title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    New folks at this forum, just starting the ripping journey, think the hard part is the actual bit perfect ripping. Turns out that's the mechanical part. Metadata....that's the hard part.
    Garym,

You can include ME in that statement!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
    I think most of us have inconsistencies that we find and correct for the tags we are using. For the tags that you want to delete as long as you aren't displaying or using them, you won't see them so do the inconsistencies matter? My concern is if in the future you want to start using one of the sort tags again, you'll just have to correct the inconsistencies and not reenter the data for all of your files. I can also understand your desire to get rid of what you're not using. Just remember to have one or two backups before you start the deletions.
    Gary,

It is reassuring to hear that other folk have experienced similar gripes to myself.

The thought of "reentering" SORT data at a later stage is simply out of the question!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    And, yes, no matter how careful I am, my metadata is riddled with errors and inconsistencies. Metadata is the bane of my life. Some day, after I get those last few hundred CDs reripped, I'll try using Perfectunes to clean it up.
    Hi schmidj,

I am really surprised at how many typos I made because as far as I was aware I was being extremely methodical. However, as mentioned, some days I did 4 hours straight (which is not good on the eyes or concentration!).

I can't even remember the last time I ran Perfectunes?!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Thumbs down Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Here is a classic example of something I thought was a great idea at the time, but have come to live to regret it of recent!

For artists who have a popular nickname I included it in inverted-commas. It's ended up, as you would expect (such as in the case of: "Chick" Corea; "Duke" Ellington; "Count" Basie), placing such artists outside of the alphabet's linear-order (ie. either at the top, or bottom, of the entire library list).

In any event, one of my future, laborious, tasks is to remove these...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MWE...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-18-2020 at 03:48 PM. Reason: image link

dBpoweramp Guru

I thought you were using SORT tags,

dBpoweramp Guru

I thought you were using SORT tags,
    Hi Garym,

Well YES ;-)

But, call me an idiot!, as I used "Chick" Corea and "Duke" Ellington WITH quotation-marks in the SORT fields.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Garym,

Well YES ;-)

But, call me an idiot!, as I used "Chick" Corea and "Duke" Ellington WITH quotation-marks in the SORT fields.

Paul

I don't personally use sort tags, but it seems you would put Corea, "Chick" and Ellington, "Duke" in your ALBUMARTISTSORT tag.

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't personally use sort tags, but it seems you would put Corea, "Chick" and Ellington, "Duke" in your ALBUMARTISTSORT tag.
    Hi Gary,

Please see (sorry it's blurry!) dodgey screen-grab. I am sure I have tagged Corea's name as per advised a couple of years ago?

PaulChick.png

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Gary,

Please see (sorry it's blurry!) dodgey screen-grab. I am sure I have tagged Corea's name as per advised a couple of years ago?
    Hmmm, your sort tags are correct. So it is not the tagging. It must be that your music server/player doesn't make use of these sort tags when listing your artists in alphabetical order.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hmmm, your sort tags are correct. So it is not the tagging. It must be that your music server/player doesn't make use of these sort tags when listing your artists in alphabetical order.
    Hi Garym - I use 3 playback devices: Sony Walkman, Amazon Fire, and Windows 10 Dell laptop. The latter two via Foobar s/w.

dBpoweramp Guru

In which player are you having the sort issue?

If you are using foobar on the Amazon Fire and the Windows 10 laptop, check you have configured foobar correctly, i.e. to sort, using the the sort tags.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post

If you are using foobar on the Amazon Fire and the Windows 10 laptop, check you have configured foobar correctly, i.e. to sort, using the the sort tags.

Exactly, foobar2000 can certainly be setup to sort artists using your sort tags. I have no clue re: fire or walkman.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Smile Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Hi Gary,

PaulChick.png
    I use the Sort tags for iTunes, and Foobar on my Android phone. Also for Android, GoneMad (GMMP) has implemented the use of sort tags now as well (all but for Title for now) and it works great.

I try to eliminate anything in the sort tags that is irrelevant. So I would simply show Corea, Chick and get rid of the quotes. Same for things like brackets, this makes it more consistent regardless of the tag to make sure they group together. It work for my library, currently around 25k songs.

And for the record, I too am pretty diligent with my tags, have been since I started ripping my CD library around 2002 or so. And yet there are still titles that pop up when I shuffle the deck that I need to go back and find. Doubt I'll ever really be done!

dBpoweramp Guru

Angry Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Exactly, foobar2000 can certainly be setup to sort artists using your sort tags. I have no clue re: fire or walkman.
    There is a crappy Sony s/w Music Manager you can d/l to manage your music files, but it is awful and everyone complains about it! Hence I uninstalled it!
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-20-2020 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post

I am having the SORT issues on all 3 players.

Foobar is installed on my PC and Amazon Fire.

With the Sony Walkman, I just copied everything (from my PC) onto an SD-card and whacked it in! The only way you can manipulate the files, or similar, is by d/l Sony's dreadful s/w - which nobody uses.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-20-2020 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling