title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Originally posted by Oggy
    I have had a look at your post, and I'm not sure what you want my thoughts on - all the semi-colons?

I do personally prefer the colon, and actually use them a lot, so far without drama, but I couldn't guarantee that I will not have problems with different players and software in the future.

It would be good to know which players have problems with the restricted characters.

There are obviously other characters you could use, but I'm not sure I fully understand your concern.
    Thanks for taking the time out to check Oggy.

Just to clarify the specific aspect of my question, it relates to the fact that (on my Windows PC at least!), it is (seemingly) not possible to include semi-colons within the title (ie. album title) of the folder-name. So, for classicals (where I, and I think Jailhouse?), like to include the composer's surname at the start, Windows will not permit this as a folder-name:
    (in 'dBpa') ALBUM = Brahms: Symphony No.1; Lullaby

But the folder-name appears:
    (in Windoze) Brahms; Symphony No.1; Lullaby

So, obviously, Windows won't permit (ie. illegal character) a semi-colon within a folder-name. Does this bother you? (if you are on PC). As I implied in my post 449, if you did not know that 'Brahms' was a composer (there will be people who don't, of course!), then you could be forgiven for thinking that the above CD contained 3 tracks, as opposed to 2 (ie. thinking that 'Brahms' was a track!).

However, there are no issues in this regard within foobar.

Cheers,

Paul

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reich_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	293872

Name:	Reich_2.jpg
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	293873
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-30-2018, 12:30 PM. Reason: Image

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick

Just to clarify the specific aspect of my question, it relates to the fact that (on my Windows PC at least!), it is (seemingly) not possible to include semi-colons within the title (ie. album title) of the folder-name.
      Your examples are correct, but your statement above is reversed. Windows will NOT allow one to use a colon in a file name (no ":") and instead dbpa replaces the ":" with a semi-colon (";"). Of course this is all in the file and directory name only. The TAGS of the file will allow use of colon ":"

edit: or maybe this is British vs America grammar. I had a British colleague that (in my opinion) always used colons and semi-colons incorrectly. He argued that he was doing it the British way. I guess I'm asking what you call this: ":"? In America, we call that a colon. And this is a semi-colon ";"
      Last edited by garym; 03-30-2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• Oggy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by garym
        Your examples are correct, but your statement above is reversed. Windows will NOT allow one to use a colon in a file name (no ":") and instead dbpa replaces the ":" with a semi-colon (";"). Of course this is all in the file and directory name only. The TAGS of the file will allow use of colon ":"

edit: or maybe this is British vs America grammar. I had a British colleague that (in my opinion) always used colons and semi-colons incorrectly. He argued that he was doing it the British way. I guess I'm asking what you call this: ":"? In America, we call that a colon. And this is a semi-colon ";"
        No British and American grammar the same, a colon is simply :

As you say, Paul did reverse them, which as I missed that, and went on what I knew he meant, goes to show that I don't read what is actually in front of my eyes!

garym, do you know of any players / software that are known to have issues with these problematical Windows characters?

Would I be right in thinking that the Mac version doesn't have the character replacement?

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

No British and American grammar the same, a colon is simply :

As you say, Paul did reverse them, which as I missed that, and went on what I knew he meant, goes to show that I don't read what is actually in front of my eyes!

garym, do you know of any players / software that are known to have issues with these problematical Windows characters?

Would I be right in thinking that the Mac version doesn't have the character replacement?
          no clue about Mac. But I've never had any issue with LMS/Squeezeboxes, SONOS, Roon Labs, Foobar2000, Windows Media Player, VLC, iTunes, ipods, iphones, ipads

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Cheers Gary,

Thanks for pointing out my typo (it does happen from time to time, even though I do try to double-check my spellings after posting). But yes, your correction is precisely what I was meaning to say (should I go back and edit my post now?).

And so, it is a Windows aspect rather than a 'dBpa' one? When I state 'parent-folder' and 'folder-name', should I really be calling these 'file' and 'directory' names?

In the UK (I am not aware that this differs in any country):
            colon = :

semi-colon = ;

A colon precedes a list or a title or an instruction. A semicolon separates the contents of a list. I think I told you that I studied GCSE English last year at night school. We spent almost a whole term on punctuation, hence it is still pretty fresh in my mind. One of the things I wanted to do, and am continuing to try to do, is to apply what I learnt in my English classes to tagging (if you know what I mean). Hence, all of my pedantic questions over capitalizations, spacing, roman-numerals, etc! I am no expert though (and I certainly do not want to appear pompous here); for example, I no nothing whatsoever of foreign languages (eg. when tagging opera CDs).

I used to throw many questions at our English teacher regarding UK vs. US. The reason being is that I have always read Stephen King and Dean Koontz books. In the end, the same two replies became commonplace:
            "Whatever you do, make sure it remains consistent throughout your work."

"When you are an established/famous author, you can do as you bloody well please!"

Paul
            Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-30-2018, 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Oggy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2015

Just to clarify the specific aspect of my question, it relates to the fact that (on my Windows PC at least!), it is (seemingly) not possible to include semi-colons within the title (ie. album title) of the folder-name. So, for classicals (where I, and I think Jailhouse?), like to include the composer's surname at the start, Windows will not permit this as a folder-name:
              (in 'dBpa') ALBUM = Brahms: Symphony No.1; Lullaby

But the folder-name appears:
              (in Windoze) Brahms; Symphony No.1; Lullaby

So, obviously, Windows won't permit (ie. illegal character) a semi-colon within a folder-name. Does this bother you? (if you are on PC). As I implied in my post 449, if you did not know that 'Brahms' was a composer (there will be people who don't, of course!), then you could be forgiven for thinking that the above CD contained 3 tracks, as opposed to 2 (ie. thinking that 'Brahms' was a track!).

However, there are no issues in this regard within foobar.

Cheers,

Paul

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2061[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2062[/ATTACH]
              Well, I wish Windows didn't do this and that there weren't illegal characters, but it is what it is: as the Tags show the colon, the / in AC/DC and the question mark in Crisis? What Crisis? possibly inadvisably, I use them.

The Spanish inquisition ¿ is totally wrong - nobody expected the Spanish inquisition!
              Last edited by Oggy; 03-30-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Hi Mville,

Originally posted by mville
                I get confused by these questions. Surely, it all depends on how you want to sort Annelie De Man, which you fail to mention.
                I meant I found the tone of your reply a little cutting. It probably was not meant and the interpretation of one's texts can, at times, easily become misconstrued.

As I say, I do not really want to be squabbling on here, or getting barred, which is why I said let's just leave it now.

Cheers,

Paul
                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-30-2018, 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Oggy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Cheers Gary,

Thanks for pointing out my typo (it does happen from time to time, even though I do try to double-check my spellings after posting). But yes, your correction is precisely what I was meaning to say (should I go back and edit my post now?).

And so, it is a Windows aspect rather than a 'dBpa' one? When I state 'parent-folder' and 'folder-name', should I really be calling these 'file' and 'directory' names?

In the UK (I am not aware that this differs in any country):
                  colon = :

semi-colon = ;

A colon precedes a list or a title or an instruction. A semicolon separates the contents of a list. I think I told you that I studied GCSE English last year at night school. We spent almost a whole term on punctuation, hence it is still pretty fresh in my mind. One of the things I wanted to do, and am continuing to try to do, is to apply what I learnt in my English classes to tagging (if you know what I mean). Hence, all of my pedantic questions over capitalizations, spacing, roman-numerals, etc! I am no expert though (and I certainly do not want to appear pompous here); for example, I no nothing whatsoever of foreign languages (eg. when tagging opera CDs).

I used to throw many questions at our English teacher regarding UK vs. US. The reason being is that I have always read Stephen King and Dean Koontz books. In the end, the same two replies became commonplace:
                  "Whatever you do, make sure it remains consistent throughout your work."

"When you are an established/famous author, you can do as you bloody well please!"

Paul
                  Paul,

I love the obviously deliberate Freudian slip! No / know!!
                  Last edited by Oggy; 03-30-2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

I used directory name to be the same as you probably mean by folder name. The parent folder would simply be the highest level directory. I'm not saying these are official names, just how I refer to things.

For example:

C:\music is a directory name and also a folder name (music) and also in this case the "parent" folder as it is at the top.

C:\music\FLAC - FLAC is a directory name and a folder name (FLAC). But music is the parent folder related to FLAC. I would also refer to the FLAC directory as a "subdirectory".

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

The Spanish inquisition ¿ is totally wrong - nobody expected the Spanish inquisition!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Well, I wish Windows didn't do this and that there weren't illegal characters, but it is what it is: as the Tags show the colon, the / in AC/DC and the question mark in Crisis? What Crisis? possibly inadvisably, I use them.

I have Miles Davis's "What I Say" (2 volumes).

In relation to Oggy's mention of '?', this punctuation appears correctly in foobar, but inverted in Windoze (and it won't allow me to change it [illegal character] so I have left it inverted):

Name:	Miles_1.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	293874

Name:	Miles_2.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	293875

I assume I have done the correct thing? I prefer an invert to a pervert!

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

I love the obviously deliberate Freudian slip! No / know!!
                          Ha ha, well done. Very perceptive!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

I used directory name to be the same as you probably mean by folder name. The parent folder would simply be the highest level directory. I'm not saying these are official names, just how I refer to things.

For example:

C:\music is a directory name and also a folder name (music) and also in this case the "parent" folder as it is at the top.

C:\music\FLAC - FLAC is a directory name and a folder name (FLAC). But music is the parent folder related to FLAC. I would also refer to the FLAC directory as a "subdirectory".
                            That's great; cheers Gary.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Gary,

So shall I just let Windows do it's thing and not worry how the characters appear in the album folder titles? I mean, as long as they appear to my satisfaction with foobar then that is all that really matters. Do I really need to be concerned that a colon has been (automatically) replaced by a semi-colon within the folder-name?

Paul

Comment

• mville
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Dec 2008

So shall I just let Windows do it's thing and not worry how the characters appear in the album folder titles? I mean, as long as they appear to my satisfaction with foobar then that is all that really matters. Do I really need to be concerned that a colon has been (automatically) replaced by a semi-colon within the folder-name?
                                It isn't windows changing characters, it is what you have set in CD Ripper >> Menu >> CD Ripper Options >> Filename restricted characters

This has no effect on your tags.

Comment

Working...

]]>