title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Genre / Style

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oggy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2015

Genre / Style

Following monsterjazzlick's threads, Tags, Tags, and more Tags, and, It's All About 'Style', I can see for a number of people, the Style Tag, is very useful.

Is the ability to search by Style, becoming more standard on recent players and apps?
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Genre / Style

Originally posted by Oggy
    Is the ability to search by Style, becoming more standard on recent players and apps?
    Hi Oggy,

I hope it becomes mainstream; which is why I am preparing myself for such a scenario!

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
      Hi Oggy,

I hope it becomes mainstream; which is why I am preparing myself for such a scenario!

Paul
      Hi Paul,

Me too, and some sort of standard for Classical - I am pleased that Apple has made some effort in this direction, and admire Illustrate for quickly adding the facility to CD Ripper, giving comparability with the latest iTunes. The market is fairly mature now, and hopefully the newer players, software and apps are getting better. Genre and Style, strike me as tags that are standard, and if not, they should be.

I can understand a restriction on cover art size, on some players, but some omissions are baffling. Reading through specs and reviews, sometimes it is unclear which tags are supported - hence the question. I don't want to advise a friend to spend time on certain tags, only to find that the player cannot display them.

Oggy

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Hi Paul,

Me too, and some sort of standard for Classical - I am pleased that Apple has made some effort in this direction, and admire Illustrate for quickly adding the facility to CD Ripper, giving comparability with the latest iTunes. The market is fairly mature now, and hopefully the newer players, software and apps are getting better. Genre and Style, strike me as tags that are standard, and if not, they should be.

I can understand a restriction on cover art size, on some players, but some omissions are baffling. Reading through specs and reviews, sometimes it is unclear which tags are supported - hence the question. I don't want to advise a friend to spend time on certain tags, only to find that the player cannot display them.

Oggy
        Hi Oggy,

STYLE and GENRE are vital tags! I don't see how anyone can really manage without them; unless their entire CD collection is exclusively (say) Rock.

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2015

Hi Oggy,

STYLE and GENRE are vital tags! I don't see how anyone can really manage without them; unless their entire CD collection is exclusively (say) Rock.

Paul
          Hi Paul,

I fully understand that for some people, both Style and Genre are vital, but what I'm interested in knowing, is which players and manufacturers' apps, can take advantage of both tags - I hope this is becoming commonplace...

As you know, I don't use Style, (but open-minded!), here's some Genres you could use:-
          Traditional Jazz, Jazz Duo, Jazz Trio, Jazz Quartet, Jazz Funk, Jazz Rock, or even, Jazz Duo Christmas (!!)

Comment

• evasv
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2016

Following monsterjazzlick's threads, Tags, Tags, and more Tags, and, It's All About 'Style', I can see for a number of people, the Style Tag, is very useful.

If the media player is UPnP and you use Asset you can browse by any tag you'd like. I'm not familiar with portable players though (or non-UPnP players), is that what you mean?

Comment

• evasv
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jan 2016

I see now that you probably want Style displayed while playing too?

Comment

• Jailhouse
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2016

I fully understand that for some people, both Style and Genre are vital, but what I'm interested in knowing, is which players and manufacturers' apps, can take advantage of both tags - I hope this is becoming commonplace...
                Manufacturers aren't likely to provide hardware-player support for new tags that are not in near-universal demand. It takes time and money to do so, and the latter isn't likely to be recouped unless adding a tag can somehow cause sales to soar, and hardware players are hardly a growth market. Adding support for user-created tags would be great, but there's the time/money thing again.

As you know, I don't use Style, (but open-minded!), here's some Genres you could use:-
                Traditional Jazz, Jazz Duo, Jazz Trio, Jazz Quartet, Jazz Funk, Jazz Rock, or even, Jazz Duo Christmas (!!)
                You just reeled off nearly as many Jazz genres as I have genres in my entire CD-rip collection.* I use one Jazz genre. Guess what it is?

*I do have multiple genres in the EDM files I buy online, which I keep because they're there and I can't tell most of them apart anyway. I'll probably convert them all to a single genre once I decide what that should be.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                  *I do have multiple genres in the EDM files I buy online, which I keep because they're there and I can't tell most of them apart anyway. I'll probably convert them all to a single genre once I decide what that should be.
                  JH,

For Jazz GENRE I actually only have 'Jazz'. The reason I have so my different STYLES (poss. 8) is because of the size of of Jazz collection. For Classical, Pop, and Rock, there is likely to be a stark difference!

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

foobar2000 on my HTPC and FoobarCon Pro on my android device.

Once a year, I am able to build a playlist containing all tracks with style containing Xmas, with a few clicks in FoobarCon Pro.

... I should have mentioned that FoobarCon Pro is the controller for foobar2000 on my (headless) HTPC.
                    Last edited by mville; 11-21-2017, 12:29 PM. Reason: added extra info

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mville
                      foobar2000 on my HTPC and FoobarCon Pro on my android device.

Once a year, I am able to build a playlist containing all tracks with style containing Xmas, with a few clicks.
                      mville,

Foobar is great, yes!

My old faulty/returned 'Pony Walkman' used to display STYLE; but 'VLC' on my new 'Amazon Tablet' does not. (At least the latter has a volume setting which you can actually hear!)

Cheers,

Paul
                      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-21-2017, 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Oggy
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by evasv
                        If the media player is UPnP and you use Asset you can browse by any tag you'd like. I'm not familiar with portable players though (or non-UPnP players), is that what you mean?
                        Asset and Foobar, are super flexible, but, yes, I was wondering if recent portable and non-UPnP players offered search by Style.

Comment

• Oggy
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by evasv
                          I see now that you probably want Style displayed while playing too?
                          More, if searching by Style is offered, rather than displaying the style.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2016

JH,

For Jazz GENRE I actually only have 'Jazz'. The reason I have so my different STYLES (poss. 8) is because of the size of of Jazz collection. For Classical, Pop, and Rock, there is likely to be a stark difference!
                            The difference between you and me is that the genre 'Jazz' is as granular as I get. Unlike you, I have no desire to drill down any farther using styles or sub-genres; for me, Jazz is Jazz. One could say I paint with a broad brush.

The cool thing is that dBpa allows customization that can satisfy both of us, and most everyone else.

Comment

• evasv
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Jan 2016

Oggy, from the other thread you know that I use "only" 23 genres, which means that I have a lot of styles. So naturally I'm interested in this topic too.

I have an old portable player with crappy sound, so I need a new one. I started to look around yesterday. I'd like style and also composer to be supported. And maybe a customizable display. And maybe... well, so far no luck...

If I find something that supports style, I will inform in this thread.

Comment

Working...

]]>