title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Originally posted by Dat Ei
    Roman numbers with characters in lower case? Not so sophisticated...
    Dat Ei,

Well, perhaps not to you!

I was simply complimenting Oggy's hard work in adhering to Western Classic Music terminology. Academically, Oggy is 100% correct in all of his interpretations.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-08-2018, 10:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Jailhouse
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
      Thinking ahead though, what about when ripping (say) Beethoven symphonies? Would you tag the same as Shostakovich (above) and place the OPUS NO. in the ALBUM NAME only, please?
      Where the opus number is the same for all the tracks on a CD, yes. The lack of an opus number in the track names indicates that the information is already provided in the album name. This assumes you're displaying the album name during playback. If you aren't, keeping the information in the tracks names might be desired.

I think, with symphonies, that the Opus No. is the SAME for all 4 x Movements?
      I believe the opus number should cover the entire composition, yes. Watch out, though, for CDs including works in addition to the title symphony; I can't think of any at the moment, but I'm reasonably certain they exist. I would put the opus numbers in the Track tags for those works.

Comment

• Jailhouse
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2016

Roman numbers with characters in lower case? Not so sophisticated...
        Oh, I don't know, I see it quite often in that context. To me, it keeps the numerals from overwhelming the following text.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
          Where the opus number is the same for all the tracks on a CD, yes. The lack of an opus number in the track names indicates that the information is already provided in the album name. This assumes you're displaying the album name during playback. If you aren't, keeping the information in the tracks names might be desired.
          Thanks JH,

That makes perfect sense.

Yes, album name IS displayed during playback (on Amazon Fire Tablet).

Cheers.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

I believe the opus number should cover the entire composition, yes. Watch out, though, for CDs including works in addition to the title symphony; I can't think of any at the moment, but I'm reasonably certain they exist. I would put the opus numbers in the Track tags for those works.
            JH,

I have quite few NAXOS CDs which feature two different artists (related in some way or another). Say, Bach and Handel, or Beethoven and Haydn. I am sure that many of these CDs have one symphony by each artist.

Cheers.

Comment

• Oggy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2015

JH,

I have quite few NAXOS CDs which feature two different artists (related in some way or another). Say, Bach and Handel, or Beethoven and Haydn. I am sure that many of these CDs have one symphony by each artist.

Cheers.
              Hi Paul,

As you know there are disadvantages to splitting a CD into individual symphonies, but as you see, that is what I did with the Beethoven symphonies. Some would (probably rightly) caution against doing this.

The NAXOS CD series was excellent, with numerous great performances at a good price.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy

As you know there are disadvantages to splitting a CD into individual symphonies, but as you see, that is what I did with the Beethoven symphonies. Some would (probably rightly) caution against doing this.

The NAXOS CD series was excellent, with numerous great performances at a good price.
                Oggy,

I will have another study of your Beethoven scans before I rip any dual-composer/symphony CDs.

There is another label similar to Naxos. I think it's called Klassic?

Paul

Comment

• Dat Ei
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Feb 2014

Oh, I don't know, I see it quite often in that context.
                  Yes, but that is a question of design, not sophistication. Only upper case letters have been included in the Roman Alphabet. So the Roman numeric characters have been upper case letters too.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Jailhouse
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2016

Yes, but that is a question of design, not sophistication.
                    A design decision, yes, although in my opinion not unsophisticated--it's just there, and I can't find it in me to be a stickler for using upper case. I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Only upper case letters have been included in the Roman Alphabet. So the Roman numeric characters have been upper case letters too.
                    Of course; it couldn't have been any other way, back then. But it is said that rules are made to be broken, and the appearance of lower case lettering has given designers the opportunity to break this one.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Hi again,

I am ripping a STRING QUARTET CD by Arnold Schoenberg:

I am quite stuck on how to tag the TITLE of each track, please? They look quite verbose!:

Whether this makes any difference or not, I am planning to place the Op. No. in parenthesis (as they are in my Bach and Schostakovich CDs). And, trying to incorporate the Op. No. (as they are in my Bach and Schostakovich CDs) in the ALBUM NAME. So, something like:
                      ALBUM NAME = Schoenberg: The Complete String Quartets (Op. 7), (Op. 10), (Op. 30), (Op. 37)

... or something to that effect!

Many thanks,

Paul
                      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-09-2018, 06:13 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

... maybe tag the TRACKS something like?:
                        String Quartet No.1 in D minor: i Nicht zu rasch

String Quartet No.1 in D minor: ii Kräftig (nicht zu rasch)

String Quartet No.1 in D minor: iii Mäßig (langsame viertel)

String Quartet No.1 in D minor: iv Mäßig (heiter)

Here's how Jarrett/Bach looks now:
                        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-09-2018, 06:19 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• Jailhouse
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Sep 2016

ALBUM NAME = Schoenberg: The Complete String Quartets (Op. 7), (Op. 10), (Op. 30), (Op. 37)
                          Save yourself a few parentheses:
                          Schoenberg: The Complete String Quartets (Op. 7, Op. 10, Op. 30, Op. 37)

You might also consider:
                          Schoenberg: The Complete String Quartets (Op. 7, 10, 30, 37)

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Save yourself a few parentheses:
                            Schoenberg: The Complete String Quartets (Op. 7, Op. 10, Op. 30, Op. 37)

You might also consider:
                            Schoenberg: The Complete String Quartets (Op. 7, 10, 30, 37)
                            OK great, JH,

I will definitely go with one of those.

Cheers

Comment

• Jailhouse
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2016

... maybe tag the TRACKS something like?:
                              String Quartet No.1 in D minor: i Nicht zu rasch

String Quartet No.1 in D minor: ii Kräftig (nicht zu rasch)

String Quartet No.1 in D minor: iii Mäßig (langsame viertel)

String Quartet No.1 in D minor: iv Mäßig (heiter)
                              I would capitalize "Minor" (as you have with the Jarrett tracks).

Here's how Jarrett/Bach looks now:
                              Looks good to me.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
                                Together with the Italian musical terms in the track title, I thought lower case looked better than the capitalise first letters I use in popular music. First movement I simplified to i

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2043[/ATTACH]
                                Hi,

In the screenshot Oggy kindly u/l, as regards to (Beethoven) 'Symphony No. 5 in C Minor', I have a couple of comments, if I may.

Oggy chooses to place a space in 'No. 5'. I actually originally did this on all of my JAZZ genre rips since July last. For instance, on Miles Davis's 'Blues No. 2' (from 'Circle In The Round' CD). And I initially followed suit with my recent Jarrett-Bach/Schostakovich rips of this week. For example, 'Prelude & Fugue No. 1 In C Major'. However, this evening (and it has taken me nearly 2 hours to perform these edits!), I have decided to remove the space from all such scenarios. And so, I now have:
                                (Miles Davis) 'Blues No.2'

(Bach) 'Prelude & Fugue No.1 In C Major'

The reason being, the space looked fine on the JAZZ CDs because the titles are simple, but it looked clumsy on the CLASSICAL CDs because the titles are complex. This is just my own opinion and not at all a criticism of Oggy's excellent work. I was just going to edit my CLASSICALs in this regard, but then I decided I wanted to maintain absolute consistency regardless of genre, and so I altered all of my JAZZ rips to.

Secondly, Oggy chooses to lower-case the 'in' which joins the 'Work' to the 'Key-Signature'. I am considering doing this myself, but I am still 50/50 over it. I do think this scheme looks very easy on the eye, but it means spending another good hour re-tagging. Is it really worth it?, or will I regret it later down the line if I don't? (and consequently end up with 50+ CLASSICAL CDs to re-tag in this regard!).

Thirdly, I am very tempted to insert a 'comma' in certain CLASSICAL titles. These would fall between the 'Work No.' and the 'Key-Signature'. For instance, at the moment I have:
                                (Schoenberg) String Quartet No.1 In D Minor: i. Nicht Zu Rasch ''
                                (Bach) 'Prelude No.1 In C Major'

and so with the comma in place the result would be:
                                (Schoenberg) String Quartet No.1, In D Minor: i. Nicht Zu Rasch ''
                                (Bach) 'Prelude No.1, In C Major'

and then following Oggy's lower-case legend:
                                (Schoenberg) String Quartet No.1, in D Minor: i. Nicht Zu Rasch ''
                                (Bach) 'Prelude No.1, in C Major'

Any advice would be appreciated as always.

Comment

Working...

]]>