title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Large Scale Batch Convert

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Large Scale Batch Convert

I am thinking of converting my AIFF music library to FLAC in order to accommodate some potential new hardware limitations. Due to the size of my AIFF library and limited space on my NAS drrive, I'd like to know if I can select a group of folders (i.e., A to C, D to G, etc.) with a few clicks or do I have to select each folder in the range?

Also embedded in some of the folders are PDF liner notes. When I do the batch covert, is there a way for me to automatically copy over these non-music files. Presume not and I will have to manually copy from source to destination.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Large Scale Batch Convert

What platform/OS is dBpoweramp Music Converter installed?

Administrator

You would be best creating new folders called

and drag into these folders the artists you want to convert in one go. Then use Batch Converter to select the single folder containing all artists.

There is the DSP effect 'Folder.jpg' preserve, you can set .pdf in there.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, that worked and was really pleased with the DSP that moved my PDF liner notes to the target folders. However, there was one issue that I was surprised to see. Each of my AIFF files have a disc number-track number prefix (1-01 Title1, 1-02 Title2, etc.) but that didn't carry over during the batch conversion.

Here is a screenshot of the AIFF files:
    AIFF.jpg

and the converted FLAC files:
    FLAC.jpg

I can run the Arrange Audio codec for the converted files, but it seems that disc number-track number prefix should carry over. Any throughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

dBpoweramp Guru

When converting to flac, what did you enter/select in the Output To box?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So I ran a few more tests and understand what you may be asking.

When I select my output location as Folder, the disc number-track number prefix is preserved:
    Folder.jpg

When I select Dynamic, but the same location, the disc number-track number prefix is wiped:
    Dynamic.jpg

However, I really need Dynamic for a large-scale conversion or run I'll need to run the Arrange Audio codec afterward.

dBpoweramp Guru

What version of dBpoweramp Music Converter do you have installed?

If you use Dynamic Naming use Add Property >> Source Filename ([origfilename]).
    Last edited by mville; 11-17-2017 at 06:28 AM. Reason: added more help

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by David W View Post
    When I select Dynamic, but the same location, the disc number-track number prefix is wiped:
    Dynamic.jpg
    Yes. That is because you only have [title], in the dynamic filename.

dBpoweramp Guru

I really need Dynamic for a large-scale conversion or run I'll need to run the Arrange Audio codec afterward.
    Please can you describe the folder structure for your AIFF files, maybe post a full pathname/filename of one of your files?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Please can you describe the folder structure for your AIFF files, maybe post a full pathname/filename of one of your files?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    What version of dBpoweramp Music Converter do you have installed?

If you use Dynamic Naming use Add Property >> Source Filename ([origfilename]).
    Sorry for being missing in action for a few weeks. Once I plugged in the [origfilename], my file naming convention was preserved. However, it took a full day to convert just the "A" portion of my library so I will have to rethink this strategy. What I found surprising was that running the batch converter on a both a new MS Surface Pro 4 and a 2011 Mac Book Pro, the Mac was far faster than the Surface. I would have thought the opposite due to the age of the hardware and software.

My AIFF file path, for what it's worth, is:
    \\DISKSTATION\music\Ahmad Jamal\The Complete Ahmad Jamal Trio Argo Sessions; 1956-1962\1-03 How About You
    --NAS------------Folder---Artist--------Album------------------------------------------------------------File name (where I ran the Arrange Audio utility to add disc-track number)-----

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sorry for being missing in action for a few weeks. Once I plugged in the [origfilename], my file naming convention was preserved. However, it took a full day to convert just the "A" portion of my library so I will have to rethink this strategy. What I found surprising was that running the batch converter on a both a new MS Surface Pro 4 and a 2011 Mac Book Pro, the Mac was far faster than the Surface. I would have thought the opposite due to the age of the hardware and software.

My AIFF file path, for what it's worth, is:
    \\DISKSTATION\music\Ahmad Jamal\The Complete Ahmad Jamal Trio Argo Sessions; 1956-1962\1-03 How About You
    --NAS------------Folder---Artist--------Album------------------------------------------------------------File name (where I ran the Arrange Audio utility to add disc-track number)-----
    Well, I am trying this again. It will take awhile, but I need to do this. Since my last time, I have upgraded to dbPoweramp 16.2 (OSX) and I can't follow the directions that I thought I knew with this new version. Gudiance please. Thanks.
    Last edited by David W; 04-02-2018 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Please delete post. I resolved this issue.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Nope, not resolved. I have been doing this for a few days. Using the OS X version, I dragged and dropped all artists beginning with A into an A folder, B into a B folder, etc. I'm using Batch Converter and the A artists took a good part of the day, but the B artists (5718 files) have taken ~20 hours and the end is in sight, but my Mac/NAS conversion is running painfully slow. Thoughts about reliabiiltiy (always the most imporatant) and improvements on speed- such as converting smaller batches? I'm thinking short term, abort once I see the Sringsteen has been converted, and then continue with all artists following Springsteen for the rest of the B (first name) artists.

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 5.29.54 AM.png

dBpoweramp Guru

Maybe it is no good idea to start the conversion for the files hosted on your NAS, because your NAS and/or your network is the bottleneck.

Dat Ei