and are consistent, it is all about choices!
    Cheers Oggy,

Having slept on it, I have gone for Stage & Screen.

When I have finished ripping my 20, or so, Stage & Screen CDs, I will be moving onto a different GENRE. However, I am not sure what to call this next Genre. It will consist of artists such as:

James Taylor, Carol King, The Carpenters, etc.

I am looking for an alternative term to 'Easy Listening'. There is, of course. 'Middle Of The Road' but I am not very fond of this one. And I want to avoid using 'Popular' (because I will using 'Pop' as a Genre later down the line [for the likes of: Madonna; Michael Jackson, etc).

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-07-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Easy Listening is what I use, didn't like it either from the start but have learned to accept it for lack of a better term.

For what it's worth, I tagged Carole King's "Tapestry" as Genre=Pop/Rock and Style=Soft Rock; Singer/Songwriter

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    Easy Listening is what I use, didn't like it either from the start but have learned to accept it for lack of a better term.

For what it's worth, I tagged Carole King's "Tapestry" as Genre=Pop/Rock and Style=Soft Rock; Singer/Songwriter
    Thanks for your input evasv,

To shed a little more light upon my way of thinking, I am already using 'Easy Listening' as a STYLE tag for around 20 CDs. I find it quite suffice as a STYLE (ie. sub-genre), but not as a main-genre. Others may disagree I am sure!

I do not have a massive amount of POP music and so I do not need as many genres as others on here possibly do. My collection amounts to circa 600 CD's (400 Jazz, 100 Classical, 50 Pop, 50 Other - as a very rough estimate). Therefore, I can see your reasons for tagging Carol King under Pop/Rock and Soft Rock, but for me that would not really work. I just really want to bundle all of the previous mentioned (James Taylor, Carol King, The Carpenters, Perry Como, Matt Monroe, Johnny Mathis) together under an alternative name for 'Easy Listening' or 'Middle Of The Road'.

Paul

EDIT: I suppose I could use 'Easy Listening' as a GENRE, but then I would be left with looking for an alternative name for all STYLE tags which currently have an 'Easy Listening' label. So same difference!
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-07-2018 at 01:02 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post

There are a few genre tags I didn't like when first tagging my collection, Pop / Rock and Easy Listening, were two of them. As I went through my collection, I now realise that they are actually useful, and haven't come up with anything better.

Depending on the balance of a collection, Carole King, falls into classic Singer / Songwriter territory, along with artists like Cat Stevens and James Taylor.

Carpenters I used Pop, but this could have been Soft Rock.

The only person whose opinion counts for your collection, is yourself, and the most obvious genre to use, is the one that first comes to mind.

dBpoweramp Guru

There are a few genre tags I didn't like when first tagging my collection, Pop / Rock and Easy Listening, were two of them. As I went through my collection, I now realise that they are actually useful, and haven't come up with anything better.

Depending on the balance of a collection, Carole King, falls into classic Singer / Songwriter territory, along with artists like Cat Stevens and James Taylor.

Carpenters I used Pop, but this could have been Soft Rock.

The only person whose opinion counts for your collection, is yourself, and the most obvious genre to use, is the one that first comes to mind.
    Hi Oggy,

I may have to look in a thesaurus to see if I can find any suitable substitute terms!

I don't use Singer/Songwriter Genre/Style because I always included (in brackets after the name of the artists) if the band has vocals. For instance:

Blood, Sweat & Tears (Vocals)

Manhattan Transfer (Vocals)

Getz/Gilberto (Vocals)

This is something I never did with my rips of 10 years ago and I am very pleased with the results.

I envisage ALL of my Pop music to go inside one folder (ie. Pop) and then - as per required - each albums STYLE tag to be compiled accordingly (eg. Sixties, Funk, Soul, Mowtown, Electric, etc).

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-07-2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Back in the 1960's before (possibly) anyone (certainly me and others involved) heard of the term "easy listening" we started cataloging a college radio station's record library (on IBM cards, remember or google them!). Anyway we had four genres (and therefore sections of the library, which was sorted by genre) to make up pretty much what you'd now call Easy Listening. They were Male Vocal, Female Vocal, Group Vocal and Instrumental. These were not for Rock, Jazz, Blues, Classical, etc. which had their own genres.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for your input evasv,

To shed a little more light upon my way of thinking, I am already using 'Easy Listening' as a STYLE tag for around 20 CDs. I find it quite suffice as a STYLE (ie. sub-genre), but not as a main-genre. Others may disagree I am sure!

I do not have a massive amount of POP music and so I do not need as many genres as others on here possibly do. My collection amounts to circa 600 CD's (400 Jazz, 100 Classical, 50 Pop, 50 Other - as a very rough estimate). Therefore, I can see your reasons for tagging Carol King under Pop/Rock and Soft Rock, but for me that would not really work. I just really want to bundle all of the previous mentioned (James Taylor, Carol King, The Carpenters, Perry Como, Matt Monroe, Johnny Mathis) together under an alternative name for 'Easy Listening' or 'Middle Of The Road'.

Paul

EDIT: I suppose I could use 'Easy Listening' as a GENRE, but then I would be left with looking for an alternative name for all STYLE tags which currently have an 'Easy Listening' label. So same difference!
    Hi Paul,

Just read this post, you could use Popular as a genre, together with Pop.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

Just read this post, you could use Popular as a genre, together with Pop.
    Hi Oggy,

I am not quite sure what you mean?

You mean have one Genre POP, and another Genre as POPULAR?

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    Back in the 1960's before (possibly) anyone (certainly me and others involved) heard of the term "easy listening" we started cataloging a college radio station's record library (on IBM cards, remember or google them!). Anyway we had four genres (and therefore sections of the library, which was sorted by genre) to make up pretty much what you'd now call Easy Listening. They were Male Vocal, Female Vocal, Group Vocal and Instrumental. These were not for Rock, Jazz, Blues, Classical, etc. which had their own genres.
    Thanks schmidj,

No, I was not aware of that history, thanks.

I dare say it's a case of the more we get, the more we want. There are so many categories and sub-categories nowadays that we are spoilt for choice. Half of them I have never even heard of!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I suppose I could use 'Easy Listening' as a GENRE, but then I would be left with looking for an alternative name for all STYLE tags which currently have an 'Easy Listening' label. So same difference!
    I don't see why "Easy Listening" can't be used both ways. As a Style tag it's a refinement of the associated Genre. (Just don't use "Easy Listening" for both Genre and Style, unless the release in question is downright soporific. )
    Last edited by Jailhouse; 01-07-2018 at 03:32 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I don't see why "Easy Listening" can't be used both ways. As a Style tag it's a refinement of the associated Genre. (Just don't use "Easy Listening" for both Genre and Style, unless the release in question is downright soporific. )
    Thanks JH,

So you mean DON'T have (say):

"The Carpenter's Hits" (GENRE = 'Easy Listening'; STYLE = 'Easy Listening').

But what about mix&matching across one's entire CD collection? For example:

"Barry Manilow's Hits" (GENRE = 'Latin'; STYLE = 'Easy Listening').

"Carol King's Hits" (GENRE = 'Easy Listening'; STYLE = 'Ballads').

So that the dreaded 'Easy Listening' appears under two separate tags (albeit not on the same CD)!

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-07-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling