title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Re: RE: You Tube Grabber (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: RE: You Tube Grabber (help?)

Hi folks,

Earlier this year I purchased the full version of video grabbing/converting software 'WinX Ripper':

It is fine and I am very happy with it.

One of my intended uses is to grab (from You Tube) rare Jazz recordings which are not available for purchase (or are being advertised on the likes of eBay at ridiculously hiked-up prices of circa $200!).

For example, I stumbled across an amazing Chick Corea album from the 70s called 'The Sun'. I have d/l it to my PC using 'WinX' s/w:

Now, because it is a video (well, an MP4 with some cheesy still images added by the OP), I need to extract the AUDIO. And so I drag&drop the MP4 into 'WinX'.

My question is, please, I am offered a few different formats such as: WMA, MP3, FLAC, WAV, etc (I am on PC). There are comments (eg. recommendations) underneath each format:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WinX_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	297236

Name:	WinX_2.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	297237

I am assuming that when a music file (say a WAV) is uploaded to You Tube (by the OP) that it is automatically converted (by Google) into an MP3 file? If so, or if similar, then is there any point in me converting the audio from the grabbed video into FLAC or WAV? I mean, will I just end up with a large file size but nothing gained 'audibly' speaking?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-10-2017, 05:31 PM. Reason: Insert Images
  • Jailhouse
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2016

Re: You Tube Grabber (help?)

I imagine obtaining a recording this way as illegal in the UK as it is in the US. Scarcity or unavailability of the source doesn't change that.

That said, if the streamed audio is in MP3 format, converting it to FLAC will result in a file that sounds like an MP3. It might make your tagging easier, though, since you're ripping your CDs to FLAC. With the FLAC option available, I wouldn't convert to WAV at gunpoint.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
      I imagine obtaining a recording this way as illegal in the UK as it is in the US. Scarcity or unavailability of the source doesn't change that.

That said, if the streamed audio is in MP3 format, converting it to FLAC will result in a file that sounds like an MP3. It might make your tagging easier, though, since you're ripping your CDs to FLAC. With the FLAC option available, I wouldn't convert to WAV at gunpoint.
      Hi JH,

Yes, I agree it is a a little shady to download albums from You Tube which results in the artist receiving zero royalties. But I can't afford $200 for a s/h vinyl! If I have any defence at all here, I just checked to find I have over 40 x Chick Corea albums (around 13GB) so I have spent quite a lot of money on him. Plus, I have been to see him perform in London 7 x times. Anyway, he donates 25% of his income to L.Ron Hubbard's 'Church Of Scientology'! lol

I am actually not sure which format the You Tube upload is in?, or how you might be able to tell:

All of my own uploads are MP3s. I did try WAV a few times but they took too long to upload!, plus someone said that they are converted (by Google) - but I can't remember what to?

Yes, FLAC is best for tagging over WAV.

Cheers,

Paul
      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-10-2017, 10:18 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

I don't know enough about youtube to know what the format the audio is stored in. And I don't know how your program handles saving audio. Here's the potential problem I see. Say the youtube is mp3, then your program extracts the audio as mp3, but it is actually *converting* the existing audio to mp3. This could result in a transcoding of a lossy mp3 to mp3 again (this is generally a no-no). Extracting as FLAC probably means that at least you haven't done a transcode from lossy to lossy. The extracted audio is whatever is is (even if mp3). Given that, I'd likely go with FLAC. And even though it may be wasted hard drive space, how many of these are you really going to have. Hundreds? Probably not. So what's a little wasted space on a HDD....

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
          I don't know enough about youtube to know what the format the audio is stored in. And I don't know how your program handles saving audio. Here's the potential problem I see. Say the youtube is mp3, then your program extracts the audio as mp3, but it is actually *converting* the existing audio to mp3. This could result in a transcoding of a lossy mp3 to mp3 again (this is generally a no-no). Extracting as FLAC probably means that at least you haven't done a transcode from lossy to lossy. The extracted audio is whatever is is (even if mp3). Given that, I'd likely go with FLAC. And even though it may be wasted hard drive space, how many of these are you really going to have. Hundreds? Probably not. So what's a little wasted space on a HDD....
          Hi Gary,

Thanks very much.

So you mean that 'Win_X Converter' would be converting a music-file to exactly the same file type as it already is?!

In any case, I have d/l as FLAC.

It is only the ultra rare, unobtainable, and mega expensive recordings that I plan to grab from You-Tube. Possibly about 10 albums at the absolute most. I use You-Tube to audition CDs I am interested in hearing, and then if I like them I order them from eBay or Amazon. Most single CDs are under $10 which is an OK price.

I can't remember if I told you but I am studying English and Maths on a part-time evening class, as a mature student. And so I purchased 'WinX Converter' to d/l tutorial videos from You-Tube and store them on my Amazon Tablet (so that I don't have to be online to watch them). None of the videos are for-sale products and so I am not causing any Party to lose revenue. They are solely for personal study purposes.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
            So you mean that 'Win_X Converter' would be converting a music-file to exactly the same file type as it already is?!
            I have no knowledge of how "Win_X Converter" works. But it is *not* unlikely that it may reconvert any youtube audio, even if converting from, say, mp3 to mp3. Given your use case, I'd go with FLAC, then you know you have at least the same quality as the original youtube video.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Hi guys,

Now that I have d/l the You-Tube recording of Chick Corea's 'The Sun' CD, I have a couple of questions if I may.

The d/l is the full album, albeit with no track-markings! In other words, it is one continuous track from start to end:

Name:	Sun.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	293725

Is it possible, please, to use Illustrate to create separations (ie. Track 1; Track 2; Track 3; etc)? I had a try earlier and (I probably totally off here!) I was thinking you might be able to BURN the file to CD, and then open the CD with 'dBpa', and perform the task using the latter s/w?

Or, can you only achieve the desired end result using a different s/w altogether? I have the DAW 'Steinberg Cubase' (which I use to record my own songs on). This would be able to make the edits in; but I was interested to hear if Illustrate was capable? 'Cubase' has much capable tagging facilities for MP3, and some for Wav; but I don't think they are a match against Illustrate.

Cheers

Paul
              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-11-2017, 05:59 PM. Reason: Insert Image

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

I have no knowledge of how "Win_X Converter" works. But it is *not* unlikely that it may reconvert any youtube audio, even if converting from, say, mp3 to mp3. Given your use case, I'd go with FLAC, then you know you have at least the same quality as the original youtube video.
                Cheers Gary. That's really helpful. I have followed your advice here. Paul

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Hi guys,

Now that I have d/l the You-Tube recording of Chick Corea's 'The Sun' CD, I have a couple of questions if I may.

The d/l is the full album, albeit with no track-markings! In other words, it is one continuous track from start to end:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]1837[/ATTACH]

Is it possible, please, to use Illustrate to create separations (ie. Track 1; Track 2; Track 3; etc)? I had a try earlier and (I probably totally off here!) I was thinking you might be able to BURN the file to CD, and then open the CD with 'dBpa', and perform the task using the latter s/w?

Or, can you only achieve the desired end result using a different s/w altogether? I have the DAW 'Steinberg Cubase' (which I use to record my own songs on). This would be able to make the edits in; but I was interested to hear if Illustrate was capable? 'Cubase' has much capable tagging facilities for MP3, and some for Wav; but I don't think they are a match against Illustrate.

Cheers

Paul
                  no, not possible with illustrate products. But there are products that allow you to edit an audio stream into separate parts. Something like audacity will do what you want.
                  Audacity is the world's most popular audio editing and recording app. Edit, mix, and enhance your audio tracks with the power of Audacity. Download now!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

no, not possible with illustrate products. But there are products that allow you to edit an audio stream into separate parts. Something like audacity will do what you want.
                    http://www.audacityteam.org/
                    Cheers Gary,

I have heard of 'Audacity' before on different forums.

Do you use it yourself?

Paul

(Have just d/l.)
                    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-11-2017, 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Cheers Gary,

I have heard of 'Audacity' before on different forums.

Do you use it yourself?

Paul

(Have just d/l.)
                      Years ago I used it to create a bunch of short song clips to use as ring tones on my phone.

Comment

• mville
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2008

I have the DAW 'Steinberg Cubase' (which I use to record my own songs on). This would be able to make the edits in; but I was interested to hear if Illustrate was capable? 'Cubase' has much capable tagging facilities for MP3, and some for Wav; but I don't think they are a match against Illustrate.
                        If you have Cubase, I would edit in that, rather than install more software.

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
                          Yes. And once you break into separate tracks with cubase, you can use dbpa to add tags and artwork.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mville
                            Hi mville,

I only have Cubase on my work PC. I have installed Audacity on my home laptop now. It only took a couple of minutes. I will see how I get along with it. I can always use Cubase instead if preferred.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Hi,

I watched some tutorials on 'Audacity' and tried to make the CD edit using only this s/w.

I split the tracks and exported. But even though all of the tracks are correctly numbered (1-5), they only appear in alphabetical order (rather than by respective track number?):

Name:	Sun_1.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	293726

Name:	Sun_2.png
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	293727

I am not sure why this is, please?

Thanks a lot,

Paul
                              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-11-2017, 07:39 PM. Reason: Insert Images

Comment

Working...

]]>