title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Track order in files

Track order in files

I have noticed that although dbpoweramp ripped the tracks in order,
    they are not always stored that way in the encoded file.

In some cases they are and in others they appear in almost random order

Any thoughts on how to:

a) Prevent this from happening
    b) Fix the problem short of re-ripping or manually re-sequencing the tracks in the saved file.

Thank you … Mark

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Track order in files

Are you able to post a screenshot, showing/explaining the random behaviour you describe?

I attached a copy of the Paganini's 24 Violin Caprices.

The tracks are in random order 25, 7, 24, 12, 2, 13 ....
    instead of 1, 2, ... 24.

I have ripped a large collection of cd's and noticed the problem on select discs.
    Some are in perfect sequence and others appear random even though they were
    ripped the same way.

Your advice is appreciated.

Paganini Caprices file.jpgPaganini Caprices file.jpgPaganini Caprices file.jpg

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Mark,

Quote Originally Posted by schloss2 View Post
    I have noticed that although dbpoweramp ripped the tracks in order,
    they are not always stored that way in the encoded file.
    to tell you the brutal truth: there is no sort order of the tracks in your storage at all!

The order always depends on the sorting of the program which displays your tracks. I.e.: Windows file explorer sorts the tracks depending on your default sort column or the column you click on. A Windows standard installation would sort the tracks by the file name. For that case you need leading track numbers in your filenames. Other program (i.e. intelligent music player) are able to sort your files by the track number embeded in your tags.

From my Point of view: use track numbers as part your filenames for stupid players and programs (i.e. car audio systems) and use the tag track number in your meta data for intelligent programs.

Dat Ei
    Last edited by Dat Ei; 11-02-2017 at 10:14 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I attached a copy of the Paganini's 24 Violin Caprices.

The tracks are in random order 25, 7, 24, 12, 2, 13 ....
    instead of 1, 2, ... 24.
    They are not in random order at all, they are in alphabetical order.

As Dat Ei has stated, the order is defined by the application you are using to view the files e.g. Windows File Explorer or Apple Mac Finder.

I checked more files. It seems that those in track sequence have a track number as the first two characters in the track name.
    Some file have it others do not yet they were all ripped by dbpoweramp the same way.
    Is there a parameter in dbpoweramp that adds the track number to the file name that somehow got turned off ?

It looks like I either have to add the prefix manually to those affected files or re-rip the discs and have dbpoweramp do it for me if it can..Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you all

Administrator

The default naming string always includes track number at the beginning of the filename, check you are using the default naming string.

dBpoweramp Guru

I checked more files. It seems that those in track sequence have a track number as the first two characters in the track name.
    Some file have it others do not yet they were all ripped by dbpoweramp the same way.
    Is there a parameter in dbpoweramp that adds the track number to the file name that somehow got turned off ?
    Please post your Naming string in this thread.