title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Best FLAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AllenC
    • Dec 2017

Re: Best FLAC

Thank you for the reply.
    Yes, I did a bit of experimenting and did notice the longer rip time, but agree that in my case, that's not really an issue. I'm not a tech guy, so it's hard for me to think of potential consequences (you don't know what you don't know!), but for example, although I chose FLAC, for one because it seems that it is a compatible format with many players (arguable, I'm sure), I wonder whether the compression could be an issue with some. or in the future? For now, I will be streaming through a Sonos system, which seems to work fine so far with a few newly ripped CD's (classical naming formats are another story for another thread).
    Maybe I am being true to form in that I'm complicating things, but I want to start right!
    Thanks again.

Comment

• Dat Ei
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2014

You can compare flac compression with zip compression of your other data files. No matter what compression level you chose you won't loose a single detail.

Dat Ei

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by AllenC
        I chose FLAC, for one because it seems that it is a compatible format with many players (arguable, I'm sure), I wonder whether the compression could be an issue with some. or in the future? For now, I will be streaming through a Sonos system, which seems to work fine so far with a few newly ripped CD's (classical naming formats are another story for another thread).
        In the distant past, with older/slower systems/cpus, there may have been issues when decoding flacs with higher compression levels, not that I ever experienced any problems.

Regarding the future, if there were any problems, which I seriously doubt, you are able to re-convert your flacs with a different compression level. If you are still unsure, stick with the default/recommended compression level 5. Personally, I use compression level 8.

Comment

• Jailhouse
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2016

[...] I chose FLAC, for one because it seems that it is a compatible format with many players (arguable, I'm sure), I wonder whether the compression could be an issue with some. or in the future?
          All the hard work at higher compression levels is done during ripping by the encoding software. To the CPU, there is no difference between decoding FLAC files compressed at Level 8, Level 1, or anywhere in between.

Comment

• AllenC
            • Dec 2017

Thanks everyone. I'm convinced! I'll go with the recommended compression and "enjoy" the benefit.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Thanks everyone. I'm convinced! I'll go with the recommended compression and "enjoy" the benefit.
              Hi Allen,

I went the 'recommend' level also since I purchased four months ago.

Paul

Comment

• jultsu
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by evasv
                I agree

This I don't understand, would you care to explain more?

Have you seen the video in the link? Do you actually agree with what Ben from CA says?
                I meant that a DAC / digi-interface can do both (buffering and upsampling.)

Comment

Working...

]]>