title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    In the case of a multi-value tag e.g. Artist, the semi-colon is never stored in the data. It is used by software for display purposes only, to separate the individual artists.

Label is not a multi-value tag, so Label = Columbia; Legacy would result in a single data value, where the semi-colon is stored as part of the data.
    Cheers mville,

Thanks for confirming that.

Do you ever tag the: 'UPC' (Universal Product Code)?

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    use / or , as seperator. Do not need ; as not a multi value tag.
    ps. You can actually use anything you want. It is just text. You can use @ or & or $ or whatever.
    Great stuff, Cheers Gary.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    So, my choices would be to use a slash '/' symbol (forwards not backwards?), or else to drop the second entry (so 'ECM / Watt Works' becomes 'ECM').
    The forward slash is pretty much standard for this kind of thing, but if you like the backslash, use it. Another possibility is the pipe, e.g., Sony | Jazz Legends. As garym said, you can use anything you want; it boils down to what looks right to you.

There's no reason you can't use both single and double entries depending on the information available. It's your call.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    The forward slash is pretty much standard for this kind of thing, but if you like the backslash, use it. Another possibility is the pipe, e.g., Sony | Jazz Legends. As garym said, you can use anything you want; it boils down to what looks right to you.

There's no reason you can't use both single and double entries depending on the information available. It's your call.
    Hi JH,

I always wondered what that '|' line was called?! I have seen it before on occasion. Does it serves the same function - grammatically speaking - as the fwd-slash?

I don't really like the comma for this purpose. So it's a toss-up between the 'pipe' and the 'fwd-slash' I guess.

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-19-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I wanted to double-check on something, please, before making any adjustments to my files:

For instances where there is more than one PRODUCER, should I use:

PRODUCER = Bill Bruford / Jeff Berlin

or

PRODUCER = Bill Bruford; Jeff Berlin

Apologies for this being similar to my earlier Q.

Thanks in advance for any kind clarification.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-19-2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I always wondered what that '|' line was called?! I have seen it before on occasion. Does it serves the same function - grammatically speaking - as the fwd-slash?
    Grammatically, it's meaningless; I just like the way it looks. It's mainly used in math and computing. See this Wikipedia article.

dBpoweramp Guru

Grammatically, it's meaningless; I just like the way it looks. It's mainly used in math and computing. See this Wikipedia article.
    Thanks JH, I saw the paragraph where it is referred to as a 'pipe'. Cheers, Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

For me, this looks like a pallet stacked high with cans of worms. All this putting actual instruments in with band sizes seems unwieldy at least. Combining different kinds of data can become very confusing. If I were to tag instruments used and the makeup of the bands, I would do so separately, as I mentioned earlier.
    Hi JH,

Well, after a couple of weeks of testing out different INSTRUMENTS and BAND SIZES, I have decided that I am actually better off without them! The main issue was that their usage, in Foobar, turned out to be counter-productive. The scheme did not narrow down my searches as I had hoped. In fact it was confusing them!

And so, I pose a question which I feel may offer a halfway-house:

If I wanted to tag all albums which contained VOCALS, and to be able to differentiate between those that contained none, then could I create a tag that exclusively used a YES/NO factor? I am thinking - on every album - of creating a tag called: VOCALS, and then simply stating either YES or NO in the data field. I think it would be a little like COMPILATION in the way that you only have two choices?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-22-2017 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Well, after a couple of weeks of testing out different INSTRUMENTS and BAND SIZES, I have decided that I am actually better off without them!
    Ah, simplification. I smile.

If I wanted to tag all albums which contained VOCALS, and to be able to differentiate between those that contained none, then could I create a tag that exclusively used a YES/NO factor? I am thinking - on every album - of creating a tag called: VOCALS, and then simply stating either YES or NO in the data field. I think it would be a little like COMPILATION in the way that you only have two choices?
    I don't how you would limit the choices in a custom tag (I haven't needed one yet). If that's not possible, you would have to stick to your choices. With Y/N, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Incidentally, I would use Y and N rather than Yes and No; single letters are easier to type. Your taggage may vary.

Keep in mind that tags are track-based. The Compilation tag will be the same for all tracks on an album, which either is, or is not, a compilation. But if you're proposing tagging all tracks as Vocals=Yes on albums which also have instrumental-only tracks, you're risking confusion. I'm all for a Vocals track tag--I've toyed with using one myself--but if you want a tag to tell you whether an album does or does not have one or more vocal tracks, I advise a different tag name. AlbumHasVocals, perhaps.

On the other hand, it's your library, so as long as you know what a Vocals tag means in your context, who am I to argue?

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't how you would limit the choices in a custom tag (I haven't needed one yet). If that's not possible, you would have to stick to your choices. With Y/N, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Incidentally, I would use Y and N rather than Yes and No; single letters are easier to type. Your taggage may vary.

Keep in mind that tags are track-based. The Compilation tag will be the same for all tracks on an album, which either is, or is not, a compilation. But if you're proposing tagging all tracks as Vocals=Yes on albums which also have instrumental-only tracks, you're risking confusion. I'm all for a Vocals track tag--I've toyed with using one myself--but if you want a tag to tell you whether an album does or does not have one or more vocal tracks, I advise a different tag name. AlbumHasVocals, perhaps.
    Hi JH,

Regarding the COMPILATION tag, this is how it (ie. my two comp. albums) appears in Foobar:

As you state, you can use a Y/N comment for COMPILATION. But I am not sure if this would work, or how it would work, for a self created VOCALS tag? I was thinking was possible, with COMPILATION, because such albums are placed in a dedicated folder of their own:

Taking into consideration your kindly suggested AlbumHasVocals tag, then this might be a good solution for the latter-mentioned.

Many thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi JH,

Regarding the COMPILATION tag, this is how it (ie. my two comp. albums) appears in Foobar:

As you state, you can use a Y/N comment for COMPILATION. But I am not sure if this would work, or how it would work, for a self created VOCALS tag? I was thinking was possible, with COMPILATION, because such albums are placed in a dedicated folder of their own:

Taking into consideration your kindly suggested AlbumHasVocals tag, then this might be a good solution for the latter-mentioned.

Many thanks,

Paul
    COMPILATION tag should not have yes,no or Y/N. It should have a value of either 1, or the tag should not exist at all. Paul, you may be confused because the Foobar2000 setup I gave you displays a YES or NO in the compilation column. But this is just how I set up foobar2000 to read the "1' in the COMPILATION tag. If it sees the value of 1, it assigns YES to the track/album. Otherwise it assigns NO. This is all related to a setting within foobar2000 and has nothing to do with the tag itself.

dBpoweramp Guru

COMPILATION tag should not have yes,no or Y/N. It should have a value of either 1, or the tag should not exist at all. Paul, you may be confused because the Foobar2000 setup I gave you displays a YES or NO in the compilation column. But this is just how I set up foobar2000 to read the "1' in the COMPILATION tag. If it sees the value of 1, it assigns YES to the track/album. Otherwise it assigns NO. This is all related to a setting within foobar2000 and has nothing to do with the tag itself.
    Hi Gary,

OK, thanks a lot for explaining Foobar.

Regarding 'dBpa', YES (wording) appears alongside the COMPILATION tag when the album has been categorised as being a 'compilation'; as per (eg.) 'Stan Getz & Colleagues':

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-23-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Gary,

OK, thanks a lot for explaining Foobar.

Regarding 'dBpa', YES (wording) appears alongside the COMPILATION tag when the album has been categorised as being a 'compilation'; as per (eg.) 'Stan Getz & Colleagues':

Cheers,

Paul
    Correct, but the *value* in that COMPILATION tag is just a "1". the tag editor is interpreting that to report YES.

dBpoweramp Guru

Correct, but the *value* in that COMPILATION tag is just a "1". the tag editor is interpreting that to report YES.
    Cheers Gary, What do you think the best approach might be in creating a tag for VOCALS then, please? Would you follow Jailhouse's kind suggestion? And would it involve 'tweaking' any settings within Foobar? Thanks, Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Cheers Gary, What do you think the best approach might be in creating a tag for VOCALS then, please? Would you follow Jailhouse's kind suggestion? And would it involve 'tweaking' any settings within Foobar? Thanks, Paul
    nothing I'd tweak in foobar. Personally, I use the genre "Jazz Vocal" if any of the tracks on an album have vocals (and are jazz). But I'm not doing near the detailed tagging you are. Maybe you could add vocal as one of the styles.