title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Hd flac

Hd flac

What is HD FLAC? What are the difference between normal FLAC file and HD FLAC file? If HF FLAC file sounds much better than FLAC?
    Can I use dBpoweramp to rip my CD to HD FLAC file? How? THX.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Hd flac

Quote Originally Posted by MMBL622 View Post
    What is HD FLAC? What are the difference between normal FLAC file and HD FLAC file? If HF FLAC file sounds much better than FLAC?
    Do you have a reference to or where did you hear of, HD FLAC?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MMBL622 View Post
    Can I use dBpoweramp to rip my CD to HD FLAC file? How?
    You can rip a standard audio CD, 16-bit, 44.1kHz to a flac file (lossless).

If by HD FLAC you mean a hi-resolution flac, you can convert the ripped CD to a higher bit depth and sample rate, but you won't gain anything, e.g. you won't get higher quality, just larger file sizes.

dBpoweramp Guru

Maybe he means a High-Res FLAC file such as a 24/96 or 24/192 FLAC file that was purchased from some on-line store (e.g., HD Tracks) or obtained from some other source. These are FLAC files and they are high-res. But as mville points out *ripping* a CD that is 16/44.1 will produce a regular FLAC file that is 16/44.1. Turning it into a 24/96 or 24/192 will only make the file larger without changing anything about the actual audio in the stream.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Maybe he means a High-Res FLAC file such as a 24/96 or 24/192 FLAC file that was purchased from some on-line store (e.g., HD Tracks) or obtained from some other source. These are FLAC files and they are high-res.
    That is what I assumed, but I wanted to be sure.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, marketing nonsense. FLAC is an audio codec used to encode/decode audio files in the flac audio file format, where the digital audio is compressed, with no loss of quality (lossless). For more info, have a look here: what is FLAC?

FLAC files can be of differing bit-depths and sample rates, the most common being 16-bit, 44.1kHz as this is the bit-depth, sample rate of red book audio CDs. Other examples include 16-bit, 48kHz or 24-bit, 96Hz or 24-bit, 192kHz.

In recent years we have seen the introduction of hi-resolution audio files, where the bit-depth and sample rate is higher than 16-bit, 44.1kHz. True hi-res files will be created from hi-resolution sources e.g. recorded, mixed, mastered or re-remastered sources, not from red-book audio CDs.

Hi-res audio is available in many formats including DVD-Audio discs, DVD-Video discs, SACDs, Blu-ray audio discs and file downloads.

So, Flac-HD or HD Flac are just hi-resolution flac files, with a fancy marketing name.
    Last edited by mville; 11-17-2017 at 05:19 AM. Reason: added formats