title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    As you state, you can use a Y/N comment for COMPILATION.
    Not according to Gary, and I believe he's correct. I can use Edit ID-Tag to add a Compilation tag set to No--in fact, that's the only way I can add it, after which I can change it to Yes. This is part of a larger issue which I think has been addressed in the beta. In any event, the behavior is the same.

But I am not sure if this would work, or how it would work, for a self created VOCALS tag? I was thinking was possible, with COMPILATION, because such albums are placed in a dedicated folder of their own[.]
    Are you proposing dedicated folders for vocals and non-vocals albums? That would make albums harder to find in File Explorer (more places to look, although a foobar library search shouldn't have a problem), and each group would need to have its own Compilation sub-folder. For me, that's rather messy.

My use for a Vocals tag, should I implement it, will be to differentiate tracks, not albums. I have a fair number of albums with a mixture of vocal and instrumental tracks, and I'm not comfortable tagging those as either Vocals=Yes or Vocals=No. But I may want to be able to quickly find instrumental-only tracks.

(Incidentally, your Gary-supplied foobar setup is different to mine. The look isn't the same, and my compilation albums reside in a Various Artists folder. Options! )

Taking into consideration your kindly suggested AlbumHasVocals tag, then this might be a good solution for the latter-mentioned.
    I believe it's a useful alternative, whatever you name it. Adding it only to the tracks in albums with vocals would likely do the trick, as you then just search for the existence of the tag. Or make it a Y/N and add the tag to all tracks. The more expert members of the forum may have something to say about the advantages and disadvantages of each choice. I'll be watching!

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks Gary/JH,

I will have a think over the next few days ...

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Are you proposing dedicated folders for vocals and non-vocals albums? That would make albums harder to find in File Explorer (more places to look, although a foobar library search shouldn't have a problem), and each group would need to have its own Compilation sub-folder. For me, that's rather messy.

My use for a Vocals tag, should I implement it, will be to differentiate tracks, not albums. I have a fair number of albums with a mixture of vocal and instrumental tracks, and I'm not comfortable tagging those as either Vocals=Yes or Vocals=No. But I may want to be able to quickly find instrumental-only tracks.

I believe it's a useful alternative, whatever you name it. Adding it only to the tracks in albums with vocals would likely do the trick, as you then just search for the existence of the tag. Or make it a Y/N and add the tag to all tracks. The more expert members of the forum may have something to say about the advantages and disadvantages of each choice. I'll be watching!
    Hi JH,

Again, after much thinking and some testing out, I feel this is another tag I might actually be better without! It is not imperative and I am running into possible grounds of over-tagging.

As you say, folder-structure-wise, it's going to get messy.

I was intending to tag such albums which were predominantly VOCALS rather than single tracks. If I was to follow your own logic then it is going to be another long-winded task for me to compile alongside ripping my entire CD collection (albeit I am not saying that there is anything wrong with your suggested system).

Cheers,

Paul

Hello. i Have a problem. i want to change title for my files from oryinal file name using id tag procesing. how can i do it? i have a lot of files. i cant change title one by one

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Boss4001PL View Post
    Hello. i Have a problem. i want to change title for my files from oryinal file name using id tag procesing. how can i do it? i have a lot of files. i cant change title one by one
    it's probably best, if you create your own thread. In answer to your question, you can use the Arrange Audio utility codec.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    it's probably best, if you create your own thread. In answer to your question, you can use the Arrange Audio utility codec.
    i instaled but how to use this?

Starter-House-VOL-2-Screen-3-—-Odzyskano.jpg

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Boss4001PL View Post
    i instaled but how to use this?

Starter-House-VOL-2-Screen-3-—-Odzyskano.jpg
    That is the ID Tag Update utility codec, not the Arrange Audio utility codec.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi guys,

What would be the best way to ARTIST SORT the band: 'Blood, Sweat & Tears', please?

I have been using the naming scheme:

'Orchestra, Mahavishnu, The';

'Report, Weather'

'Davis, Miles'

for my rips to date.

Would it be: 'Tears, &, Sweat, Blood'?

I am not really sure about the commas or the 'and' symbol?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-01-2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

'Davis, Miles' is standard operating procedure, as you would find him in the 'D' section when looking for his works in a shop.

However, the others should be 'Mahavishnu Orchestra, The' and 'Weather Report'. You would expect those last two to be in the 'M' and 'W' bins, respectively.

In the same vein, 'Blood, Sweat & Tears' should be listed exactly that way.

dBpoweramp Guru

What would be the best way to ARTIST SORT the band: 'Blood, Sweat & Tears', please?

I have been using the naming scheme:
    'Orchestra, Mahavishnu, The';

'Report, Weather'

'Davis, Miles'

for my rips to date.
    I don't think you are understanding the use of Artist Sort. You have The Mahavishnu Orchestra sorted under O and Weather Report sorted under R. This does not make sense to me.

I agree with Jailhouse and would have:
    Artist = The Mahavishnu Orchestra
    Artist Sort = Mahavishnu Orchestra, The

Artist = Weather Report
    Artist Sort = Weather Report

Artist = Blood, Sweat & Tears
    Artist Sort = Blood, Sweat & Tears

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't think you are understanding the use of Artist Sort. You have The Mahavishnu Orchestra sorted under O and Weather Report sorted under R. This does not make sense to me.

Artist = Weather Report

You've made me so very happy, with this explanation, obviously agree.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    'Davis, Miles' is standard operating procedure, as you would find him in the 'D' section when looking for his works in a shop.

However, the others should be 'Mahavishnu Orchestra, The' and 'Weather Report'. You would expect those last two to be in the 'M' and 'W' bins, respectively.

In the same vein, 'Blood, Sweat & Tears' should be listed exactly that way.
    JH,

To be honest, it's been that long since I visited a record store to buy a CD than I forgot about how - ordering - they might be stacked. But thinking about it, I agree with your protocol, thanks.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Artist = Weather Report

Cheers Mville,

I have made those changes now.

But how, please, might you tag the ARTIST SORT for bands which include the leader's name alongside the size of the ensemble? For example:

Oscar Peterson Trio

Dave Brubeck Quartet

Miles Davis Quintet

Would it be:

Peterson, Oscar, Trio

Brubeck, Dave, Quartet

Davis, Miles, Quintet

Very much appreciated,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

From my point of view: while "Oscar Peterson" is a combination of a first and a last name and "Peterson, Oscar" is ok for a sort tag, "Oscar Peterson Trio" is a commonly used term in itself. But if you prefer to have "Oscar Peterson" in the near of his trio, quartet or whatever, why not the other way? It is your tagging!!! There are no standards except your own ones.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

how, please, might you tag the ARTIST SORT for bands which include the leader's name alongside the size of the ensemble? For example:

Oscar Peterson Trio

Dave Brubeck Quartet

Miles Davis Quintet

Would it be:

Peterson, Oscar, Trio

Brubeck, Dave, Quartet

Davis, Miles, Quintet
    It all depends on how YOU want these artists sorted.

If you want Oscar Peterson Trio to be sorted under O, then Artist Sort = Oscar Peterson Trio is ok.

If you want Oscar Peterson Trio to be sorted under P, then Artist Sort = Peterson, Oscar, Trio is ok.