title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Request for Enhancement - Rip as 1 improvements for audio book CDs

Request for Enhancement - Rip as 1 improvements for audio book CDs

Dear Spoon,

This seems to have been requested a number of times over the years - I'd love to have the ability to combine consecutive groups of tracks into ripped tracks when ripping. (not just one group of tracks at a time as currently in Rip as 1.)

This is easily achievable in iTunes (cough) and is of particular use when ripping audiobook CDs which have been split into short tracks.

For example a CD might have Chapter 1 starting at track 1 and ending at track 8, chapter 2 can be 9-13, chapter 3 14-18, and chapter 4 19-21.

In iTunes you can highlight tracks 1-8 and select "join CD Tracks" from the settings menu. You can then do the same for 9-13, 14-18 and 19-21, and only then hit the rip button and it will combine the relevant tracks and rip each chapter into a separate file. iTunes also concertinas the original track names into one long ID3 tag for the title.

This is the only thing I still have to use iTunes for and I'd love this ability to be incorporated into db CD Ripper.

Thanks for your time, WM

Administrator

Re: Request for Enhancement - Rip as 1 improvements for audio book CDs

We can perhaps look at this for R17

Thumbs up Re: Request for Enhancement - Rip as 1 improvements for audio book CDs

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    That would be great. I'd be happy to provide a visual guide to how iTunes does this if it would be helpful. For once it's a simple and straightforward process, once you find where they've hidden the option!

Also happy to beta test this as and when required.

Let me know.

Many thanks,

WM

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Please, I bought it thinking this was one of the features.

as wondermouse stated "happy to beta this"

Just throwing in my support for this request. I usually just throw my songs on shuffle all, because I obviously like all my music, but some tracks are just meant to be played together. This is where joining tracks into one is beneficial. Even if we could just set the start and end time in the "rip as one" feature by clicking on the track names, that would be a decent quality of life improvement.

Edit: I am an idiot. I just realized that there is snapping on the track bar. I just didn't notice the snapping when I was first trying to slide the start and end time.
    Last edited by EricSV; 11-19-2017 at 09:41 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

What I would love to see is a tag where a yes or "1" would indicate "play the track before this (track number for that album) before playing this track" and a second tag where a yes or "1" would indicate "play the track following this before playing anything else". This would be useful for playing classical CDs in random track mode, also for CDs where the spoken introduction is a separate track from the music that follows. I, and I suspect quite a few others, play music in the car in "random choice" mode, and these cases and a few similar others are more than a little annoying, I like random, but not too random... If this worked, if you let us say, told the player to play the fifth movement of a symphony, it would ratchet back to the first movement and then play all the tracks to the last movement. Of course, if you only wanted to hear the fifth movement, you'd need some means to turn this "feature" on or off.

Another "missing" tag is one telling the player to insert "X" seconds of silence after playing a particular track. This plus gapless playing would allow the user to reinsert the two or three (or whatever) seconds of pause time between tracks where wanted.

Now the likelihood of this being implemented is zero to none, because it depends on the rippers and metadata database maintainers on one hand, and on servers and control points on the other hand, to support it. There is a chicken and egg issue, and given the current state of the music industry, I don't have too much hope for any progress in the user experience.