title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Genre / Style

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Genre / Style

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Manufacturers aren't likely to provide hardware-player support for new tags that are not in near-universal demand. It takes time and money to do so, and the latter isn't likely to be recouped unless adding a tag can somehow cause sales to soar, and hardware players are hardly a growth market. Adding support for user-created tags would be great, but there's the time/money thing again.
    Yes, it's often about money. But sometimes what gets the ball rolling is a person/developer dedicated to his project, burning of desire to make an outstanding product. Maybe we shouldn't hope for a developer burning for the style tag, but you never know...

dBpoweramp Guru

The difference between you and me is that the genre 'Jazz' is as granular as I get. Unlike you, I have no desire to drill down any farther using styles or sub-genres; for me, Jazz is Jazz. One could say I paint with a broad brush.

The cool thing is that dBpa allows customization that can satisfy both of us, and most everyone else.
    Hi JH,

Do you have a particular GENRE in your CD collection of which you have had to split into a multitude of STYLES though?; whether it be Pop or Rock?

I have now ripped over 80GB of solely Jazz!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi JH,

Do you have a particular GENRE in your CD collection of which you have had to split into a multitude of STYLES though?; whether it be Pop or Rock?
    Nope. Both pop and rock are tagged with "Pop/Rock," and that's that. As I said, broad brush. And remember, I don't even use a Style tag.

I'm even thinking of foregoing the Genre tag altogether when I start on my Classical rips, which I think I'll segregate from the other stuff.

I have now ripped over 80GB of solely Jazz!
    Good on ya! When you get done with Jazz, how far along will you be to getting your entire collection ripped?

dBpoweramp Guru

Nope. Both pop and rock are tagged with "Pop/Rock," and that's that. As I said, broad brush. And remember, I don't even use a Style tag.

Good on ya! When you get done with Jazz, how far along will you be to getting your entire collection ripped?
    Hi JH,,

OK, fair enough; whatever suits your needs. No need for subdivisions of you don't require them.

Cheers, ha ha. Well I probably will have completed about two thirds of my entire collection once the Jazz section is ripped. Possibly 400 CDs of Jazz, and 200 of other genres.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    Oggy, from the other thread you know that I use "only" 23 genres, which means that I have a lot of styles. So naturally I'm interested in this topic too.

I have an old portable player with crappy sound, so I need a new one. I started to look around yesterday. I'd like style and also composer to be supported. And maybe a customizable display. And maybe... well, so far no luck...

If I find something that supports style, I will inform in this thread.
    Hi evasv,

Paul had a recent Sony, that had to be returned for (European Regulation) volume issues. He has mentioned that it supports Genre and Style, from memory (and an older thread), I believe it supports Composer too, perhaps Paul can confirm?

Non-European models, don't have the volume restrictions.

I'm not sure that Paul would give it or Sony a recommendation, but a fully functioning, non-volume restricted model, may suit your needs.

As for the 42 Genres, I may add to this starting with, Glam Rock.

Although I always try and tag Genre accurately, my main use of search, is for instant Genre playlists: Slade, Sweet, T.Rex and Wizzard, at the touch of a button!

Of course I could tag Genre as Pop/Rock, and use Style - Glam Rock, but tried to keep things simple, whilst being practical, and hopefully maintaining compatibility, with all players and apps.

As my wife has what seem hundreds of Compilation CDs, I have Genres including, Oldies, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, Top 40, Disco, Party, and of course, Christmas! It's a very crude tagging method, but is very simple to use.
    Last edited by Oggy; 11-22-2017 at 12:37 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    foobar2000 on my HTPC and FoobarCon Pro on my android device.

Once a year, I am able to build a playlist containing all tracks with style containing Xmas, with a few clicks in FoobarCon Pro.

... I should have mentioned that FoobarCon Pro is the controller for foobar2000 on my (headless) HTPC.
    If only all apps were as good and flexible as Foobar.....

In an ideal world, we should be able to choose the options, not be limited by the player / app.

Soon be time for those Christmas favourites!
    Last edited by Oggy; 11-22-2017 at 01:08 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Lightbulb Re: Genre / Style

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Paul had a recent Sony, that had to be returned for (European Regulation) volume issues. He has mentioned that it supports Genre and Style, from memory (and an older thread), I believe it supports Composer too, perhaps Paul can confirm?

Non-European models, don't have the volume restrictions.

I'm not sure that Paul would give it or Sony a recommendation, but a fully functioning, non-volume restricted model, may suit your needs.
    Hi Oggy,

Yes, the Sony had to be sent back 3 times! Each time it came back it had inherited a new fault. The volume issue was kinda sorted by a 'fix' from the manufacturer; but I don't know how they did it. Something to do with lifting the 'restriction'? In the end I swapped it (via Amazon) for a Tablet.

The Sony displayed the Composer and Genre. It was actually great in that respect. However, I know that if I went back to it now I would definitely find it too small (compared to the fair sized Tablet).

Hope this helps.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-22-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I'll check out the Sony.

And yes, size is an important factor. I'm used to a small player but may go bigger for better functionality. But most important is sound quality.

As my wife has what seem hundreds of Compilation CDs, I have Genres including, Oldies, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, Top 40, Disco, Party, and of course, Christmas! It's a very crude tagging method, but is very simple to use.
    I used to have genres like that too - decades, subgenres, moods etc and kept adding new ones, until I had about 70 and gave up. It is a crude but simple method as you say, but there's a practical limit I think. In my case I went for styles instead, and also introduced the mood tag, and Asset took care of the decades by default. The downside is of course the lack of compatibility with all players and apps.

I have a few playlists, but when I started with Asset I appreciated the flexibility with trees and custom tags, so now I have many of those and I just love to browse around in my collection by many sort methods/tags.

When I was younger I had my whole collection of LP's in my head, but now with so much digital music that's impossible for me. I tend to buy all kinds of music (I listen to everything except hip-hop, the hardest rock (glam is ok though!) and I don't really understand the modern music styles the kids listen to). Anyway this is one of the reasons I think tagging and sorting is practical since it helps me to keep track of but also learn about my collection. Since I do my own tagging (not importing) I also learn about different styles while I'm doing it.

dBpoweramp Guru

I'll check out the Sony.

And yes, size is an important factor. I'm used to a small player but may go bigger for better functionality. But most important is sound quality.

I used to have genres like that too - decades, subgenres, moods etc and kept adding new ones, until I had about 70 and gave up. It is a crude but simple method as you say, but there's a practical limit I think. In my case I went for styles instead, and also introduced the mood tag, and Asset took care of the decades by default. The downside is of course the lack of compatibility with all players and apps.

I have a few playlists, but when I started with Asset I appreciated the flexibility with trees and custom tags, so now I have many of those and I just love to browse around in my collection by many sort methods/tags.

When I was younger I had my whole collection of LP's in my head, but now with so much digital music that's impossible for me. I tend to buy all kinds of music (I listen to everything except hip-hop, the hardest rock (glam is ok though!) and I don't really understand the modern music styles the kids listen to). Anyway this is one of the reasons I think tagging and sorting is practical since it helps me to keep track of but also learn about my collection. Since I do my own tagging (not importing) I also learn about different styles while I'm doing it.
    If you want a small, excellent sounding player, then the Astell & Kern range is excellent, though not exactly bargain basement. As usual, the software is basic, and I'm not sure that it has the options of the Sony.

Apart from not corrupting Paul's thread, the reason for starting this thread was to see how the market and manufacturers are developing with their software and what they offer in the way of functionality and search options. A portable player is certainly a long way from Asset and Foobar, but should be usable.

The days that I could remember my first 200 LPs by heart, are long gone, though I still display my files by the same method, Alphabetically, chronologically, displayed by surname. The only difference is a page of small cover art, rather than several rows of spines.

Searching by Genre is useful if a friend asks if you have any ..... specific genre, and you can hand them a tablet to choose. Definitely not as much fun, and arguably rewarding as pulling out, and recognising LP sleeves, but very easy and efficient.

Tagging by Style almost seems like a lifetime project, labour of love, especially when artists change style, not only album by album, but track by track. I'm not that dedicated, but it's good to have the choice to do this.

Mood, seems an interesting tag, but even then, one person's death metal, may be bedroom music for another!

The great part of this, is that dBpoweramp, Asset and Foobar, allow us the flexibility to indulge our personal preferences and individual taste in music, offering many different solutions. Hopefully other manufacturers are beginning to offer these options, too.
    Last edited by Oggy; 11-23-2017 at 04:30 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I'll check out the Sony.

I know I have mentioned this before on these forums, but if you want sound quality, I really think you should at least investigate/consider using a portable DAC/Headphone amp.

If you obtain a high quality DAC (from the likes of HRT, Audioquest, Cambridge Audio etc.), it is an affordable and flexible solution.

You can use it with an Apple/Android mobile device with an appropriate USB adaptor (as long as the mobile device supports audio over USB). You can also use it with a Windows PC and an Apple PC.
    Last edited by mville; 11-23-2017 at 07:16 AM. Reason: added example manufacturers

dBpoweramp Guru

I know I have mentioned this before on these forums, but if you want sound quality, I really think you should at least investigate/consider using a portable DAC/Headphone amp.

If you obtain a high quality DAC (from the likes of HRT, Audioquest, Cambridge Audio etc.), it is an affordable and flexible solution.

You can use it with an Apple/Android mobile device with an appropriate USB adaptor (as long as the mobile device supports audio over USB). You can also use it with a Windows PC and an Apple PC.
    Very good point, a friend's Audioquest Dragonfly Red, really did offer very good sound. I should imagine the cheaper Black, is no slouch either.

dBpoweramp Guru

Lightbulb Re: Genre / Style

Tagging by Style almost seems like a lifetime project, labour of love, especially when artists change style, not only album by album, but track by track. I'm not that dedicated, but it's good to have the choice to do this.

Mood, seems an interesting tag, but even then, one person's death metal, may be bedroom music for another!
    Oggy,

Yes, the STYLE tag for people like Herbie Hancock and Miles Davis can change a couple of times per decade, at least. Same for Madonna etc. I have changed the STYLE tag within a CD album on a handful of occasions but it is something I try to avoid if at all possible.

Funnily enough, the Sony Walkman had something (via a s/w d/l/) you could run called a: 'Mood Sensor' (or similar). It looked quite interesting but I never indulged (as the device spent more time in the repair centre than it did in my hands!). I notice that the site: 'All Music' makes use of the 'Mood' tag.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

mville,

I am pretty sure you kindly mentioned it, in detail, in my: 'Windows Media Player vs. Foobar/dBpa/VLC/Groove-Music' thread.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Oggy,

Yes, the STYLE tag for people like Herbie Hancock and Miles Davis can change a couple of times per decade, at least. Same for Madonna etc. I have changed the STYLE tag within a CD album on a handful of occasions but it is something I try to avoid if at all possible.

Funnily enough, the Sony Walkman had something (via a s/w d/l/) you could run called a: 'Mood Sensor' (or similar). It looked quite interesting but I never indulged (as the device spent more time in the repair centre than it did in my hands!). I notice that the site: 'All Music' makes use of the 'Mood' tag.

Paul
    Hi Paul,

Joni Mitchell went from Folk to Jazz over a period of time, whilst artists like Neil Young and Frank Zappa, you never knew what you would get from album to album. Often these style changes were seismic.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The great part of this, is that dBpoweramp, Asset and Foobar, allow us the flexibility to indulge our personal preferences and individual taste in music, offering many different solutions. Hopefully other manufacturers are beginning to offer these options, too.
    Yes, it's unfortunately a lifetime project. I try to nail the most basic tags to avoid re-tagging. But for the rest (including style, mood), I have accepted that they need some attention once in a while. I'm also picky about the basic tags, but more loose about the others to save time and not go insane...

It's interesting how different preference can be - some people seem to be content with just a few genres, while others have loads of genres, styles & moods and yet others also tag bpm & key!