title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Lightbulb Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Hi Theleb,

I am glad you found my uploads useful. I always believe in trying to make this forum a helpful and friendly place, if you know what I mean.

As a novice who has been ripping and using 'dBpa' for 14 months, I would say you definitely need to keep an open mind. By this I mean you will change your mind about things (for the BETTER!) as you go along. Yes, it will mean back-tracking on your rips and making edits, but this fine-tuning is what makes your rips personal and most suited to your needs. There are things (tagging data) I have used which many members have disagreed with, but I am very happy with them. And there is advice which I chose to no take but regretted it later (like using: Ludwig von-Beethoven instead of Ludwig-von Beethoven).

The thing is, you will actually learn a LOT about your CD collection as you go along; things you never realized before! Now I am very particular about: release-years, studios, producers, etc.

The main thing I learned on here is that nothing is set-in-stone as you can always go back and change it later!

Here is a screenshot for you which reflects the answer you are seeking:

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-27-2018 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Link

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

btw - leave your CLASSICALS until last as they are by far the most difficult!

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Theleb,

The most important part of ripping your CDs, is to get an AccurateRip in a lossless format, as from that you can edit your tags to anything you want. However, if you have a clear idea of how you want your personal library to look and know what tags your player and app can use, then you can save a lot of editing time by using tags such as Artist Sort and Album Artist Sort, pre rip.

When I talk about artists, I would say Jeff Beck and The Who, so after trying Beck, Jeff and Who, The and realising it wasn't for me and as the player and app I used makes use of Sort Tags, I changed my mind.

Some players and apps can be set to ignore "The", others don't. I would simply suggest having a play before ripping dozens of CDs.

If your player or apps handle sort tags, then why not give them a go?

Some things like Ludwig van Beethoven is different. I would never ask anyone if they enjoyed a symphony by Beethoven, Ludwig van or van Beethoven, Ludwig, so use Ludwig van Beethoven. Through this thread I have learnt that his surname wasn't Beethoven, but van Beethoven, so now know that even though sorting by Beethoven, Ludwig van, is technically wrong, as it is my personal library, I can live with that: Paul has chosen not to. If you make decisions like that up front and they work on your player / app to your expectations, then far less post editing is necessary. Many aspects are purely personal preference, but if you can achieve your personal preference with less work, all the better.
    Last edited by Oggy; 09-29-2018 at 05:53 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Also, don't forget that many tags allow multiple values, so you can put in "Beethoven" and "Ludwig..." both in as the composer with a semicolon between them (in dBPA) and both entries will show up in a search.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Hi,

I have ripped the J.S. Bach CD: "Brandenburg Concertos", conducted by Christopher Hogwood, and performed by the 'Academy Of Ancient Music'. It was released on 'L'Oiseau-Lyre' label and the CD no. is '455 700-2':

Would the compositions: 'Concerto for 2 harpsichords in C minor (BWV 1062)'; 'Concerto For 3 Violins In D Major (BWV 1064)'; and 'Brandenburg Concerto for oboe and violin in C Minor (BWV 1060)' be classed as BRANDENBURG Concertos, please? I mean, they appear on the CD which is entitled so, and stylistically they sound of the same idiom.

For example, I have tagged CD-1 using the format:

'Brandenburg Concerto No.6 in B flat major (BWV 1051)'

And so I would like to seek clarification if it would be correct for me to tag CD-2, similarly, as (eg.):

'Brandenburg Concerto for oboe and violin in C Minor (BWV 1060)'

or if it should be:

'Concerto for oboe and violin in C Minor (BWV 1060)'

Many thanks in advance once again,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Above 'Concertos' for: violin; harpsichords; oboe are NOT part of the 'Brandenburgs'.

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

The Brandenburg Concertos include the six Concertos BWV 1046-1051.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    The Brandenburg Concertos include the six Concertos BWV 1046-1051.
    Cheers. I was a bit confused as the CD is called 'Brandenburg Concertos' but had other concertos on also! Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I am finally facing-up the the daunting task of ripping my classical large-scale works!

I have just tagged Bach's: "St. Matthew Passion":

I was thinking of maybe stating the track titles in English (rather than the default German). But - as I do not speak German - I am not confident in sourcing such a reliable translation of the entire 78 tracks.

I usually state both the native language and the English translation (in parenthesis for the latter) on such CDs. But for this particular work I would run out of characters because the titles are already rather long!

Does anyone have a translation of the tracks, or maybe able to post a LINK to such a resource, please?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-12-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

Not perfect, but you mean something like this?

1. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I : No. 1 - 'Come, Ye Daughters'
    2. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 2 - 'When Jesus Had Finished' (Recitative: Evangelist, Jesus)
    3. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 3 - 'O Blessed Jesu'
    4. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 4 - 'Then Assembled The Chief Priests' (Recitative: Evangelist)
    5. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 5 - 'Not Upon The Feast'
    6. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 13 - 'Now On The First Day' (Recitative: Evangelist)
    7. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 14 - 'Where Wilt Thou'
    8. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 15 - 'He Said: Go Ye Into The City' (Recitative: Evangelist, Jesus)
    9. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 15 - 'Lord, Is It I?'
    10. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 16 - 'Tis I Who Should Be Sharing'
    11. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 17 - 'He Answered Them, And Said' (Recitative: Evangelist, Jesus)
    12. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 18 - 'Although My Heart And Eyes O'erflow' (Accompanied Recitative: Soprano)
    13. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 19 - 'Lord, To Thee My Heart I Proffer' (Aria: Soprano)
    14. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 20 - 'And When They Had Sung' (Recitative: Evangelist, Jesus)
    15. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 21 - 'Acknowledge Me, My Keeper'
    16. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 22 - 'Then Answered Peter' (Recitative: Evangelist, Peter, Jesus)
    17. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 23 - 'Near Thee I Would Be Staying'
    18. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 24 - 'Then Cometh Jesus With Them' (Recitative: Evangelist, Jesus)
    19. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 25 - 'O Grief, How Throbs' (Accompanied Recitative: Tenor)
    20. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 26 - 'I Would Beside My Lord Be Watching' (Aria: Tenor)
    21. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 27 - 'And He Went A Little Farther' (Recitative: Evangelist, Jesus)
    22. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 28 - 'The Saviour, Low Before His Father Bending' (Accompanied Recitative: Bass)
    23. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 29 - 'Gladly Would I Be Enduring' ((Aria: Bass)
    24. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 30 - 'And He Came To His Disciples' (Recitative: Evangelist, Jesus)
    25. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 31 - 'The Will Of God Be Alway Done'
    26. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 32 - 'And He Came Again' (Recitative: Evangelist, Jesus, Judas)
    27. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 33 - 'Behold, My Saviour Now Is Taken' (Duet: Soprano And Alto)
    28. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 34 - 'And Behold, One Of Them' (Recitative: Evangelist, Jesus)
    29. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 35 - 'O Man, Bewail Thy Grievous Sin!'
    30. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 36 - 'Ah! Now Is My Saviour Gone'
    31. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 37 - 'And They That Laid Hold On Jesus' (Recitative: Evangelist, 1st And 2nd Maids, Peter)
    32. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 46 - 'Truly, Thou Also Art One Of Them'
    33. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 46 - 'And Then Did He Begin To Curse And To Swear' (Recitative: Evangelist, Peter)

1. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 47 - 'Have Pity, Lord, On Me'
    2. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 53 - 'Whate'er May Vex Or Grieve Thee'
    3. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 54 - 'Now At That Feast' (Recitative: Evangelist, Pilate)
    4. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 54 - 'Barabbas!'
    5. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 54 - 'Then Pilate Said To Them' (Recitative: Evangelist, Pilate)
    6. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 54 - 'Let Him Be Crucified'
    7. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 56 - 'The Governor Answered' (Recitative: Evangelist, Pilate)
    8. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 57 - 'To All Men Jesu Good Hath Done' (Accompanied Recitative: Soprano)
    9. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 58 - 'In Love My Saviour Now Is Dying' (Aria: Soprano)
    10. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 59 - 'But They Cried Out The More' (Recitative: Evangelist)
    11. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 59 - 'Let Him Be Crucified'
    12. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 59 - 'Then Released He Barabbas' (Recitative: Evangelist)
    13. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 60 - 'O Gracious God'
    14. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 62 - 'And Then Did The Soldiers Of The Governor' (Recitative: Evangelist)
    15. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 62 - 'We Hail Thee, King Of The Jews'
    16. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 62 - 'And Then They Spat On Him' (Recitative: Evangelist)
    17. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 63 - 'O Thou, With Hate Surrounded'
    18. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 64 - 'And After They Had Mocked Him' (Recitative: Evangelist)
    19. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 69 - 'Ah, Golgotha!'
    20. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 70 - 'Look Ye, Jesu Waiting Stands'
    21. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 71 - 'Now From The Sixth Hour' (Recitative: Evangelist, Jesus)
    22. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 71 - 'He Calleth For Elijah'
    23. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 71 - 'And Straightaway One Of Them Ran' (Recitative: Evangelist)
    24. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 71 - 'Wait, And See If Elijah Cometh To Save Him'
    25. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 71 - 'And Again Jesus Cried Aloud' (Recitative: Evangelist)
    26. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 71 - 'When I Too Am Departing'
    27. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 73 - 'And Then, Behold, The Veil Of The Temple' (Accompanied Recitative: Evangelist)
    28. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 73 - 'Truly, This Was The Son Of God'
    29. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 73 - 'At Eventide There Came A Rich Man' (Recitative: Evangelist)
    30. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 74 - 'At Evening, Hour Of Calm And Peace' (Accompanied Recitative: Bass)
    31. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 75 - 'Make Thee Clean, My Heart, From Sin' (Aria: Bass)
    32. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 77 - 'And Now The Lord To Rest Is Laid'
    33. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part II: No. 78 - 'In Deepest Grief, Here Sit We Weeping'

dBpoweramp Guru

Gee whizz Oggy,

That's a hell of a copy&paste!

I am going to only use the back-end of the text for each track (eg.):

Part I :No.1 - 'Come, Ye Daughters'

And the following is truncated and used in the ALBUMTITLE tag only:

St. Matthew Passion (BWV244)

instead of the elongated:

The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew

Will take me a good hour or so to make the modifications but it will be time well spent, thanks.

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-12-2018 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy,

Is there missing information for 8 tracks here?:

5. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 5 - 'Not Upon The Feast'
    6. The Passion Of Our Lord According To St. Matthew, BWV 244: Part I: No. 13 - 'Now On The First Day' (Recitative: Evangelist)

I only just noticed!

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-13-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru
    Last edited by Oggy; 10-13-2018 at 12:46 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Oggy,

Is there missing information for 8 tracks here?:

I only just noticed!

Cheers,

Paul
    Hi Paul,

I simply copied it from:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-St-Mat.../dp/B00000I0W3

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    OK, I see; cheers Oggy.

Paul