title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

The Next Level - 706.5/768 PCM-WAV, Native DSD Support

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArcticBama
    • Nov 2017

The Next Level - 706.5/768 PCM-WAV, Native DSD Support

I would like to see an update to the CD Ripper program. Are there any plans for additional bit rates, even the possibility for 64-bit audio conversion? I would LOVE to hear my audio rips played back at 706.5/768 PCM (WAV). Also would like to request DSD conversion as well. DSD 2.8, 5.6, 11.2, 22.4+ are gaining more traction these days. Any update on this would be gladly accepted. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by ArcticBama; 11-13-2017, 03:29 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: The Next Level - 706.5/768 PCM-WAV, Native DSD Support

If the source is 16 bit, converting to 32, 64, 128 bits would not give any extra quality, you still have 16 bit files.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ArcticBama
      I would LOVE to hear my audio rips played back at 706.5/768 PCM (WAV).
      Audio CDs (Red book standard) are 16-bit linear PCM and 44.1kHz sample rate.

Increasing/converting the bit depth and sample rate does not give you hi-res audio quality, so the audio would sound the same (or possibly worse, depending on the audio conversion software).

Comment

• ArcticBama
        • Nov 2017

@Spoon

THANK YOU so much for replying back to my message! I totally agree with what you're saying about the Redbook protocol for CDs. I just simply noticed some subtle -subtle- improvements for certain masters on CD when the files are converted up to 24-bit and 32-bit float playback.

This comes from experimentation of course with a DAC and headphone amp connected to my desktop. I have been listening to mostly live recordings and studio session albums converted up to 24-48, 24-96, 24-192 (88.2 and 176.4 is not much different in size so I skipped those settings), and 24-384. All conversions were made into FLAC except for 32-192 WAV and 32-384 WAV. Even though the original files are 16-44.1 on the disk, for some reason when converted and played though a DAC, the music just comes...ALIVE.

As in 'How in the HEEZY are you playing this level of sound from a 16-bit master'?!? It's something that's been simply amazing to me IMO. And YES, I've played back some GARBAGE CD recordings too. The mastering technique does matter with each CD I've tested. Even HDCDs sound even better!

My goal and of course with your help, is to experiment with these higher bit-rate conversions. I have discovered that there are some converters out in the wild that can indeed convert up to these newer frequencies including DSD 11.2, 22.4 and beyond. So about a beta test, just for kicks and giggles?

Comment

Working...

]]>