title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Hi.

(There area couple of typos in my above post I just noticed!).

I am thinking that the two possible solutions here would be to either completely lose the word 'The' and catalogue ARTIST SORT as: 'Williams, Tony, Lifetime'; or else include the word 'The' and place it at the end (ie. ARTIST SORT = 'Tony Williams Lifetime, The')?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-09-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I have another ARTIST (Band) I am tagging containing similar data: 'The Tony Williams Lifetime'. [-snip-]

Why TW used the word 'The' seems a bit pointless and less attractive to me than simply calling the outfit 'Tony Williams Lifetime'. Maybe it was because it was because his surname would need to be Williams's which caused them to prefer the word 'The'?
    I think it was the hip thing back then, just as with The Jeff Lorber Fusion.

In 'dBpa' it appears, by default, as: 'Williams, Tony, Lifetime, The'; but I don't think you would agree with this format.
    I, personally, would use Tony Williams Lifetime if I had CDs under his name only (which for me would list as Tony Williams), or The Tony Williams Lifetime if I didn't.

I don't so much disagree with the dBpa format, which will do what you need when sorting by surname. I just find it difficult to decipher at a glance.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I think it was the hip thing back then, just as with The Jeff Lorber Fusion.

I, personally, would use Tony Williams Lifetime if I had CDs under his name only (which for me would list as Tony Williams), or The Tony Williams Lifetime if I didn't.

I don't so much disagree with the dBpa format, which will do what you need when sorting by surname. I just find it difficult to decipher at a glance.
    Hi JH,

Thanks a lot.

I have settled for (dropping the 'The'): 'Tony Williams Lifetime' / 'Williams, Tony, Lifetime'. I think that should work OK.

The 'dBpa. default is OK when the name/artist is 'John Smith'. But when you have (say) 'Duke Ellington And His Orchestra', then things can, understandably, get a little muddled. But of course nobody would ever expect the s/w to be 100% correct every time as different users prefer different listings!

This ripping malarkey is a big job! It's never ending ...

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-09-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I am thinking that the two possible solutions here would be to either completely lose the word 'The' and catalogue ARTIST SORT as: 'Williams, Tony, Lifetime'; or else include the word 'The' and place it at the end (ie. ARTIST SORT = 'Tony Williams Lifetime, The')?
    If you want to sort by surname, it has to come first. A Williams, Tony, Lifetime tag would work fine; adding The at the end is superfluous, as it doesn't change the sort order.

If I were to start using sort tags, I would seriously consider using <last name, first name> followed by a number. Jeff Lorber would be sort-tagged as Lorber, Jeff 01; The Jeff Lorber Fusion as Lorber, Jeff 02; and Jeff Lorber Fusion as Lorber, Jeff 03. It would put the first several 'Fusion' releases (beginning with 'The') before the later ones and save me a lot of head-scratching.

I could also use this method to sort two [or more] albums released in the same year with titles don't sort the same alphabetically as they do chronologically; that's the drawback to not using full release dates.

dBpoweramp Guru

The 'dBpa' default is OK when the name/artist is 'John Smith'. But when you have (say) 'Duke Ellington And His Orchestra', then things can, understandably, get a little muddled.
    Ellington, Duke, And His Orchestra

This ripping malarkey is a big job! It's never ending ...
    It's a smaller job for me; I don't require so much information.

dBpoweramp Guru

Ellington, Duke, And His Orchestra

It's a smaller job for me; I don't require so much information.
    Cheers JH,

Well, I think I must be close to half way through now. I have ripped over 70GB (which probably seems a very small amount to you!).

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi there,

I have an Xmas Jazz CD which contains zero information regarding anything (other than the tunes!):

In which case, would you just write the track-titles and composer-names and leave everything else blank? I mean, I don't really think there is much else you can do here?

(Discogs site has included in the Genre tag: Country, Folk, World Music! lol.)

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-15-2017 at 06:56 PM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Guru

You're probably right. Put in what information you have, and add more when (if) you can find any.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi there,

I have an Xmas Jazz CD which contains zero information regarding anything (other than the tunes!):

In which case, would you just write the track-titles and composer-names and leave everything else blank? I mean, I don't really think there is much else you can do here?

(Discogs site has included in the Genre tag: Country, Folk, World Music! lol.)

Cheers,

Paul
    You could use Genre, Christmas.

Or perhaps, Jazz.

I'll admit to having Genre, Christmas. Very handy alongside the Genre, Party, I mentioned to you!

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

Meant to mention, if you enter anything in the Genre box, you'll end up with Unknown Genre, so easier to enter something, at the time of rip.
    Last edited by Oggy; 11-16-2017 at 03:34 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    You could use Genre, Christmas.

Or perhaps, Jazz.

I'll admit to having Genre, Christmas. Very handy alongside the Genre, Party, I mentioned to you!
    Hi Oggy,

Because I only have this solitary one Xmas CD, I am tempted to just whack in under Jazz Genre and Xmas Style.

The Genre folders I have to date are: Jazz, Prog. Rock, and Film Soundtrack.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

You're probably right. Put in what information you have, and add more when (if) you can find any.
    Hi JH,

The reason I ask is because where I have not been able to source the required data in the past, I have written in 'Unknown'. For instance:

Producer = Unknown

Composer = Unknown

But now I am thinking I might be better not stating this. I think it was Gary who said he does not type in 'Unknown' because 'Unknown' tells him nothing! In which case, if I leave a field (such as 'Producer') BLANK, then does this tag just get deleted during the ripping process (because there is no metadata in it)?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-16-2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I have a composer list in foobar2000. Any tracks without the composer tag are omitted from the list, but tracks with composer = unknown, appear under unknown, which I find quite useful.

... also, historically in some software, I found searching for tracks without certain tags problematic. That is, tracks were not returned if the tag was missing. As composer for me is quite important, I ended up with composer = unknown (and composersort = unknown).
    Last edited by mville; 11-16-2017 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added search issue

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I have a composer list in foobar2000. Any tracks without the composer tag are omitted from the list, but tracks with composer = unknown, appear under unknown, which I find quite useful.

... also, historically in some software, I found searching for tracks without certain tags problematic. That is, tracks were not returned if the tag was missing. As composer for me is quite important, I ended up with composer = unknown (and composersort = unknown).
    Nice one mville.

I was dreading having to make amendments to circa 80GB!

I do not use COMPOSERSORT.

I will make a rip and post a screenshot shortly ...

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I do not use COMPOSERSORT.
    Why not?

In addition to my comments earlier, during my tagging exploits, I discovered that for some tracks the composer is literally unknown. I am now able to distinguish between this and tracks where I have not added the composer (as composer does not exist).