title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: PerfectTUNES OSX Discussions

Administrator

PerfectTUNES OSX Discussions

PerfectTUNES discussion

Re: PerfectTUNES OSX Discussions

Hello,

Thank you for developing a OS X version.

In my testing, I only found a very minor issue:

In the Windows version, it says "Listening to Library" then "Checking with AccurateRip"

In the OS X version, it says "Listening To Library" then "Scanning Albums"

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for developing a macOS version - would love to avoid using a virtual machine after ripping to utilize PerfectTUNES.

After scanning my library with the beta I have compiled a list of observations thus far.

1) Unlike the Windows version it would appear there is just one icon so you can't seemingly run say CD Checker and Album art at sometime. I am sure this is intentional but just noticing difference.

2) The windows don't remember size or position across the app that I have seen.

3) It would appear that the macOS version reads DSD files unlike base Windows version but only the ID Tags portion. For example I don't see covers of .dsf files in Album Art.

4) When looking at Album Art if an album has a long title spacing is poor and bumped right up against the size/track info. See screenshot.

Covers Title Length.png

5) When using ID Tags editor if you make a change there is no indicator that tags are being written that I can tell.

6) When using ID Tags editor->List & Recommendations->Composes I noticed a large number of composers with / between files with multiple composers being suggested to replace / with ;. I like the recommendation and normally do that but what I find odd is PerfectTUNES on Windows either V2.1 or V3 beta doesn't find these or recommend them like the macOS version.

7) If you click the ellipsis to see the file names of the particular entries once you close that dialog the toolbar to allow navigation and further edition is now missing. See screenshot.

After Ellipsis.jpg

8) Found a file where ID Tags shows two other artists with a recommendation to remove a space in front of name only I don't see either artist in the metadata for the song whatsoever. After further inspecting this individual song there were three artists for the song and there was two spaces in front of the first artist and a space after the semi-colon before the third artists. I have corrected this file but a consistency issue it would appear. Again PerfectTUNES on Windows doesn't flag this. See two screenshots.

Bug In Metadata.png
    Files with Apparent Bug.png

I look forward to continuing to test and help improve before release.

Thanks,
    Carlin Smith
    Last edited by SirAtilla; 10-22-2017 at 09:04 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Another oddity.

the MacOS version of PerfectTUNES displays a large number of composers, artists, etc that it suggests combining the delimiter / for entries with multiple versions into a version with ; delimiter (at least visually in UI).

If you look at first picture see how the MacOS version shows the composer for the first song on the Carrie Underwood album and this composer is in list of recommendations.

macOS PerfectTUNES.jpg

If you look at second picture of the Windows version of the same file it shows the composer already in the format that the MacOS version is suggesting and according this composer is not in the recommended list for any change.

Windows PerfectTUNES.jpg

I will wait for reactions to my two notes before continuing further extensive testing.

Thanks
    Carlin Smith

Super Moderator

Thanks for your feedback. Most of the reported issues have been addressed in beta2.

Regarding wrongly shown composers and delimiter inconsistencies -
    I understand that this happens with M4A files. Where are they sourced from?
    It would be most helpful if you could email a sample file to peter@dbpoweramp.com for analysis.

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Thanks for your feedback. Most of the reported issues have been addressed in beta2.

It would be most helpful if you could email a sample file to peter@dbpoweramp.com for analysis.

Thanks.
    If you mean sourced how they were created? - most are from rips from CDs with dbpoweramp. Some are hi-res downloads from ProStudio Masters or AcousticSounds. I will email the Carrie Underwood m4a that I showed in the screen shots.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks.
    I submitted two files and screenshots. One additional piece of information is I converted two files to FLAC and read them and the same anomalies existed with the FLAC format.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the files.

The problem is being looked into.

Super Moderator

Beta 3 posted.

It came to our attention that:
    On Windows, M4A multi value tag reading in PerfectTUNES depends on codec options set by your local dBpoweramp installation, but the options cannot be changed within PerfectTUNES itself.
    On Mac, this isn't the case (the settings are stored separately), so I added a new page under ID Tags configuration to set codec specific options - you'll want the last option (as single tag '/' separated) to perceive slash separated artists as separate artists.

More bug fixes coming soon.
    Last edited by PeterP; 10-31-2017 at 06:55 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks this has addressed much of what I see. After re-scanning the libraries and setting the options for M4A it has cleared up the duplicates in Artists, Album Artists, and Composers.

I see a few anomalies left in the composer list.

First this suggestion:

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 3.33.54 PM.png

Is a good one but I want to point to the Windows version doesn't make this suggestion.

The next two are what seems like bad suggestions - insert spaces in composer names - checking various sources the names are punctuated correctly and the suggestion is wrong. The windows version doesn't make this suggestion.

bad suggest 1.png
    bad suggest 2.png

And the last two recommendations I don't see these composers in the files referenced at all so a little puzzling.

don't see composer in file 1.png
    don't see composer in file 2.png

Thank you for the continued diligence.

Kind regards,
    Carlin Smith

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

A new error I just noticed in the Album Art module. I have Album Art configured to a maximum size of 1000x1000 and 500KB. Today I used the macOS version for the first time to change art and when I chose a new cover that was over 1000x1000 it wrote the changes but after writing showed the album at over the 1000 pixel size. In reality it wrote properly a scaled 1000x1000 version just the display was not updated until I closed Album Art and re-launched it.

Thanks,
    Carlin Smith

Super Moderator

Thanks for all your bug reports. This has been most interesting.

Beta 4 has been posted, hopefully addressing all the issues.

Regarding suggestions behaviors-
    In all the offending cases, there were multiple found values that the internal rating algorithm deemed equally good; it picked the first found one as the suggested value - which resulted in different behavior across mac/win as the recommended value depended on order in which your files were originally indexed.
    I changed the algorithm to check which version of the value occurs in more of your files and assume that the more common one is correct, so one-time typos should no longer become recommended values. If this works well, we'll do the same in the Windows version of PerfectTUNES.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for all your bug reports. This has been most interesting.

Beta 4 has been posted, hopefully addressing all the issues.

Regarding suggestions behaviors-
    In all the offending cases, there were multiple found values that the internal rating algorithm deemed equally good; it picked the first found one as the suggested value - which resulted in different behavior across mac/win as the recommended value depended on order in which your files were originally indexed.
    I changed the algorithm to check which version of the value occurs in more of your files and assume that the more common one is correct, so one-time typos should no longer become recommended values. If this works well, we'll do the same in the Windows version of PerfectTUNES.
    So far everything looks good. I think the changed you described for the rating algorithm makes more sense.

A last good comparison is if I could export the composers, artists, and album artists from both the Windows and macOS version and then run them through a diff in my text editor. I have far too many albums to do this manually. Anyway to do that?

Thanks,
    Carlin Smith

Many Thanks for developing this for MacOS , it was really missed . Running fairly smoothly here so far

~M~

Would it be possible to have the Export button work like it does in Windows?

In Windows, when you click on it, it opens the text file in Notepad.

In Mac OS, when you click on it, it prompts you to save it. It would be nice if it would automatically open in TextEdit.