title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Originally posted by garym
    In that case, I'd look at the settings of the ID TAG UPDATE you are "converting to" when you embedded the album art using batch processing (this is different from the DSP used in your ripping stage). In its settings, there is also an "additions" tab. Make sure you haven't somehow added these tag fields there.
    OK, thanks garym, I'll have a look later. As for now though, have I messed up all of the files in my library to date? Or will there be some way of changing them so as to remove the unwanted additional/duplicate tags/fields, please? Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-26-2018, 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
      OK, thanks garym, I'll have a look later. As for now though, have I messed up all of the files in my library to date? Or will there be some way of changing them so as to remove the unwanted additional/duplicate tags/fields, please? Cheers.
      no, nothing is messed up. You just need to delete those stray tags. Easy to do in batch format. Run dbpa Batch Converter (just like you did to embed art). But you'll be converting to ID TAG UPDATE and in it's settings, click on the DELETIONS tab. Within that tab, indicate the two extra tag fields you want to delete, then run the "conversion". Don't forget to click FINISH at the end. (as always, I assume you have good backups in case you make some error in all this).

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

no, nothing is messed up. You just need to delete those stray tags. Easy to do in batch format. Run dbpa Batch Converter (just like you did to embed art). But you'll be converting to ID TAG UPDATE and in it's settings, click on the DELETIONS tab. Within that tab, indicate the two extra tag fields you want to delete, then run the "conversion". Don't forget to click FINISH at the end. (as always, I assume you have good backups in case you make some error in all this).
        Thanks a lot garym, I'll give it a try either tonight or tomorrow. Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Conversion has begun. It's going to take 6 hours! ...

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Conversion has begun. It's going to take 6 hours! ...
            don't forget to hit the FINISH button at the end.

Comment

• schmidj
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2013

Two things, first a cautionary question: You did keep a drive with the original ripped files safely stored before converting a second copy? You always want to have duplicate copies in case you or the equipment screws up. That is your safety net, and also your troubleshooting aid. Are these extraneous tags on the original "safety" drive? Then they were in all likelihood there from the original rips.

Now if that was the case, you may have fallen into a slight trap. When obtaining metadata from the providers, there are many tags that they may have, and copy to your file tags, that are not visible on the upper part of the dBpoweramp screen. This includes, among many other items, the "sort" tags, in whatever format the provider used. They are all visible if you click on the "tags" tab in the bottom center window of the ripping page. But read what it says carefully: Unless you select each track individually on the upper part of the screen, you will only see the tags "common to all the tracks". So if there are different composer sort tags for different tracks, you won't see them there unless you select each of the tracks above one-by-one. And for compilation CDs , this will always apply to artist sort tags as well. I have fallen into this trap on several occasions when one or another provider came up with the metadata for the wrong CD, and some of that totally wrong metadata got saved as the provider with the correct data didn't provide sort tags.

After the fact, the best way to see the tags is to use the right click "edit ID tag" action on the files in Windows Explorer. That will show you all the tags that are actually present on your files (and is a convenient way to make corrections).

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

don't forget to hit the FINISH button at the end.
                It took 6 and a half hours!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by schmidj
                  Two things, first a cautionary question: You did keep a drive with the original ripped files safely stored before converting a second copy? You always want to have duplicate copies in case you or the equipment screws up. That is your safety net, and also your troubleshooting aid. Are these extraneous tags on the original "safety" drive? Then they were in all likelihood there from the original rips.
                  Hi Schmidj,

Thanks a lot. I will have a good read through shortly.

I did not realize that there were also TITLESORT and ALBUMSORT added! I only just noticed both of these. And so I guess I will have to perform the 'ID Tag Processing' again! Please see screenshot:

ALL of my originals AND back-ups have the extra/duplicate tags on. I just checked. But the most recent procedure run last night was only run on one drive.

Cheers,

Paul
                  Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-27-2018, 03:23 PM. Reason: Link

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Hi Schmidj,

Thanks a lot. I will have a good read through shortly.

I did not realize that there were also TITLESORT and ALBUMSORT added! I only just noticed both of these. And so I guess I will have to perform the 'ID Tag Processing' again! Please see screenshot:
                    ALL of my originals AND back-ups have the extra/duplicate tags on. I just checked. But the most recent procedure run last night was only run on one drive.

Cheers,

Paul
                    to be clear, you've checked the DSP tabs for "additions" in the ID TAG UPDATE DSP you are using to do the conversion and previously to embed artwork to make sure you haven't accidentally set it to add these duplicate tags? SECONDLY, be sure you undo the settings to embed artwork when you run ID TAG UPDATE. Otherwise you'll be re-embedding the artwork a second time. No need for that (and it takes a lot more time than just deleting tags).

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

(Post-608 LINK is working now!)

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

SECONDLY, be sure you undo the settings to embed artwork when you run ID TAG UPDATE. Otherwise you'll be re-embedding the artwork a second time. No need for that (and it takes a lot more time than just deleting tags).
                        Hi garym,

Last night I UNCHECKED the box for "force embedded to jpeg", but I don't think I did anything else.

This was only tested on a spare-copy so I still have the original safe.

Paul

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Hi garym,

Last night I UNCHECKED the box for "force embedded to jpeg", but I don't think I did anything else.

This was only tested on a spare-copy so I still have the original safe.

Paul
                          Ok. That&*8217;s good. But have you looked at the additions tab????

Comment

• mville
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2008

I'm with schmidj on this, in that the extra tags are (inadvertently) obtained from the online metadata databases.

For me, this is just another reason why users need to be vigilante and check ALL the metadata tags prior to ripping, if you don't want spurious tag data added to your audio files.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mville
                              I'm with schmidj on this, in that the extra tags are (inadvertently) obtained from the online metadata databases.

For me, this is just another reason why users need to be vigilante and check ALL the metadata tags prior to ripping, if you don't want spurious tag data added to your audio files.
                              I honestly had no idea that this scenario could arise. I have never checked each track individually before a rip. I just assumed (as I had no idea to suspect otherwise) that the settings one had made in 'dBpa' overrode any such conflictions. Please see screenshot:

If online metadata is prone to causing issues, then would one not be best just keying in ALL of their own data?

Paul
                              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-28-2018, 04:30 PM. Reason: Link

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

If online metadata is prone to causing issues, then would one not be best just keying in ALL of their own data?

Paul
                                no. Editing way faster than keying in everything. Also, I think something in your settings is adding these tags. I have ripped thousands of disks and never had these extra tags added. I suspect you have some accidental settings in the batch converter dsps. Plus, have you tested that in ripping you don&*8217;t get the extra tags but they only get added when you run batch conversion to embed art.

Comment

Working...

]]>