title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How to rip a SACD?

How to rip a SACD?

Is it possible to rip a SACD to music file ? I use an external Transcend 8 x DVD ROM but unable to to rip a SACD (not Hybrid) through my dBpoweramp. I put my SACD into my DVD ROM but my dBpoweramp has no action.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How to rip a SACD?

dBpa rips Audio CDs (red book standard) only.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

If an SACD is a Hybrid SACD it will have 2 layers, the DSD layer and the CD layer.

If an SACD is a Single layer SACD it will only have the DSD layer.

You cannot rip the DSD layer of an SACD using dBpoweramp Music Converter, only the CD layer i.e. you can only rip a hybrid SACD with dBpoweramp Music Converter and it will not rip the hi-res layer, only the standard audio CD layer.

As you stated, your SACD is non-hybrid, so your drive will not read the disc at all.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MMBL622 View Post
    Is it possible to rip a SACD to music file ?
    There are a few methods to rip the DSD layer of an SACD, some PS3 models with particular firmware and OPPO and Pioneer models with a particular Mediatek chip will. Search the web for more info.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Well, technically that's not ripping, that's more along the lines of recording...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jultsu View Post
    Well, technically that's not ripping, that's more along the lines of recording...
    Why wouldn't it be ripping?

dBpoweramp Guru

Please can you elaborate as the methods I refer to are ripping, in my mind.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Well, for starters, you press "play" on one end and hit "record" on the other. You are basically just recording digital data like you would do with analogue data on a cassette deck. You need to chop up your recording afterwards to separate the tracks, give them names (like you would write on a cassette leaflet) and as an added bonus you have no event log of what has happened, no way to verify what was recorded was actually what was played from the source.

dBpoweramp Guru

Well, for starters, you press "play" on one end and hit "record" on the other. You are basically just recording digital data like you would do with analogue data on a cassette deck. You need to chop up your recording afterwards to separate the tracks, give them names (like you would write on a cassette leaflet) and as an added bonus you have no event log of what has happened, no way to verify what was recorded was actually what was played from the source.
    The methods I referred to earlier in the thread are nothing of the sort you describe. I suggest you do your homework before making assumptions here.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    There are a few methods to rip the DSD layer of an SACD, some PS3 models with particular firmware and OPPO and Pioneer models with a particular Mediatek chip will. Search the web for more info.
    Cambridge 752BD & CXU have the Mediatek chip too.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    The methods I referred to earlier in the thread are nothing of the sort you describe. I suggest you do your homework before making assumptions here.
    I see, they've made some progress then. That's the 0ldsk00l way, back in '06 if I recall correctly?

dBpoweramp Guru

I see, they've made some progress then. That's the 0ldsk00l way, back in '06 if I recall correctly?
    No. For more info, enter ripping sacd in a web search engine of your choice

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I have a Pioneer drive (BDR-XD07 J-UHD).
    Would this rip SACD? What software should be used with it?
    There was a software that came with it that can rip CDs called CyberLink.