title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Genre / Style

dBpoweramp Guru

Genre / Style

Following monsterjazzlick's threads, Tags, Tags, and more Tags, and, It's All About 'Style', I can see for a number of people, the Style Tag, is very useful.

Is the ability to search by Style, becoming more standard on recent players and apps?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Genre / Style

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Is the ability to search by Style, becoming more standard on recent players and apps?
    Hi Oggy,

I hope it becomes mainstream; which is why I am preparing myself for such a scenario!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Oggy,

I hope it becomes mainstream; which is why I am preparing myself for such a scenario!

Paul
    Hi Paul,

Me too, and some sort of standard for Classical - I am pleased that Apple has made some effort in this direction, and admire Illustrate for quickly adding the facility to CD Ripper, giving comparability with the latest iTunes. The market is fairly mature now, and hopefully the newer players, software and apps are getting better. Genre and Style, strike me as tags that are standard, and if not, they should be.

I can understand a restriction on cover art size, on some players, but some omissions are baffling. Reading through specs and reviews, sometimes it is unclear which tags are supported - hence the question. I don't want to advise a friend to spend time on certain tags, only to find that the player cannot display them.

Oggy

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

Me too, and some sort of standard for Classical - I am pleased that Apple has made some effort in this direction, and admire Illustrate for quickly adding the facility to CD Ripper, giving comparability with the latest iTunes. The market is fairly mature now, and hopefully the newer players, software and apps are getting better. Genre and Style, strike me as tags that are standard, and if not, they should be.

I can understand a restriction on cover art size, on some players, but some omissions are baffling. Reading through specs and reviews, sometimes it is unclear which tags are supported - hence the question. I don't want to advise a friend to spend time on certain tags, only to find that the player cannot display them.

Oggy
    Hi Oggy,

STYLE and GENRE are vital tags! I don't see how anyone can really manage without them; unless their entire CD collection is exclusively (say) Rock.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy,

STYLE and GENRE are vital tags! I don't see how anyone can really manage without them; unless their entire CD collection is exclusively (say) Rock.

Paul
    Hi Paul,

I fully understand that for some people, both Style and Genre are vital, but what I'm interested in knowing, is which players and manufacturers' apps, can take advantage of both tags - I hope this is becoming commonplace...

As you know, I don't use Style, (but open-minded!), here's some Genres you could use:-
    Traditional Jazz, Jazz Duo, Jazz Trio, Jazz Quartet, Jazz Funk, Jazz Rock, or even, Jazz Duo Christmas (!!)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Following monsterjazzlick's threads, Tags, Tags, and more Tags, and, It's All About 'Style', I can see for a number of people, the Style Tag, is very useful.

If the media player is UPnP and you use Asset you can browse by any tag you'd like. I'm not familiar with portable players though (or non-UPnP players), is that what you mean?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I see now that you probably want Style displayed while playing too?

dBpoweramp Guru

I fully understand that for some people, both Style and Genre are vital, but what I'm interested in knowing, is which players and manufacturers' apps, can take advantage of both tags - I hope this is becoming commonplace...
    Manufacturers aren't likely to provide hardware-player support for new tags that are not in near-universal demand. It takes time and money to do so, and the latter isn't likely to be recouped unless adding a tag can somehow cause sales to soar, and hardware players are hardly a growth market. Adding support for user-created tags would be great, but there's the time/money thing again.

As you know, I don't use Style, (but open-minded!), here's some Genres you could use:-
    Traditional Jazz, Jazz Duo, Jazz Trio, Jazz Quartet, Jazz Funk, Jazz Rock, or even, Jazz Duo Christmas (!!)
    You just reeled off nearly as many Jazz genres as I have genres in my entire CD-rip collection.* I use one Jazz genre. Guess what it is?

*I do have multiple genres in the EDM files I buy online, which I keep because they're there and I can't tell most of them apart anyway. I'll probably convert them all to a single genre once I decide what that should be.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    *I do have multiple genres in the EDM files I buy online, which I keep because they're there and I can't tell most of them apart anyway. I'll probably convert them all to a single genre once I decide what that should be.
    JH,

For Jazz GENRE I actually only have 'Jazz'. The reason I have so my different STYLES (poss. 8) is because of the size of of Jazz collection. For Classical, Pop, and Rock, there is likely to be a stark difference!

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

foobar2000 on my HTPC and FoobarCon Pro on my android device.

Once a year, I am able to build a playlist containing all tracks with style containing Xmas, with a few clicks in FoobarCon Pro.

... I should have mentioned that FoobarCon Pro is the controller for foobar2000 on my (headless) HTPC.
    Last edited by mville; 11-21-2017 at 07:29 AM. Reason: added extra info

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    foobar2000 on my HTPC and FoobarCon Pro on my android device.

Once a year, I am able to build a playlist containing all tracks with style containing Xmas, with a few clicks.
    mville,

Foobar is great, yes!

My old faulty/returned 'Pony Walkman' used to display STYLE; but 'VLC' on my new 'Amazon Tablet' does not. (At least the latter has a volume setting which you can actually hear!)

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-21-2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    If the media player is UPnP and you use Asset you can browse by any tag you'd like. I'm not familiar with portable players though (or non-UPnP players), is that what you mean?
    Asset and Foobar, are super flexible, but, yes, I was wondering if recent portable and non-UPnP players offered search by Style.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    I see now that you probably want Style displayed while playing too?
    More, if searching by Style is offered, rather than displaying the style.

dBpoweramp Guru

JH,

For Jazz GENRE I actually only have 'Jazz'. The reason I have so my different STYLES (poss. 8) is because of the size of of Jazz collection. For Classical, Pop, and Rock, there is likely to be a stark difference!
    The difference between you and me is that the genre 'Jazz' is as granular as I get. Unlike you, I have no desire to drill down any farther using styles or sub-genres; for me, Jazz is Jazz. One could say I paint with a broad brush.

The cool thing is that dBpa allows customization that can satisfy both of us, and most everyone else.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Oggy, from the other thread you know that I use "only" 23 genres, which means that I have a lot of styles. So naturally I'm interested in this topic too.

I have an old portable player with crappy sound, so I need a new one. I started to look around yesterday. I'd like style and also composer to be supported. And maybe a customizable display. And maybe... well, so far no luck...

If I find something that supports style, I will inform in this thread.