title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious issues with dBpoweramp CD ripper

Serious issues with dBpoweramp CD ripper

Ok, I don't know if this is me, the settings in dBpoweramp, or something else.

I am in the middle of changing my home music wireless system from an Apple iMac/iTunes based system streaming to a load of Sonos gear via a USB hard drive to a NAS based system instead.

After much research I decided that FLAC was the best option for my NAS drive (QNAP TS251 with Qfinder pro software).

After more research I was informed that dBpoweramp was the way to go for ripping CDs onto my NAS in FLAC file format. However, I'm finding that dBpoweramp is only accepting and successfully ripping about 8 out of every 10 CDs I throw at it. I never had any issues with iTunes importing in Apple Lossless and it is the same CDs that I'm trying to rip to dBpoweramp. I ripped over 1000 CDs into iTunes, without a single hiccup, yet I have only managed to import 100 CDs into dBpoweramp and I'm looking at a pile of 19 CDs that it failed to import due to accuracy errors and the like.

For the record, all my CDs are brand new without even a fingerprint on them, I'm fastidious, so there will be zero errors on any of them. Even classical CDs from Deutsche Grammophonare not being accepted.

I took some of the CDs that dBpoweramp failed to rip and ripped them perfectly ok in iTunes so I have to assume that there is a setting or two in dBpoweramp that I'm missing. Thing is, iTunes is really intuitive and easy to use and set up, dBpoweramp on the other hand is hard to fathom and not self explanatory. But, I do have the ripping mode set to 'Blast' and even then, it is struggling with a lot of my 'brand new' CDs.

Does anybody have any screen grabs of the various Preference settings and other settings in dBpoweramp that are known to work for standard CD ripping to FLAC files as I'm pulling my hair out every time it spits a CD out after not importing it, or only importing a few tracks from it. With over a thousand CDs to import I don't want this stress every 6 or 7 discs.

I can't find any simple-to-follow instructions on how to set up dBpoweramp anywhere. If iTunes imported as FLAC files I would not have any of these issues.

I'm only glad I didn't pay for dBpoweramp and am still on the trail period with it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Serious issues with dBpoweramp CD ripper

Quote Originally Posted by MrWriter View Post
    all my CDs are brand new without even a fingerprint on them, I'm fastidious, so there will be zero errors on any of them. Even classical CDs from Deutsche Grammophonare not being accepted.
    CDs can contain manufacturing errors which are not visible, so you have no idea whether there will be zero errors.

I took some of the CDs that dBpoweramp failed to rip and ripped them perfectly ok in iTunes so I have to assume that there is a setting or two in dBpoweramp that I'm missing. Thing is, iTunes is really intuitive and easy to use and set up, dBpoweramp on the other hand is hard to fathom and not self explanatory. But, I do have the ripping mode set to 'Blast' and even then, it is struggling with a lot of my 'brand new' CDs.
    This misunderstanding when ripping CDs in iTunes (or WMP), compared to ripping using dBpoweramp is very common. You will find similar posts to yours, here in these forums.

One difference between CDRipper and iTunes is that CDRipper will report ripping errors, whereas iTunes will not. So, you may have ripped CDs in iTunes, but you will be oblivious to any errors, unless they are audible on playback.

One of the main reasons in using CDRipper is to obtain bit-perfect rips. If you require bit-perfect rips, you don't want to use Burst ripping mode rather, you will want to configure your drive for AccurateRip and use Secure mode. You probably need to read the following for more understanding of the software and how to configure:

Spoon's Audio Guide (especially the CD Ripper Secure Ripping Setup Guide)

Online Help: Windows or Apple OS X

dBpoweramp CD Ripper

Administrator

It might also be worth trying a different CD drive.

Can somebody be kind enough to tell me what to have 'all' the settings set to, not only in the main dBpoweramp interface, but in the preferences too. I'd be much obliged.

dBpoweramp Guru

Can somebody be kind enough to tell me what to have 'all' the settings set to, not only in the main dBpoweramp interface, but in the preferences too. I'd be much obliged.
    Leave them on the default settings. The settings for your drive are drive dependant. The software helps you to configure the drive, by inserting discs. Have you configured your drive for AccurateRip?

How do I configure my CD drive for AccurateRip?

dBpoweramp Guru

I have already explained, in the last paragraph of post no. 2. The link has a section called Configuring AccurateRip.

I tried my best to help, but I am sorry, I can't help you if you choose not to read the posts or to take advice.

dBpoweramp Guru

Perhaps you have already configured your drive? Go to:
    CD Ripper Menu >> CD Ripper Options >> Ripping Method Secure >> Secure Settings

In the dBpoweramp CD Ripper: Secure Options window, at the top, does it state Pass 1 AccurateRip Verified?

No, just some disclaimers about secure mode stresses the CD drive and works it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Perhaps you have already configured your drive? Go to:
    CD Ripper Menu >> CD Ripper Options >> Ripping Method Secure >> Secure Settings

In the dBpoweramp CD Ripper: Secure Options window, at the top, does it state Pass 1 AccurateRip Verified?

No, just some disclaimers about secure mode stresses the CD drive and works it hard.

dBpoweramp Guru

So, as per the instrutions, before AccurateRip can be used it must find your drives read offset.

You will have to keep inserting popular CDs (AccurateRip key discs), until AccurateRip configures.

dBpoweramp Guru

Ok, I don't know if this is me, the settings in dBpoweramp, or something else....However, I'm finding that dBpoweramp is only accepting and successfully ripping about 8 out of every 10 CDs I throw at it. I never had any issues with iTunes importing in Apple Lossless and it is the same CDs that I'm trying to rip to dBpoweramp. I ripped over 1000 CDs into iTunes, without a single hiccup, yet I have only managed to import 100 CDs into dBpoweramp and I'm looking at a pile of 19 CDs that it failed to import due to accuracy errors and the like.

For the record, all my CDs are brand new without even a fingerprint on them, I'm fastidious, so there will be zero errors on any of them. Even classical CDs from Deutsche Grammophonare not being accepted.

Does anybody have any screen grabs of the various Preference settings and other settings in dBpoweramp that are known to work for standard CD ripping to FLAC files as I'm pulling my hair out every time it spits a CD out after not importing it, or only importing a few tracks from it. With over a thousand CDs to import I don't want this stress every 6 or 7 discs.

I can't find any simple-to-follow instructions on how to set up dBpoweramp anywhere.
    Hi MrWriter,

I have 140GB of an iPod, filled up with MP3 files ripped from iTunes, and as you say, they all rip without reporting any errors. I've also heard several CDs played back from my iPod, with skips, mutes and other, clearly audible errors: I'm sure there will be many more that I haven't played yet...

Over the last two and a half years, I have ripped a couple of thousand CDs to my NAS, using dBpoweramp's CD Ripper. None jump or skip, but about between 2-3%, have not given an AccurateRip on one or more tracks - this includes a few CDs that have a single frame with an error.

That means out of a whole CD, there is 1/75 of a second with an error. Simply by the ripping process, I know which tracks have errors, and a fair idea where on the track, the error will be. Because of the Secure ripping, and the additional re-reads, none have any audible errors. I no longer play CDs, but play back lossless files, knowing this, and not having to rely on error correction, means that over 97% of my files are bit perfect, and I know the individual tracks with (very minor) errors. I consider the purchase of dBpoweramp, great value.

As Spoon suggested, a different drive is a very good idea. The most expensive DVD drive I have, was £15, but have been given a few free from friends; shops sell second hand ones for around £2. A different drive often solves the problem, of a CD that is being troublesome, and if you are ripping 1000+ CDs, would make a very sound investment.

The links that mville posted for you have a number of suggested settings, and screenshots, the most obvious things to do are as has been suggested, (if using Windows), set the drive offset, and, try ripping with C2 Error Pointers, unchecked, if you have them enabled.
    Last edited by Oggy; 11-14-2017 at 10:24 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Please can you confirm which version of dBpoweramp Music Converter you have installed and on which platform/OS?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Please can you confirm which version of dBpoweramp Music Converter you have installed and on which platform/OS?
    I'm on latest Mac OS and I only downloaded dBpoweramp the other day, so the latest one.