title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Genre / Style

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Genre / Style

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    ... my first encounter with Genres for tagging, was seeing colleagues libraries, and seeing 80-150 genres, which was simply too many, for me.
    So, you think too much, your colleagues think far too much, and I barely think at all!

Yes, I could use Pop / Rock for 75% of my library and this would be accurate. However, it would simply be a tag which I wouldn't ever look at, and which tells me nothing that I don't already know. To me, this is barely more useful than leaving the Genre box empty.
    Indeed. I had almost decided to ignore Genre when I started ripping, but I realized a need to differentiate Jazz from non-Jazz in order to make it a bit easier to create a Jazz-only playlist (...someday). Other than that (and Classical, which is an entirely separate category), I very seldom have a desire to limit my listening to a particular genre, and when I do it's not hard to round up a number of albums/tracks to play, even without detailed tags.

The truly wonderful thing is that the technology at our disposal gives each of us the ability to create and use our libraries exactly as we please.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    So, you think too much, your colleagues think far too much, and I barely think at all!

Indeed. I had almost decided to ignore Genre when I started ripping, but I realized a need to differentiate Jazz from non-Jazz in order to make it a bit easier to create a Jazz-only playlist (...someday). Other than that (and Classical, which is an entirely separate category), I very seldom have a desire to limit my listening to a particular genre, and when I do it's not hard to round up a number of albums/tracks to play, even without detailed tags.

The truly wonderful thing is that the technology at our disposal gives each of us the ability to create and use our libraries exactly as we please.
    My wife often tells me that I don't think!

Apart from Christmas, I actually haven't used any Genre playlists, and like you, I don't limit my listening to a particular genre, and more often than not play complete albums.

However, a couple of friends have asked about a particular genre, and I've simply clicked on that genre and handed over the tablet. To be honest, this is probably how I thought it may be used, and for the sake of a few seconds, it can have some benefits.The rest of the time, tags don't exactly intrude on the listening experience.

Your last sentence says it all, and without overthinking, I couldn't agree more!
    Last edited by Oggy; 01-22-2018 at 12:40 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Genre / Style

Hi,

I am ripping the 'Hooked On Classics' CD:

Regrading GENRE and STYLE, would one tag as:

GENRE = Classical

STYLE = Pop

or,

STYLE = Easy Listening

or,

STYLE = Classical Pop

I, personally, considering:

GENRE = Easy Listening

STYLE = Classical Pop

Many thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

I am ripping the 'Hooked On Classics' CD:

Regrading GENRE and STYLE, would one tag as:

GENRE = Classical

STYLE = Pop

or,

STYLE = Easy Listening

or,

STYLE = Classical Pop

I, personally, considering:

GENRE = Easy Listening

STYLE = Classical Pop

Many thanks,

Paul
    Personally I'd definitely use Genre = Classical otherwise you're calling the same pieces a different Genre elsewhere.

Style = Easy Listening? Whichever label works for you; the song remains the same.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Personally I'd definitely use Genre = Classical otherwise you're calling the same pieces a different Genre elsewhere.

Style = Easy Listening? Whichever label works for you; the song remains the same.
    OK, thanks. I see now.

Yes, it would be a mistake to have the same TITLES under two GENREs! STYLE though, can be more flexible.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-22-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by linenandbedding View Post
    STYLE and GENRE are very important tags! I don't see how anyone can really direct without them; unless their entire CD collection is completely (say) Rock.
    Yes.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by linenandbedding View Post
    Ok finicky! I will review it in less important grassland&*8230;
    I have absolutely no idea whatsoever as to what you are talking about?