title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to apply replay gain while converting mp3 speech files to opus

how to apply replay gain while converting mp3 speech files to opus

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have some mp3 files which are speeches given by someone. These files are recorded at 64 kbps and sample rate from 32000hz and 40000hz. These mp3 files are at very low volume.

I want to convert these files into opus.Previously I have converted these files successfully into opus using db power amp batch converter. I have converted using 16 kbps bitrate, channel's set to 1 ie., mono and resampling set to 48000hz.When I listened the converted file's audio quality is good but volume is very low.

Someone suggested to apply replay gain directly to mp3 files and then convert to opus.

Which is best between applying replay gain to mp3 files directly after that converting to opus or applying replay gain while transcoding process.

I want to apply replay gain for each file say 10 db individually not to album.

Please suggest how to apply replay gain to mp3 files and store replay gain information in them permanently. Are there any specialized tools for changing volume if so can you suggest which is the best.

Regards,
    Rupesh.
    Last edited by rupeshforu3; 10-14-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Administrator

Re: how to apply replay gain while converting mp3 speech files to opus

dBpoweramp cannot change the mp3 files to apply gain, it can write ID tags which a compatible player can use, or you are able to include the DSP effect 'Volume Normalize' which is set to 'EBU128 normalization' when converting to opus.

Is there any tool which modifies the volume of mp3 file's permanently. First I will try to normalize source mp3 files and then convert to opus by using db power amp.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rupeshforu3 View Post
    Is there any tool which modifies the volume of mp3 file's permanently. First I will try to normalize source mp3 files and then convert to opus by using db power amp.
    Yes. In dbpa use the utility dsp ReplayGain(apply). See codec central at top of page for link.

spoon has suggested that by using db power amp it is not possible to change replay gain to mp3 files permanently I mean not storing meta data in mp3 file but creating new file.

dBpoweramp Guru

spoon has suggested that by using db power amp it is not possible to change replay gain to mp3 files permanently I mean not storing meta data in mp3 file but creating new file.
    I assume you are misinterpreting spoon. That is in fact the purpose of the dsp replayGain(apply). Have you read the description of that dsp?
    edit. Or use the dsp called volume normalize. I think spoon is misunderstanding your question.
    Last edited by garym; 10-15-2017 at 12:44 AM.

Actually others suggested to first apply replay gain to mp3 files and then convert to opus and they have also recommend mp3 gain to normalize mp3 files.

I am highlighting what spoon suggested below
    dBpoweramp cannot change the mp3 files to apply gain, it can write ID tags

dBpoweramp Guru

Actually others suggested to first apply replay gain to mp3 files and then convert to opus and they have also recommend mp3 gain to normalize mp3 files.

I am highlighting what spoon suggested below
    dBpoweramp cannot change the mp3 files to apply gain, it can write ID tags
    I saw that but it confuses me. One can use replaygain (apply) or volume normalize dsp in dbpa. Add one of those dsps when converting the files to MP3 and test it for yourself. Or just use the program mp3gain. It will modify the MP3 files audio to normalize volume. This certainly used to be true. I am not in front of computer to check.

For example here is an older reference.
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...ayGain-(Apply)

last post by spoon says:

The apply changes the audio, the normal non-apply stores the RG value in a tag, for the player to adjust.

See also
    https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,83563.0.html
    Last edited by garym; 10-15-2017 at 08:22 AM.

I have used replay gain DSP in dbpa and it is taking lot of time for converting a single file approximately one hour for single mp3 file. When I remove the replay gain DSP the conversion process is taking very less time ie., with in few seconds. I don't know why it is taking that much time. First I configured replay gain DSP for whole album as it is taking much time I reconfigured this DSP to each file and even no use it is taking same time.

Many people suggested to apply replay gain for mp3 files directly and then convert into opus and also suggested not to modify the file in the form of meta deta but change the original volume.

Can you suggest any tutorial or book about replay gain so that I can understand it. May I know which is the best software or tool for applying replay gain to mp3 files.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have used replay gain DSP in dbpa and it is taking lot of time for converting a single file approximately one hour for single mp3 file. When I remove the replay gain DSP the conversion process is taking very less time ie., with in few seconds. I don't know why it is taking that much time. First I configured replay gain DSP for whole album as it is taking much time I reconfigured this DSP to each file and even no use it is taking same time.

Many people suggested to apply replay gain for mp3 files directly and then convert into opus and also suggested not to modify the file in the form of meta deta but change the original volume.

Can you suggest any tutorial or book about replay gain so that I can understand it. May I know which is the best software or tool for applying replay gain to mp3 files.
    Hmmm. Odd that something would take that long. Something seems wrong. First try to add replaygain tags to an albums worth of tracks. Then in a separate step convert with replaygain(apply) dsp.

For more info I would google
    dbpoweramp mp3 replaygain(apply)
    and
    dbpoweramp mp3 volume normalize

Is it possible to apply replay gain to mp3 files in dbpa as mp3gain does

dBpoweramp Guru

dBpa can apply replay gain. If it is the same way like mp3gain it does, I can't answer as I don't use mp3gain. Why don't you try it?

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    dBpa can apply replay gain. If it is the same way like mp3gain it does, I can't answer as I don't use mp3gain. Why don't you try it?

Dat Ei
    I haven&*8217;t used mp3gain. Bit I&*8217;ve read that it has a way of reversing the volume adjustment. Replaygain (apply) is permanent and can&*8217;t be reversed.

Volume normalize adaptive ebu DSP is working properly.

May I know how to raise the volume of the opus file's during conversion and also how to maintain same volume through our the file I mean not having peak volume at one point and low at some other point. May I know whether DSPs in dbpa create opus file's by applying replay gain in the form of meta data or not.

In order to produce good opus files can we use other DSPs like replay gain (apply), replay gain, graphic equalizer with volume normalize DSP. Is there any necessity to do so or volume normalize is enough.

Administrator

Using Volume normalize with ebu is the same as doing a replaygain calculation, then replaygain apply, it is fully automatic.